Help me find out what axle I really have here

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
I just picked up a Dana HP30?
I want the TJ's forum opinion and help me find out what I really have here.
Do I really need to put on new brackets?
They look pretty beat up and thinking over going thicker for lower control arm brackets and sway bar brackets.

So I spun the yoke and 2.5 rotations and it spun the shafts 1x revolution.
What are gears ? 3.07 gears?
Just wondering because I'm going with 4.56 gears once I start building this Dana HP30.

Goal for this Dana HP30:
WJ swap....
Knuckles and dual piston calipers disc etc.
Steering control arms and new bushing and tie rods.
WJ brake upgrade mod Akebono brake calipers.
The goal is to run 35" on 17" steelie beadlock pro comps wheels. 4.56 or 4.88 gears with powertrax no slip up.
Trussed as well but haven't picked supplier yet.
Chromaly axles...
What do you guys think?

20210916_152349_001.jpg

20210916_152358_001.jpg

20210916_154822.jpg

20210916_154814.jpg

20210916_154807.jpg

20210916_153600.jpg

20210916_152413.jpg

20210916_152044.jpg

20210916_152051.jpg

At the very least that tracbar bracket needs to be replaced....
The tracbar bracket shown in picture 4 is nasty.....
Yeah this Dana HP30 has a few problems but I'm very excited on building this axle on a budget with Junkyard parts and second hand or discounted stuff. I don't have deadline so couple years in making is serious possibility.
Does this axle look like HP30?

Yeah this Dana HP30 has a few problems but I'm very excited on building this axle on a budget with Junkyard parts and second hand or discounted stuff. I don't have deadline so couple years in making is serious possibility.
Does this axle look like HP30?
The 30-7AF indicates that Dana 30 came from a late 90s Jeep (XJ/TJ) so it should be a HP30.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaptainkid1
The 30-70AF indicates that Dana 30 came from a late 90s Jeep (XJ/TJ) so it should be a HP30.
What year TJs had a HP30? :unsure:

XJ Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints). XJs stopped using them for 00-01. Not a big deal though.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlesHS and Irun
new knuckles won't change anything unless they are aftermarket hi-steer's.
and a truss is not needed unless it's to be used for link mount relocation.

stand back and look at it 1 more time............. torn up the TB mount, both lowers have been pounded to shit, the stabilizer mounts been torn up.............that axles been beat and it ain't bent yet.

the thing i can't figure is why did they scalp the pumpkin? the upper right stiffener on the dif socket is cut away.

Akebono? are your aware of Black Magic Brakes?

Reactions: Wildman
I just picked up a Dana HP30?
I want the TJ's forum opinion and help me find out what I really have here.
Do I really need to put on new brackets?
They look pretty beat up and thinking over going thicker for lower control arm brackets and sway bar brackets.

So I spun the yoke and 2.5 rotations and it spun the shafts 1x revolution.
What are gears ? 3.07 gears?
Just wondering because I'm going with 4.56 gears once I start building this Dana HP30.

Goal for this Dana HP30:
WJ swap....
Knuckles and dual piston calipers disc etc.
Steering control arms and new bushing and tie rods.
WJ brake upgrade mod Akebono brake calipers.
The goal is to run 35" on 17" steelie beadlock pro comps wheels. 4.56 or 4.88 gears with powertrax no slip up.
Trussed as well but haven't picked supplier yet.
Chromaly axles...
What do you guys think?
If you are re-gearing don't worry about the current ratio. Generally speaking 4.88 is the ratio more recommended for 35s. If the ratcheting sound bothers you then go with the powertrax no slip or a selectable locker. Otherwise I would recommend the torq locker, super easy install. Since you are more than likely going to weld or get someone else to weld I would add

https://liftkits4less.com/catalog/p...DVDKlNdYZKQKGiPUgR10J-6ffdMBqK5RoCUOgQAvD_BwE

At the very least that tracbar bracket needs to be replaced....
The tracbar bracket shown in picture 4 is nasty.....
If he plans on going to a WJ steering, all that will be cut off anyway. ;) He'll need to contact JKS for the over the axle bracket unless he's going to fab something himself.

If he plans on going to a WJ steering, all that will be cut off anyway. ;) He'll need to contact JKS for the over the axle bracket unless he's going to fab something himself.
the pitman line to the knuckle is gonna dicitate where he can place the axle end of the TB. not where some other vehicle had it.

diggin those levers on the steering limbs in post 14, yikes.

Last edited:
Look at everything above the axle tubes. The trackbar is there, right behind the draglink just like it is supposed to be.
That's why I never noticed the J-arms. I was always looking for/at the track bar. Beautiful design on where it all attaches to the passenger knuckle and inner-C.

Blaine's Steering.jpg

Last edited: