Help me get a YJ

TRevs

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Crossposted from YJ forum I just joined;

Hi all! New member here, but I've been on the sister TJ site for a few years now with an '06 LJ.

For various reasons, I'm considering getting a YJ as well. (My wife is considering killing me, but I don't expect you to help with that.)

My goal is a fairly low-cost YJ that I can rehabilitate to my tastes. It would be an on-road, city-bound complement to my commuter car. I'd keep stock tires/height or maybe a minimal lift. i don't care if it's a 4 cyl or 6. Obviously I want to avoid rust and major drivetrain issues, but minor mechanical issues don't bother me.

I'm expecting poor quality paint and planning a respray of the body to a color of my choosing. I also really like the tan/spice interior.

My main question is how affordable is it to obtain interior parts in the tan colors. If I find a good specimen with a gray interior, can I reasonably expect to source tan dash, bezels, carpet, console, steering wheel, door panels at earth-bound prices? Or if tan interior is my main goal, should I hold out until I find that?

Thanks!

are you sure you want a YJ ? man they ride rough and are nowhere near as comfortable as a TJ. my brother had a 91 and man that thing would jar your teeth out on a dirt road and really wasn't much better on road . Hell you couldn't even turn up or change radio stations without thinking well ahead because it would bounce you around so bad and that was on pavement. the soft tops on the YJ are a pain in the ass to let down compared to a TJ .

are you sure you want a YJ ? man they ride rough and are nowhere near as comfortable as a TJ. my brother had a 91 and man that thing would jar your teeth out on a dirt road and really wasn't much better on road . Hell you couldn't even turn up or change radio stations without thinking well ahead because it would bounce you around so bad and that was on pavement. the soft tops on the YJ are a pain in the ass to let down compared to a TJ .

I’m not too worried about the ride quality. I’m sure it’ll be rough but it won’t be a daily driver or roadtripper, and may never see a dirt road. My LJ does all that for me.

I’m not set on a YJ though. If I could find a good price or a TJ or even CJ I’d consider that too, but YJ’s seem to be the cheapest by far and I don’t want to put a ton of money into a part-time toy.

Reactions: tr21triton
I've had the same thoughts, but to use it as the start of a trail rig build that I'd feel less guilty tearing up than my clean/straight LJ.

I’m not too worried about the ride quality. I’m sure it’ll be rough but it won’t be a daily driver or roadtripper, and may never see a dirt road. My LJ does all that for me.

I’m not set on a YJ though. If I could find a good price or a TJ or even CJ I’d consider that too, but YJ’s seem to be the cheapest by far and I don’t want to put a ton of money into a part-time toy.

if you can wait a few months I'll bet with our economy falling apart you will be able to get some good deals......

• Face Palm
Reactions: TJ Jim
The dash plastics can be painted so I wouldn't let the interior color be a determining factor in buying.

You want to look for the same things as a tj..rust

Reactions: tr21triton
The dash plastics can be painted so I wouldn't let the interior color be a determining factor in buying.

You want to look for the same things as a tj..rust

Yeah rust for sure is number one. That’s one reason I’m not even looking at the ones covered in bedliner in case they’re hiding rust on the tub.

I’ve painted some interior panels on my LJ and they look nice, but the paint is still susceptible to scratching off. I used SEM Color Coat; maybe I should have used a clear coat as well.

yes sir. I hope your a young feller ! just trying to warn ya buddy.. and you can get a nice TJ now with lower miles for 9k

To each his own but an auto transmission is a deal-breaker.

I’ll drive it and see; Maybe the seller will air down to 10 psi before i get there