Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Help identifying tire carrier

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Not the best, most complete pictures…

I am looking for a tub-mounted tire carrier that swings out with the tailgate, not independent of the tailgate.

7ABB3E0D-EBC3-40B1-8236-6308130CECA8.jpeg

BE82FB91-A811-486F-994F-AC8D250EBCF3.jpeg

Dez

I recently purchased a new to me 2002 Jeep TJ. It actually has the same exact carrier and I would like to know the make and model too. If it helps at all I think almost all the mods on my jeep were done around 2010 and a lot of them seem to be stuff Quadratec offered. Hopefully somebody out there recognizes it because I want to know also!

Reactions: MikekiM

pc1p

I do all my own stunts
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
That's the Bestop Tire Carrier... I ran one on my YJ for a while and never had an issue. It proved to be well designed and had a very, very slim profile. I know @machoheadgames ran one on his too, but had some unidentified fitment issues that causes some tub tweaking. Everyone else I know that ran one of these has loved them. Compared to the Exogate, it had some advantages, namely getting the tire to snug up. The Bestop uses a movable center post that can be adjusted easily. The Exogate on the other hand requires trimming/shimming of rubber bumpers to snug up the tire.

tworley

garagequeen
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've been using the bestop for 3 years and agree, its a solid carrier. It hugs the body pretty well. Though there are some things that could be a little better but not enough to warrant a change though for me.

OP
MikekiM

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've seen that one but don't remember who makes it. My usual recommendation is for the Exogate which is talked about in this thread... https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/morryde-vs-exogate.12152/
Not interested in the Exogate thank you. I know its’ benefits but it isn’t what I am looking for. I already have the RR Spartacus tailgate system. The hinge is a beast and has held my 33 for a year without issue. I can close the tailgate with one finger.

I want the tire off the tailgate, but want to keep the stock bumpers.

That said, the Spartacus system only works with their HD tire carrier and that’s the piece I really want to replace. I doubt the Bestop carrier would work with the Spartacus hinge so I’d have to go back to stock hinges. Pointless since it isn’t available.

That thing is ugly. I see why it was discontinued.
There is a lot about our TJs I think is ugly..

That's the Bestop Tire Carrier... I ran one on my YJ for a while and never had an issue. It proved to be well designed and had a very, very slim profile. I know @machoheadgames ran one on his too, but had some unidentified fitment issues that causes some tub tweaking. Everyone else I know that ran one of these has loved them. Compared to the Exogate, it had some advantages, namely getting the tire to snug up. The Bestop uses a movable center post that can be adjusted easily. The Exogate on the other hand requires trimming/shimming of rubber bumpers to snug up the tire.
I’ll keep an eye out for it on used market. It seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
OP
MikekiM

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Have I mentioned I have a exogate for 1/3 the price for sale??
LOL… you don’t need to mention it for my benefit. I had posted reply to your for sale post that it was a killer deal. Wish you luck with selling it. It’s not what I am looking for.

I already have the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD tailgate system.. Beefy hinge and the HD tire carrier. I am super happy with the hinge but hate the carrier and unfortunately the two are exclusive to each other. I can’t change the carrier without changing the hinge so if I am going that route, I would prefer going back to stock hinges and a tub mounted swing out carrier. The Bestop seemed to be the best option.

AndyG

TJ Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been using the bestop for 3 years and agree, its a solid carrier. It hugs the body pretty well. Though there are some things that could be a little better but not enough to warrant a change though for me.

@Hog has too.... It works well and he has the Exogate on his LJR- He likes the Bestop unit just as much, and he is a really levelheaded guy.

Vinman

TJ Enthusiast
I had the Bestop tire carrier on one TJ and both LJ’s all running 35’s and couldn’t have been happier with them all. I also added a 5 gallon fuel carrier to each of them without issue.

Reactions: MikekiM