Help identifying coolant leak on TJ

Allyson

Please help diagnose.

867F7B12-CC01-4D9F-8F98-2CB8119A0EC2.jpeg

Meaning water pump is bad?

Meaning the water pump seal is likely bad. However, you'd be silly not to replace the water pump at the same time, as the water pump has to come off to replace the seal.

If you can't actually see the source of the leak and the leakage seems to be coming from behind that big pulley, odds are high that it's the water pump that is leaking as Chris suggested.

Avoid cheap store brand water pumps as you'll just be replacing it again sooner than you'd like. Personally I'd look for a Mopar water pump. If you replace it, make sure to get ALL of the old gasket material off the block or you'll cause a leak where the water pump bolts to the block. A putty knife to scrape the old gasket material off together with a small wire brush to finish the cleanup is recommended.

Use a gasket, don't seal it with RTV. Also note which bolt hole each bolt came so they can go back into the same bolt holes as there are two different length bolts.

To answer your question on the difficulty, it's not as easy as changing the spark plugs but the water pump just bolts in. There's nothing technically challenging other than its awkward location.

Also what model year and engine size?

If you go to O’rileys , they have a pressure tester in their rental/loaner tools. Pump your system to 20 lbs or sovand you should see the leak. You might need a cheap (harbor freight) inspection mirror to get a good look at that pump.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
The leak could also easily be the upper radiator hose or thermostat housing. Don't replace parts until you see where the leak is. The water pump is a good guess but that's all it is.

Reactions: tj_Joe
One thing you could do to help locate the leak is to wipe off the coolant you see, and then leave or jam paper towels above the coolant you see and around the water pump or thermostat housing and check them in half an hour to see which paper towels are soaked. That should really help narrow it down. Once you find the leak which is either going to be the water pump or it could be something as simple as a radiator hose clamp needing to be tightened.

Find the leak and report back. Pictures could help us help you too.

So I’m going to run it for ten minutes. Turn it off and do the paper towel test. I will report back with pictures.

2000 with a 4.0
If the problem proves out to be the water pump, this is the correct model for your 2000 with the 4.0L engine. Don't get fooled by those that say OEM replacement, that does not mean it's actually the OEM (Mopar).

https://www.wermopar.com/oem-parts/...nbGVyJnk9MjAwMCZ0PXNwb3J0JmU9NC0wbC1sNi1nYXM=
Yes you can find cheaper water pumps but it's a big enough PITA to replace that I wouldn't chance a cheap replacement. It's a critical part, I would only go Mopar for that part myself.

Reactions: twistedlv
Nope, should only be oil leaking through there, and hopefully not anything leaking from the oil pan gasket. It most likely dripped down there from above, or has splashed there from the belt also from above. Clean that off and try again. Keep following the signs of coolant up till you find whats leaking.

Reactions: pagrey