Help me decide between the raw aluminum armor or body color match

Rescue6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So as some of you know I’m replacing all my steel armor and fenders with new Genright aluminum stuff. I’ve got aluminum highline fenders, rear corners and rear fenders all in aluminum, and an aluminum tailgate. Trying to decide if I want to leave them raw aluminum or to paint it all body color. I did color match on the steel stuff ten years back when I did it all. I like the look but I am kinda liking the look of the raw aluminum look as well. Any pros or cons you can think of?
this is the current look with body color armor on the steel
thanks

270BE510-D720-4E66-BDF9-14B9DAAB1D60.jpeg

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
So as some of you know I’m replacing all my steel armor and fenders with new Genright aluminum stuff. I’ve got aluminum highline fenders, rear corners and rear fenders all in aluminum, and an aluminum tailgate. Trying to decide if I want to leave them raw aluminum or to paint it all body color. I did color match on the steel stuff ten years back when I did it all. I like the look but I am kinda liking the look of the raw aluminum look as well. Any pros or cons you can think of?
this is the current look with body color armor on the steel
thanks

View attachment 268724
That's a great look, I'm a big fan of color matching even though I have all my aluminum bare. The big plus for raw aluminum is it's cheap and easy and doesn't look terrible

Reactions: Rescue6
That's one of my favorite colors, so doing it body color would look awesome. The major con is scratching it is more difficult to recover from. If you're undecided, leave it unpainted for a while and see if you like it. Going the other way would obviously be more difficult!

If you're looking to break up the monotone, you could always leave the hardware stainless steel.

N51toUM.jpg

the dark contrasting colors don't look to bad against bare aluminum, but the lighter colors look really good against it, IMO.

If you actually plan on putting the armor to use, then you'd have to fix the paint every time you use it... unless you just leave the gashes and scratches as battle scars. Why paint something meant to scrape and slide against rocks?

Reactions: starkey480
That's one of my favorite colors, so doing it body color would look awesome. The major con is scratching it is more difficult to recover from. If you're undecided, leave it unpainted for a while and see if you like it. Going the other way would obviously be more difficult!

If you're looking to break up the monotone, you could always leave the hardware stainless steel.

View attachment 268725
That is arguably one of the best looking TJs I’ve ever seen.

View attachment 268725
The only thing that one needs is the rock rail backers color matched. It all works after that.

Reactions: Irun
Do the alloys in our applications resist corrosion better than others? I'm in an industry where a good portion of our equipment is raw aluminum, and it just doesn't seem to look as great once it's been in the field for a while. That's most of the reason that the only things I would leave raw would be things like skid plates.

My Savvy rocker bases looked so damn good when I took them out of the box that I immediately second guessed my plan to coat them, but after they'd sit on my office floor for 6 months they had dark smudges all over and I was no longer conflicted.

I am in the body color matching crowd. You will be happy with difference between the steel and the Alum. I know when I first bought my front fenders in steel to save a few bucks. But when they arrive and I opened the box I went holy shit these tings weight a ton. I returned them and ordered them in Alum and never looked back.

IMG_8272.jpg

IMG_8493.jpg

I prefer raw aluminum. If you’re going to use it, painting it body color won’t look good for long.

Though I think @Midnight LJR has somehow found a way around this. 😆

I just don’t drag the corner armor on stuff, as long as I avoid the super crazy trails
That shouldn’t be too hard.

24554C9D-B532-4AEF-B499-B12D9D4D8571.jpeg

I’ve been wondering this on mine, but I’m keeping mine raw for now since I expect I’d otherwise be wanting to touch up the paint several times a season.

Aside from that, I’d probably color match. And keep the rub rail raw (to be installed when time allows).

A2D65FEB-F146-40F2-842E-90307FB731FA.jpeg

Reactions: Rescue6 and Irun
To me this is one of those function dictates form things. My corners have seen a good bit of use in the short time I’ve had them on. Me personally I couldn’t imagine painting the armor because it would be a scratched mess in short time. I like the look of body matched better but the raw look is a very close second and will stay looking good even with scratches
1442B5B9-EEA0-4CE2-977F-92548BC2136D.jpeg

I vote color match. After I saw @Midnight LJR jeep, I was hooked. This is what I want my jeep to look like once it grows up.

I'm currently in the process of color matching. I just got my Savvy Armor back from powder coat, now its in the paint shop!

• Love
Reactions: Midnight LJR
I vote color match as well but I live in Virginia and the cops here can be interesting when it comes to vehicles that are modified, anything I can do to keep the outside of my Jeep looking stock really helps me go under the radar.

I am amazed you would change anything, That Jeep looks tremendous, But for the weight saving I understand. If you are wheeling tight hard trails leave her bare. But you paint matched the original set for a reason.....haha.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low