Help identifying soft top hardware

clwhitt

My wife and I picked up this 1997 Jeep TJ earlier this year and I'm trying to identify who makes the soft top hardware and what pieces I'm missing. Unlike the OEM hardware I've seen, the two bows on this Jeep pivot on a horizontal rail rather than the pivot bracket on the roll bar (that bracket is there, but does not seem to be part of the equation on this mount). The two bows pivot up, one for the rear and one comes up to the middle of the vehicle, which also have two smaller rods, one which appears to go to the front top mount (that is on the top of the windshield - but seems to be missing something to actually attach to the top mount) and another smaller curved rod that seems to want to rest in the area of the aft door post (but it too does not mount to anything).
The picture is not the best for seeing everything, but hopefully someone here will recognize this and can point me to some place to get further information.

Thanks,
Chuck
20180711_101205_cropped.jpg

I haven’t seen that type of soft top frame before. So I wouldn’t know what type of soft top will fit. As for the top of your windshield it looks like you might have a windshield header.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mastert...MI1Lve_pDH3wIVDtRkCh1x_wlWEAQYAyABEgIWSvD_BwE

Two bolts hold it down unscrew them to allow for soft top frame to mount. A good soft top replacement will be Bestop tops. On the high end of price but highly recommend great quality material. The top will come with everything you need Frame+Soft top.

Thanks for the reply. The header is attached with two bolts as the link mentions, it comes off easily and has a channel in the front that stiff part of the soft top slides into. I think Edward's got it right. I have to sheepishly admit that I had not previously noted that the rear bow slides up the center bow and snaps into a hole. Doing that, it looks exactly like the picture. So...looking up the install instructions, it looks like I'm missing a windshield bracket, though I'm not clear on how the horizontal rod attaches to that. And the vertical "door surround" rod does not reach all the way to the side horizontal bracket (though it does look slightly bent, but not enough to make up the space), but I don't see any other missing parts in the install instructions
jeep windshield bracket.png
20181230_082505.jpg
20181230_082435.jpg
20181230_082405.jpg
20181230_082350.jpg
jeep horizontal rod attachment.png

That’s very weird if that windshield header was meant for that top it should have a place for the Horizontal Rod. As for the curved rod it should be able to reach all the way down. I have the same exact frame on a YJ and it is bestop too. That’s why I’m thinking it might be a YJ frame. Here are some pics they look very similar.

8526E54E-5CAE-4A7E-981C-9C3640AABE12.jpeg

4D9785A9-2E10-4C25-A709-DE42AA44DF15.jpeg

3A36AF7F-AACE-491E-A77F-EF5DEBC3C25F.jpeg

5489A4F8-E945-429C-A7B4-9D741EE3C8DB.jpeg

0A7D05F9-14BE-4D86-82D4-09AA9101A7A0.jpeg

I bought this soft top used that’s why I don’t have the place for the Horizontal Rod. I also just found out the rear bow goes up and snaps into the holes there by reading what you said. The soft top used to fit loose now it fits in right like it should.

I’m wrong the windshield header is just for the front of the soft top. Where your rollbar connects to the windshield frame that Torx bolt comes off and a mount for the Horizontal rod goes there. I probably would buy a brand new soft top and frame.

That video just reinforces my belief that I'm missing the windshield brackets (for a YJ). I'll have to pull off the header to verify that the holes are there that the bracket should mount to. But you're probably right, given the mishmash of components, I would probably be better off just buying all new parts.

Last edited:
The whole setup looks like a Bestop Supertop, but not the current Supertop NX, which is just like the OEM top. I'd ditch that and get a Supertop NX, with all the new hardware.

Reactions: clwhitt
The whole setup looks like a Bestop Supertop, but not the current Supertop NX, which is just like the OEM top. I'd ditch that and get a Supertop NX, with all the new hardware.

Am I correct in understanding that the Supertops require the full door's? If I'm understanding this right, soft windows require a door surround, which I don't see being included with the Supertops.

Am I correct in understanding that the Supertops require the full door's? If I'm understanding this right, soft windows require a door surround, which I don't see being included with the Supertops.
Door surrounds are required for soft tops whether you have full doors or hard half doors with upper soft half doors. They both seal against the door surrounds. Door surrounds are included with the Bestop Supertup NX:

TECHNICAL DETAILS
  • 97-06 Wrangler TJ
  • Black Denim
  • Comes with factory-style door surrounds, factory-style windshield channel and tinted windows
  • Includes a Top Arch to support the fabric
  • Quick release bow knuckles for tool-less top removal
  • New adjustable plate to maintain top taughtness
  • Complete top with OEM style hardware
  • High grade premium fabric
  • High Strength steel and OEM composite plastic hardware
  • Fold back sunroof feature - standard
  • Doors not included
  • Limited two-year warranty

Reactions: clwhitt
Bestop super top. I had that on my 2002 TJ.

When I realized what a replacement top costs, I just scrapped it, found used hardware that would fit stock / aftermarket tops, and installed that instead. The window alone was as much as a new aftermarket top/

Hey guys I have the same exact question and I didn't want to start a new thread. Got this top frame with a "pile of parts" that came with a rebuild, Franken-TJ that I purchased. Can anyone identify what make frame this is? Another question: anyone know what hardware would be used to attach this to the holes on the roll bar? I don't have pivot points, just holes in the roll bar.

I have a bikini style top on now that I really struggle to keep on at 50mph+. I would like to upgrade and need to figure out what I need. Thank you in advance.

20200519_114756.jpg

20200519_114817.jpg

20200519_114807.jpg

20200519_114807.jpg

Those are the roll bar brackets holding the rear and front together, all you need is the Allen/torx bolts. You also need the cloth web that positions the rear top “stretcher” bar. It’s very similar to my Bestop frame but not exactly because I have that front flip thingy and I also don’t know what the fastback stuff looks like naked. And door frame headers, but I’m not the guy that can identify that for you.