Help me decide what tires to install

Dyl

Hi all,

My jeep is 1997 4.0L 5sp manual (AX15 transmission). I have recently installed a 2inch spacer lift to the otherwise stock jeep. It still has 5 spoke 15inch original rims which i'm keeping.

I'm sort of in between 31" and 32" tyres. Some say i would need to regear with 32" tyres (is it the case?) and I don't want to regear. What would you recommend?

On a side question, will both 31" and 32" tyres fit on the stock rim?

Here's how it looks with the 2inch lift and with the current 225/75/r15 tyres. My only concern is would 31s still look small?

IMG_20210614_155135.jpg

Go with 31s. It should be close to 2” larger than your current setup and they will look just fine. Especially running factory steelies

Reactions: Jim King
Here's how it looks with the 2inch lift and with the current 225/75/r15 tyres. My only concern is would 31s still look small?

View attachment 262160
Whatever you do get those God-awful things off of there asap, every time I see a TJ with those horrid factory sized tires I cringe & wonder what the hell Chrysler was thinking back then. Save a penny, I know, but Christ they mighta coulda sold a bunch more TJs over the course of their run had they made them more visually attractive right out of the gate & we’d all be slightly better off in 2021 with more available rigs in the market.

Reactions: DETOUR and JMT
Hi all,

My jeep is 1997 4.0L 5sp manual (AX15 transmission). I have recently installed a 2inch spacer lift to the otherwise stock jeep. It still has 5 spoke 15inch original rims which i'm keeping.

I'm sort of in between 31" and 32" tyres. Some say i would need to regear with 32" tyres (is it the case?) and I don't want to regear. What would you recommend?

On a side question, will both 31" and 32" tyres fit on the stock rim?
Go with 31’s.

If that’s a 15x7 wheel, a 32x11.5 tire will fit, but ideally 2.5-3” lift

Last edited:
I'm running 31s on a 2.5" lift and I'm very pleased. It's a noticeable difference without re-gearing if you pay attention to that sort of thing but not killer. I wouldn't be happy with any larger of a tire without new gears though, that's for sure.

I'll snag a picture here in a bit

Because I was tired and put the wrong info in! 🙄 I fixed it.

Crazy thing is me and the boys ended up doing the entire lift last night on their rig. We started off just painting the frame (it was already primed) and couldn’t stop. We started about 8:50pm and finished at 1:15am.

Last edited: