Help me build a winter hunting Jeep: Snow, mud, and daily abilities

Winter / Hunting Jeep Platform

• Total voters

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking to pick up something cheap (Sub 3K) to drive through the winter and use for hunting. This will also give me more time to take my TJR apart this winter so I don't have to wait till hunting and snow season is over.

Choices are in the poll and how would you build it.

I'm thinking XJ or MJ(much love for those) with LSD, good tires and heat. Anything you would do different?

I hunt out of my TJ and it’s nice but I’d like to have a little more room. I think maybe a 2-door XJ would be just about perfect, even a 4-door wouldn’t be bad.
If you get an MJ, I think a topper would be perfect to haul gear and deer. I kind of want to change my vote now, but it’s easier to find a cheap xj.

I hunt out of my TJ and it’s nice but I’d like to have a little more room. I think maybe a 2-door XJ would be just about perfect, even a 4-door wouldn’t be bad.
If you get an MJ, I think a topper would be perfect to haul gear and deer. I kind of want to change my vote now, but it’s easier to find a cheap xj.

XJs are definitely the most common around here. If I could find a decent MJ I'd do it. And yeah, topper would be perfect.

Just realized your in southern Illinois, I’ll be out there this weekend trying to slay a beast. Hunting at Mermet lake, got a nice 130” there last year.

Reactions: lowranger
Just realized your in southern Illinois, I’ll be out there this weekend trying to slay a beast. Hunting at Mermet lake, got a nice 130” there last year.
Good luck! That's a couple hours from where I live but an hour from where I hunt. Last year I literally only seen 4 pointers. So depressing. Haven't had a chance to go this year yet but finally caught a decent one on camera last week.

IMG959420.jpg

I’m actually going to look at an XJ tomorrow. 96. HP30/Dana 44 4.56’s w/lockers. 33’s and a small lift, winch. It’s gonna need some plating done around the rear section of the frame eventually...hopefully it’s not too bad. $2500

But it’s going to be a winter beater and woods/hunting rig. I hate taking my TJ out in the bad weather and definitely don’t like driving my tow rig on salty roads.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: rasband
Good luck! That's a couple hours from where I live but an hour from where I hunt. Last year I literally only seen 4 pointers. So depressing. Haven't had a chance to go this year yet but finally caught a decent one on camera last week.

View attachment 120519
Nice, the first few years I went up there it was little 6's and smaller, I finally got on this fella, I'm hoping (like every other deer hunter) to step it up this year.
Deer2.jpg

Nice, the first few years I went up there it was little 6's and smaller, I finally got on this fella, I'm hoping (like every other deer hunter) to step it up this year.
View attachment 120549

This is my first kill. Been trying to beat it ever since. Only seen one bigger but didn’t get a shot and that was years ago. Good luck this weekend!

DF0CDFED-2F8C-4045-99CE-4D234042E101.jpeg