Help fixing cylinder 2 misfire on 2.4

ChitownKen

Hi, about a week ago my 2.4L on my 2003 began running rough and I found out it was a cylinder 2 misfire. I replaced the plugs and no change. Today I replaced the wires and still no change.

Should my next step be to change the coil or swap the injectors to see if that indicates a bad injector? Or should I just buy some new better injectors and see if that does the trick?

Thank you!

Very highly unlikely it's an injector as they seldom go bad.

What spark plug did you use, and did you check the gap on them?

Do the 2.4s have coil packs or no?

It might be worth checking the coil pack in that case.

This video shows how to test the coil packs on a 4.0, but it's the same principle on a 2.4. This would at least rule the coil pack out as the culprit:

Are you getting a P302 code?
Are you getting any other engine codes ?
I have been chasing a misfire in cyl 3 for months and i now believe it has a 'tulip' valve, which is associated with some 4 cyl jeep engines.
You might try swapping the cyl 2 spark plug with another plug, clear the code and see if it returns.
You might also swap the cyl 2 spark plug wire with another to rule that out as well.
Same with the #2 injector. Swap some parts, clear the code. If the code comes back we need to do some more troubleshooting

Last edited:
I am getting a P302 code and at times a P0523 code for oil pressure. I will probably try swapping some parts next weekend to see if I can get something figured out.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I have stock tires and I haven't done any gear work. The jeep was completely stock when I bought it '06. I think 4.10 gears? it has 101K on it and I haven't done any work on the tranny.

I checked the fuel injector connector earlier this week. It looked fine but I couldn't really get the best view of it. I decided to wait until I got the new coil pack installed before I looked at anything else. Tonight I installed the new coil pack and it ran a little rough at first but the engine slowly smoothed out. I drove it a few miles and except for the engine light still being on everything seemed normal. Hopefully this problem is solved. Thank you all for the help!