Help identifying tire rack and advice on Safari Rack

penk

TJ Enthusiast
Hey everyone - it's getting warm here in the northeast, and it's time to start thinking about how to build out Ole Yeller. WIth the COVID-19 stuff going on, my need to ESCAPE has gone up dramatically, so I'm thinking of refitting my 2000 TJ to make it a better camping platform. Safari rack and rooftop tent.

When shopping for racks, one of the questions is always "What kind of bumper do you have?" - well, the bumper was installed by the previous owner, and is in sort of rough shape. I'd like to identify what it is, and get some advice as to whether I should just replace it with a more modern one, or go with the existing install and work around it?

Here's a pic of the existing rear tire rack and bumper. It's slightly bent (note the gap at the bottom), and has surface rust, and opens a little slowly. The latching mechanism definitely has seen better days. I'm considering replacing the whole thing with a rear tire rack that can handle jerry cans and a cargo shelf above the tire.

Suggestions?

1588085524989.png

1588085567827.png

The Gobi and Garvin racks should work regardless of what kind of rear bumper you have. The Gobi mounts right where the frame brace brackets are and may affect their function, but that can be worked around. The Garvin rack likely won’t interfere at all, depending on where exactly that latch mechanism is in relation to the tub.

That bumper looks familiar but I can’t quite place a name to it

The gobi rack is high on my list of wants. I love how it looks. I'll check the Garvin one as well. Thanks!

I considered both and ended up with the Garvin. Let me know if you have any questions about it. It’s more of a basket style rack. I plan to use if for large canoes and kayaks as well as cargo.

The Gobi might be a better choice if the primary use is a RTT, but I preferred the versatility of the Garvin, as well as the fact it was available immediately.

Most importantly, I needed to be able to mount long crossbars as far apart as possible in order to carry those boats. The Garvin seemed like a better option for that.

The rack I bought
https://www.wildernessracks.com/index.php/expedition-rack-jeep-97-06-tj-wrangler.html
The Gobi I considered as an alternative:
https://www.gobiracks.com/product/gobi-jeep-tj-stealth-rack/
I can say that you will likely be happy with either rack. Both are high quality and quite durable.

Question: What's the purpose of the tent on the top of the rack? Seems like a lot of effort & potential hazard vs the ground beside the jeep.

Question: What's the purpose of the tent on the top of the rack? Seems like a lot of effort & potential hazard vs the ground beside the jeep.

It's a valid question - gets asked on a lot of forums. For me it's a convenient sleeping arrangement that is easy to setup and tear down. THis is my getaway vehicle (and by that i mean "I NEED TO GET AWAY THIS WEEKEND" - with the rooftop tent I can just pop over to a park somewhere, open it up and that's an instant campsite. In the morning, fold it up, and I'm out.

I've done tons of backpacking and site camping. There's something to be said for for the convenience of having your entire sleeping arrangement one latch and a ladder away.

The last bit is space. The TJ doesn't have a lot of interior space. This puts the living arrangements, mattress, etc outside the cabin, and with a rack, adds more cargo space. I can keep food, camping supplies, etc in the interior. Doubly so if I have a back seat!

It's not for everyone. But I like the elegance of it.

When shopping for racks, one of the questions is always "What kind of bumper do you have?" - well, the bumper was installed by the previous owner, and is in sort of rough shape. I'd like to identify what it is, and get some advice as to whether I should just replace it with a more modern one, or go with the existing install and work around it?

It's a Body Armor bumper (TJ-2993).

Here it is without rust

33ff165d-0c04-4d21-b5cb-8b3842f9b208-jpeg.jpg

b328910b-dfa4-414c-a4ee-a8d28352ab48-jpeg.jpg

https://4wheelonline.com/images/BodyArmor/installation/TJ-2993-ii.pdf

Reactions: Steel City 06
It's a Body Armor bumper (TJ-2993).

YEESSSS. That's it! Thank you! I've always wondered what the little lips on the inside of hte bottom support were for. They're for jerry cans! Thank you very very much!

Now to figure out if i recondition mine or just replace it.