Help me decide on tire size

natural_nativ

Need help figuring out what size tire to go with. I want to stick to AT since this is a daily driver and also don't want to go too big since I only have the 2.5 and don't want to completely murder my MPG.

Just installed 2" OME lift and I feel like my jeep is an adult wearing little kids shoes right now. They just look small when I look at them from the side.

My current size is 31x10.5R15.
I'm a fan of General Grabber AT2s, Goodyear Duratracs and BFG KO2s.
I also like Toyo Open Country and Falken Wildpeaks, but I don't have personal experience with those.

I want to stick to 15". I'm willing to sacrifice MPG for the perfect size.

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

With the 2.5 4 cylinder I wouldn't go above 33, but probably not even above 32 to be honest. You'll want to re-gear either way.

Are you sure that's a 2" OME lift? That looks like a lot more than 2" of lift. With the way it looks now, you'd need 33s to fill it out.

With the 2.5 4 cylinder I wouldn't go above 33, but probably not even above 32 to be honest. You'll want to re-gear either way.

Are you sure that's a 2" OME lift? That looks like a lot more than 2" of lift. With the way it looks now, you'd need 33s to fill it out.
That's what I thought too! I just did it on Saturday so it hasn't settled any, but even my wife said "it looks like a foot higher". haha

This is what I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P9JY0E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I didn't bother taking measurements like I should have.

That's what I thought too! I just did it on Saturday so it hasn't settled any, but even my wife said "it looks like a foot higher". haha

This is what I got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P9JY0E/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I didn't bother taking measurements like I should have.

That's the right lift! I think it hasn't settled yet, but also, the weight of a hard top, bumpers, a winch, etc, that all makes it settle in much more. Right now it definitely looks like more than 2", but @ac_ had the same thing happen with his 2" OME lift.

Reactions: natural_nativ
That's the right lift! I think it hasn't settled yet, but also, the weight of a hard top, bumpers, a winch, etc, that all makes it settle in much more. Right now it definitely looks like more than 2", but @ac_ had the same thing happen with his 2" OME lift.
Yeah, no extra weight as of now. I went with the heavy springs just to plan ahead for anything I put on it in the future. I'm paying for it because it bounces all over the place right now.

Any recommendations on a good tire size to look at and your preference of brand?

Yeah, no extra weight as of now. I went with the heavy springs just to plan ahead for anything I put on it in the future. I'm paying for it because it bounces all over the place right now.

Any recommendations on a good tire size to look at and your preference of brand?
Good choice on the heavy springs. Had you not gotten them, you'd regret it when you started adding a winch, bumpers, and all the other good stuff.

I like BF Goodrich and Goodyear tires. It depends, are you wanting an A/T tire or a M/T tire?

If A/T, I'd suggest either the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac or the BFG KO2. If M/T, I would suggest the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar, or the BFG KM2 or KM2. All exceptional tires!

I personally run the BFG KM2s. When they need replacing, I'm going to try out the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlars.

Good choice on the heavy springs. Had you not gotten them, you'd regret it when you started adding a winch, bumpers, and all the other good stuff.

I like BF Goodrich and Goodyear tires. It depends, are you wanting an A/T tire or a M/T tire?

If A/T, I'd suggest either the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac or the BFG KO2. If M/T, I would suggest the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar, or the BFG KM2 or KM2. All exceptional tires!

I personally run the BFG KM2s. When they need replacing, I'm going to try out the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlars.
Definitely want to stick to A/T. I've always ran them on my other vehicles and with it being a DD I want to cut down on the wear and road noise. This isn't my primary trail vehicle, so I don't need to go all out on it.

I love the side profile of the Duratracs, but it seems like the KO2s have more of a reputation. Not that I've heard or experienced anything bad with Duratracs, though. I do love the price of the General Grabbers, however.

Definitely want to stick to A/T. I've always ran them on my other vehicles and with it being a DD I want to cut down on the wear and road noise. This isn't my primary trail vehicle, so I don't need to go all out on it.

I love the side profile of the Duratracs, but it seems like the KO2s have more of a reputation. Not that I've heard or experienced anything bad with Duratracs, though. I do love the price of the General Grabbers, however.

I ran the Duratracs for close to 5 years in just about every condition imaginable, from a blizzard, to mud, to sand, and tons of on-road driving in heavy rain. They perform excellent and have no issues whatsoever.

They would be a fine choice. The KO2 is just as good as well. You can't go wrong with either!

I will say (coming from the Toyota world) the new Tacomas come with the "Kevlar" wranglers, albeit in the street/A/T tire form. I hated them and got two different flats from typical dirt road travel within a few weeks of one another. That just turned me off of that line of Goodyears.

I'm sure the M/T's are much better, though.

Reactions: Chris
I will say (coming from the Toyota world) the new Tacomas come with the "Kevlar" wranglers, albeit in the street/A/T tire form. I hated them and got two different flats from typical dirt road travel within a few weeks of one another. That just turned me off of that line of Goodyears.

I'm sure the M/T's are much better, though.

Gotcha. Go with the KO2s then. They are very reputable tires as well!

31's, KO2's or General Grabbers work well on an SE. UNLESS you spend time on steep tight trails. The 2.5 doesn't have the low RPM grunt to move slowly on a tight trail. If you don't need to go at a walking pace up a steep hill, or it doesn't bother you to grab low range, then the 4.10's work out OK with 31's. Go to 4.88 or 5.13 gears for 32 or 33 inch tires.

Don't fear the gear, your SE will thank you. Get gears even if you never intend to install lockers. Oh, do something with your axle shafts while you're in there. The Dana 30/35 combo is fine under an SE with the 2.5.

31's, KO2's or General Grabbers work well on an SE. UNLESS you spend time on steep tight trails. The 2.5 doesn't have the low RPM grunt to move slowly on a tight trail. If you don't need to go at a walking pace up a steep hill, or it doesn't bother you to grab low range, then the 4.10's work out OK with 31's. Go to 4.88 or 5.13 gears for 32 or 33 inch tires.

Don't fear the gear, your SE will thank you. Get gears even if you never intend to install lockers. Oh, do something with your axle shafts while you're in there. The Dana 30/35 combo is fine under an SE with the 2.5.
Will 5.13's fit in the stock axels?

Revolution makes a very fine 5.13 gear set for the Dana 30 / 35. Get ahold of @AOR for pricing and availability.
Never done any kind of re-gearing. If I order my own parts, what is everything that I need to get and does anyone have a link for where to look for them at? I know the labor on this will be high and it's not something I want to tackle on my own.

Never done any kind of re-gearing. If I order my own parts, what is everything that I need to get and does anyone have a link for where to look for them at? I know the labor on this will be high and it's not something I want to tackle on my own.
If having a shop install, best to let them supply the parts. Many shops won't install customer supplied parts and/or will not warranty them.