Help me find the source of my chirp / squeak

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
I'm trying to find the cause of a chirp/squeak that I'm getting.

What I'm experiencing
In 2wd, accelerating from a dead stop I hear a chirp/squeak up until about 10-15mph then it goes away, kind of after the initial load is off the engine.
In 4wd, it does not chirp/squeak when accelerating from a dead stop.
When going over rough pavement at speed, it chirps/squeaks until I am over the rough spot in 2wd or 4wd.
Trails are just annoying as hell, it’s constant.
It appearsto be coming from the front
Cannot make it chirp/squeak by manually cycling the suspension

What I've tested/done/replaced/upgraded since I’ve owned it, and the chirp/squeak is still there
I've tightened, tugged, pulled, pushed, and shook just about everything under the Jeep that I can get my hands on.
Replaced all control arms
Replaced front and rear track bar
Replaced front and rear sway bar links
Replaced rear sway bar bushings
Replaced front rotors, pads, and calipers
Replaced all shocks
Replaced front drive shaft
Replaced broken transmission mount
Replaced hood catches
Checked muffler mounts
Checked front brake dust shields
Replaced front axle u-joints
Replaced front hub assemblies
Pulled rear drive shaft and drove with just front drive shaft
Pulled front drive shaft and drove with just rear drive shaft
Lubricated hood hinges
Greased hook latch assembly
Wrapped hood latch hook in electrical tape
Greased skid plate bolts
Shut off engine as speed, hit bump, still squeaked/chirped
There are no poly bushings
Lubricated transfer case linkage
Lubricated front sway bar bushings
Checked radiator supports

Here is a link to the chirp/squeak. It's important to note that it is NOT a constant chirp/squeak. After initial acceleration it goes away unless I hit a bump. If I accelerate from a rolling start, it doesn't chirp/squeak unless I hit a bump. The bump can be as small as running over a manhole cover.

Man, you've gone through just about all the things I would have checked. I almost wonder if it's something as simple as a part that needs some grease or lube?

I'll check the manifold bolts tomorrow. It does happen in 4wd when I hit bumps, just not when accelerating from a dead stop.

Yep, wheel bearing and brakes are both new.

I had a similar noise on my Honda CRV and it turned out to be the brake pad on the front rotor was somehow loose in it's seat.

Check the manifold bolts, right before the front cats. They back out and this could very well be coming from that. It's strange that you don't get it in 4WD.

It's been awhile, but I finally had a chance to get under there today. All of the manifold bolts seems fine, but I did find that the flange bolts are loose that hold the catalytic converters on. However, try as I might, and I can't figure how to tighten them. I was able to get a 15mm wrench on the bolt head, they turned a little and then just stopped, certainly not enough to tighten them up. I took it for a drive up the block...and it didn't squeak when I first started! About half way down the block it started squeaking when I hit a bump. I got home, grabbed a pair of pliers and went back under and it was loose again.

Reactions: Redrider1500
Sprayed PB blaster on the nuts last night, and I was able to tighten them this afternoon. Took the Jeep for a spin, ZERO SQUEAKS!!

Thanks for pointing me in the right director badlieutenant!

Found it!! The support rod for the exhaust at the catalytic converter making the noise!! The rod comes down and inserts into an circular fixture. It is rusted and dry. When you first take off and the load causes the exhaust to shudder the rod is moving with that vibration and making a chirping noise essentially like a turkey call. Sprayed lube all around that. NO MORE CHIRPING!!!!

IMG_1069.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze
Been chasing down my LJ squeak for 6 months now. Squeaked only at idle. Sounded like a hamster wheel. Sometimes it would change if I turned the air on or off. Sometimes it would squeak in park, sometimes only in drive... very odd. Turned out to be the bolts after the Cat that hold the rest of the exhaust. Not only is my squeak gone... but I swear it runs smoother and idles better!!!

Reactions: Serbonze
Found it!! The support rod for the exhaust at the catalytic converter making the noise!! The rod comes down and inserts into an circular fixture. It is rusted and dry. When you first take off and the load causes the exhaust to shudder the rod is moving with that vibration and making a chirping noise essentially like a turkey call. Sprayed lube all around that. NO MORE CHIRPING!!!!

View attachment 20627
I know this was a few years ago but I think I'm having this exact issue. Do you remember what kind of lube you used for this? Due to the heat from the Cat, the spray-on stuff I used evaporated. I was gonna grease it today with something more substantial.

I need some help with this, I thought I found the squeak… and I did… but there’s another one. I’ve got the driver side u-joint squeaking. I’ll order parts for that soon.

But today, I noticed there is another squeaking going on as well when the wheels arent spinning. When the car is just parked, but running, there is a pretty steady squeaking sound going on, but every so often it’ll stop for a minute then come back. When I turn the key to turn it off, it squeaks a whole lot more and a lot louder too for a second before the car turns off. When I’m driving, I think it gets louder either as I speed up, or as rpm’s go up, but that could also be me hearing the squeaky u-joint.

Please help!!! As me all the questions you want as well about it :)

I need some help with this, I thought I found the squeak… and I did… but there’s another one. I’ve got the driver side u-joint squeaking. I’ll order parts for that soon.

But today, I noticed there is another squeaking going on as well when the wheels arent spinning. When the car is just parked, but running, there is a pretty steady squeaking sound going on, but every so often it’ll stop for a minute then come back. When I turn the key to turn it off, it squeaks a whole lot more and a lot louder too for a second before the car turns off. When I’m driving, I think it gets louder either as I speed up, or as rpm’s go up, but that could also be me hearing the squeaky u-joint.

Please help!!! As me all the questions you want as well about it :)

Austin,
I had a squeak on my 97 that turned out to be the idler pulley. Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? See pic below. You can use this to try to isolate where the noise is coming from. Just be mindful of the fan spinning. If you don't have a stethoscope, really any metal rod will work.

You can also spray water on the serpentine belt and see if the squeak stops.

If none of these ideas help, try posting a video of the squeak at idle. That may generate more responses.

Mike

63691_I.jpg

Reactions: Austin O.
Austin,
I had a squeak on my 97 that turned out to be the idler pulley. Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? See pic below. You can use this to try to isolate where the noise is coming from. Just be mindful of the fan spinning. If you don't have a stethoscope, really any metal rod will work.

You can also spray water on the serpentine belt and see if the squeak stops.

If none of these ideas help, try posting a video of the squeak at idle. That may generate more responses.

Mike

View attachment 400689

Thank you. Im almost sure it is not an idler pulley/serpentine belt. It sound like it’s coming from underneath the car. I do not have a stethoscope thingy, but I can try it with some metal sometime tomorrow

Thank you. Im almost sure it is not an idler pulley/serpentine belt. It sound like it’s coming from underneath the car. I do not have a stethoscope thingy, but I can try it with some metal sometime tomorrow

Can you post a video?