gargantuan

Hi everyone, finally bought a jeep and I am new to some of the mechanical aspects. I am going though replacing the shocks and fixing the steering up. I found this star/Torx bolt on the back drivers side and it seems very loose. the plate that it runs though squeak incesently while I am driving. Can anyone tell me if this is suppose to be right and if so how tight possibly. Seems dangerous to be loose but maybe it's meant to have some play. Any help is appreciated.

IMG20220830174503.jpg

IMG20220830174530.jpg

IMG20220830174455.jpg

IMG20220830174557.jpg

That is a track bar relocation bracket. It raises the trackbar higher to give compensation for lift, in order to reposition your axle back to center. The purpose of the trackbar itself, is to keep your axle centered under the jeep at all times. So what happens, is when you lift the jeep, the angle of the trackbar itself gets steeper, and thus makes the axle shift to the side if no remedy is taken. A better option is to ditch the relocation bracket, and get an adjustable trackbar. Regardless, loose is an issue, there should never be any significant play in the trackbar, or its attachment points, so you should atleast tighten it solid before driving again.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerwolf
That is a track bar relocation bracket. It raises the trackbar higher to give compensation for lift, in order to reposition your axle back to center. The purpose of the trackbar itself, is to keep your axle centered under the jeep at all times. Loose is an issue.

wow thanks for the reply! so much appreciated! Do you know if it is just a matter of tightening it down? I am taking the jeep to a professional jeep shop this Thursday. At the very least I need to be able to drive it there safely.

seriously can't tell you how much I appreciate the response and help. Just tightening it down as much as I could. Going to look into your suggestion on the adjustable track bar
That is a track bar relocation bracket. It raises the trackbar higher to give compensation for lift, in order to reposition your axle back to center. The purpose of the trackbar itself, is to keep your axle centered under the jeep at all times. So what happens, is when you lift the jeep, the angle of the trackbar itself gets steeper, and thus makes the axle shift to the side if no remedy is taken. A better option is to ditch the relocation bracket, and get an adjustable trackbar. Regardless, loose is an issue, there should never be any significant play in the trackbar, or its attachment points, so you should atleast tighten it solid before driving again.

Sweet! I can't say thank you enough. You probably saved me from an accident😱! I Just tightened it down. I will talk to the shop about installing an adjustable track bar. Definitely worth doing it 🙏.

seriously can't tell you how much I appreciate the response and help. Just tightening it down as much as I could. Going to look into your suggestion on the adjustable track bar

Sweet! I can't say thank you enough. You probably saved me from an accident😱! I Just tightened it down. I will talk to the shop about installing an adjustable track bar. Definitely worth doing it 🙏.

No problem. Installing an adjustable trackbar is a simple job, especially if your axle is already centered. You'll just remove the old track bar and the relocation bracket, and then set the adjustable trackbar to the length that would fit your new exposed bolt hole (the one the torx bolt is currently in), and the bolt hole located on the frame. I highly recommend an adjustable trackbar that uses a double adjustable sleeve (i think most do), that way you can lengthen it and shorten it without having to unbolt it from the jeep, simply by turning the whole sleeve (might have to lift the tires off the ground if you wish to make any adjustments in this manner).

Last edited:
Things get more technical when you get to the front track bar, as it is highly sensitive in needing to be set at the proper angle relative to the drag link, to avoid steering issues. But it look's like you are working on the rear, so my comments hold true.

sweet. I'm pretty handy, but I am getting a professional to give me a full run down on the jeep head to toe Thursday. Always best to start off doing it right the first time instead of guessing. You have armed me with excellent information to take to the Jeep shop and definitely saved me from an accident. Thanks for sharing and helping!!!!!😁😁😁🎉

Reactions: Sensei
Hi everyone, finally bought a jeep and I am new to some of the mechanical aspects. I am going though replacing the shocks and fixing the steering up. I found this star/Torx bolt on the back drivers side and it seems very loose. the plate that it runs though squeak incesently while I am driving. Can anyone tell me if this is suppose to be right and if so how tight possibly. Seems dangerous to be loose but maybe it's meant to have some play. Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 355421

View attachment 355422

View attachment 355423

View attachment 355424

Part of the reason it loosened is because it was both designed incorrectly and then installed incorrectly. The hole I indicated is for a bolt. The lower leg of the bracket is supposed to be clamped up tight to the lower part of the OEM mount, drilled through that hole and then a 3/8" grade 8 bolt put through it and tightened down correctly. That will help a fair bit to keep the rest of it tight.
1662037378059.png

Reactions: Sensei
Things get more technical when you get to the front track bar, as it is highly sensitive in needing to be set at the proper angle relative to the drag link, to avoid steering issues. But it look's like you are working on the rear, so my comments hold true.

The front is as easy as using the factory mounting locations. Along with doing the same with the steering. For the vast majority, there is no need to pay any attention to angles. Jeep already figured that out for you. People typically screw that up the moment they decide something needs to be different. It doesn't need to be that way.

Last edited:
Part of the reason it loosened is because it was both designed incorrectly and then installed incorrectly. The hole I indicated is for a bolt. The lower leg of the bracket is supposed to be clamped up tight to the lower part of the OEM mount, drilled through that hole and then a 3/8" grade 8 bolt put through it and tightened down correctly. That will help a fair bit to keep the rest of it tight.
View attachment 356110

There is a bolt there and also on the side. Just put one of those on Saturday