Help identifying coolant leak on TJ

When my pump started to leak, the location on the oil pan you're pointing at is where I first seen signs of a leak. There is a weep hole on the underside that will leak coolant when the seal fails. As @pagrey said though, there are other things in that general location that could also be leaking. Upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing, heater hose to the thermostat housing, the thermostat housing itself, coolant temp sensor in the water pump, lower radiator hose to the water pump or the metal tube that comes off the water pump.

Just me .02¢. Flush the cooling system, replace the pump, hoses, thermostat, and fan clutch while you are right there. The parts are not expensive and doing it all at the same time is easier and cheaper. You can do this job with a little confidence and perhaps a friend with experience. I'd even replace the fan belt if the age is questionable. You will never regret over doing maintenance. Inspect the inside and outside of the radiator and don't be afraid to replace it as well. One shot, one kill. There is a metal pipe coming off of the water pump, replace that as well. Murphy's law always gets me if I cut any corners. Plan on a scorched earth maintenance and you will thwart Murphy.

Reactions: reddvltj
New to the forum I just turned 58 today...and just purchased a 97 Wrangler Sport as my present for myself! I haven't done any serious wrenching on vehicles since the 80s but figured a "hobby" jeep would be a good start to get back into the knuckle busting and cussing practice. The jeep was listed at a low cost and the seller honestly and up front listed all he thought wrong... of which I physically confirmed. One thing he may have missed... seller indicated "blown head gasket/cracked head" which didn't discourage me, just lowered my offer. While looking over the vehicle, top to bottom, frame to seat, bumper to bumper, I noted that where he indicated "head" failure and resultant "coolant" everywhere observations didn't seem to me to show anything but evidence of pooling or "sprayed" on prior coolant. And, when I opened the cap on radiator, coolant ran out from what I assumed to be water pump/thermostat housing. Put the cap back on and it stops. Take cap off and coolant runs out again, same location. I think the "cracked head" issue he thought he had is not correct and its a shot water pump seal. Seller didn't get a mechanic to look at it. He went online, read about the Tupy head casting issue and assumed that was problem. I looked at head, as recommended elsewhere on this forum for identifying heads. Its not a Tupy that cracks head. I think its water pump related. Also oil in pan is clean... no mocha color or similar sludge; coolant clean with no apparent audulteration of hydrcarbon products (tested it with my water quality test kit from work); cylinders looked clean, no moisture etc., and it never blew whiteish smoke from exhaust. In fact, after the one "blown/cracked" head incident the guy garaged it to sell.
Starts, runs, has some rust (one fender and near windshield hinge) and I think I got a steal on price and condition but my question is on my diagnosis of a waterpump issue/seal failure? Anyone with any input or thoughts?
Thanks!

Pressure test the cooling system and go from there. Water pumps do fail and is a likely cause, but check the whole rig out and make a list and a plan of attack.

I just went through this as I replaced everything in MY TJ this weekend. Started with a new RAD and thermostat housing. everytime I dumped coolant in water would come gushing out from what I thought was the water pump. So I opened her up completely and replaced the water pump. new gaskets all the way around. filled her up again and same issue. this time however since the front of the engine was nice and clean now, I actually saw that the leak was coming from my new thermostat housing gasket. Opened that back up and noticed the thermostat had dropped about 1/8 of an inch creating an air pocket and the seal was bad. replaced the gasket, however this time tacked the thermostat to this time tacked the thermostat up with a tad bit of RTV to keep in in place while I put the housing on. No more leask.

All that being said, if your replacing the water pump, you might think about the thermostat as well. the leak will look like it is coming from the same location. at least in my experience.

I just went through this as I replaced everything in MY TJ this weekend. Started with a new RAD and thermostat housing. everytime I dumped coolant in water would come gushing out from what I thought was the water pump. So I opened her up completely and replaced the water pump. new gaskets all the way around. filled her up again and same issue. this time however since the front of the engine was nice and clean now, I actually saw that the leak was coming from my new thermostat housing gasket. Opened that back up and noticed the thermostat had dropped about 1/8 of an inch creating an air pocket and the seal was bad. replaced the gasket, however this time tacked the thermostat to this time tacked the thermostat up with a tad bit of RTV to keep in in place while I put the housing on. No more leask.

All that being said, if your replacing the water pump, you might think about the thermostat as well. the leak will look like it is coming from the same location. at least in my experience.

This is good to know and planned on doing the whole enchiladas... radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc while had stuff apart.
Thanks!