Help making a decision about my rear bumper

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
So I am considering getting rid of my HEAVY Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier it has worked well and taken a lot of beatings on the rocks of The Rubicon Trail. I am looking at the Savvy rear bumper and getting the Genright swing out carrier My current set up is made up of the following.

Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper 110 lbs
Rock Hard Basket 40 lbs
Rigid Back-up lights guess 3 lbs
2 Rotopax gas containers 12 lbs
Rotopax Mounts and locks guess 4 lbs.
5 gallons gas 30 lbs
Total 200 lbs. with the rack empty.

Option 1

Genright Swing Out Tire Carrier 25 lbs $1,200.00
plus requires new tail lights Genright lights $199.00
Savvy Bumper 30 lbs. $479.00

$2,028.00 inc Tax + Shipping

Option 2
The Morryde HD Tailgate hinge and tire carrier kit ?? $312.00
Savvy Bumper $479.99

$854.00 inc Tax + Shipping

I would like to keep the Rigid lights and the Rotopax and find some way of mounting them. By keeping them I would still be removing about 100 lbs. Is it worth the work and the expense to remove the 100 lbs of weight. And do you have any experience with any of these products if so I would like to get your reviews.. I do want to keep a full width rear bumper.

So if price were no issue which way would you go.

IMG_5492.jpg

GRTC.jpg

savvy bumper.jpg

moryde.jpg

Last edited:
If you take off the basket and full Rotopax when they're not needed that's already 86 lbs. And that costs 10 minutes.
I always remove my basket and cans and leave them home when I don't need them.
You could use a wiring harness to make a quick disconnect for the rigid lights where the cargo rack meets the carrier.

ExoGate.

The issue I see with the GenRight and similar cage designs is they they are always as large as the cage. With the ExoGate and some work, you can pull the spare tight into the body and the resulting overhang is only as bulky as the tire itself.

Reactions: taylormade73
If you take off the basket and full Rotopax when they're not needed that's already 86 lbs. And that costs 10 minutes.
I always remove my basket and cans and leave them home when I don't need them.
You could use a wiring harness to make a quick disconnect for the rigid lights where the cargo rack meets the carrier.
ExoGate.

I do leave off the Rotopax when not needed, I can remove the basket I like your idea about quick disconnects on the lights.

The issue I see with the GenRight and similar cage designs is they they are always as large as the cage. With the ExoGate and some work, you can pull the spare tight into the body and the resulting overhang is only as bulky as the tire itself.

If I remember right the Exogate does not have the tie in to the roll bar mount that the Morryde has and that looks like it may add some extra support

Option 3
Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper w/o tire carrier and rack $0
Morryde HD Tailgate hinge and tire carrier kit ?? $312.00

or

Option 2
Morryde HD Tailgate hinge and tire carrier kit ?? $312.00
Savvy Bumper $479.99

Is it worth the work and the expense to remove the 100 lbs of weight.

It wouldn't be to me. I like my Genright stuff but there is no way I'd pay $1200 for a tire carrier.

So if price were no issue which way would you go.

Aluminum corners and tailgate panel, aluminum hinges, HD tire mount and something like the UCF aluminum/steel rear bumper that I could tow a trailer with.

If I remember right the Exogate does not have the tie in to the roll bar mount that the Morryde has and that looks like it may add some extra support
As far as I know, both have the same tie in. They are the same product except for some difference in the amount of hinge swing.

Yup they both tie in

I love my exogate but after a year have a big crack in my tailgate. I'm sure it is 100% my fault. I bet I backed into a tree or rock at some point. But on a traditional carrier, I do wonder if I would have gotten away with less damage..

Just a warning but I still do like mine and think I'd recommend it.

Option 2, no question about it.

Having had the MORryde tire carrier, I really, really love the way it's built and the way it functions.
Do you know if having Alum.Corners makes a difference or not installing the MORryde kit ?

Do you know if having Alum.Corners makes a difference or not installing the MORryde kit ?
Just eliminate the big backing plate around the taillight. Or add a tailgate skin. One or the other.

I just installed the MORryde last weekend and I made two 3/16" backing plates of aluminium to match up the thickness of my Poison Spyder corner gaurds. Two more shimes made out of 1/4" steel to go between the hinge and the tailgate bracket, worked out good.

Option 2
The Morryde HD Tailgate hinge and tire carrier kit ?? $312.00

View attachment 136537
Where did you see the MORryde for $312? I’m looking to go that route. I had a traditional swing away tire carrier that I ingeniously engineered to be rattle free by clamping to the tailgate snubber. No rattles but that single contact point transferred the full force of an impact to the tailgate!

67A9CC31-5BBB-4597-AD55-2FBBC408EB8E.jpeg

Carrier was bent as well and had some welds crack. Thinking the MORryde would distribute the force better.

Thanks,
George

Where did you see the MORryde for $312? I’m looking to go that route. I had a traditional swing away tire carrier that I ingeniously engineered to be rattle free by clamping to the tailgate snubber. No rattles but that single contact point transferred the full force of an impact to the tailgate!

View attachment 136959
Carrier was bent as well and had some welds crack. Thinking the MORryde would distribute the force better.

Thanks,
George
I found this site just fooling around

https://www.discountbandit.com/mor-ryde-tailgate-reinforcement-ki-jp54022.html

If you want pm me and I will let you know how it works out

As was said, it's a plus to have aluminum corners. Here's one I did with Savvy corner armor. It also has armor on the tailgate, as well as the panel below the tailgate.

ORmNiwq.jpg