Help me install my lift

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
IMG-8773.JPG

Swapping a lift from my TJ to LJ and the shock bolt on the top does not want to come loose. The stud spins with the nut so I put some vise grips on the top of the stud but it still spins in the vise grip and just eats at the metal at the top of the stud. Any tips on getting this thing out? I can't cut it out because this shock has to go into my TJ in tact. Also is the stud replaceable or is it attached to the shock?

The stud is not replaceable.

Most shocks have flats on the end of that chewed up part. There is a special tool you can put on it through that hole above it. You might be able to grind some flats on it with a dremel tool or something similar and use a small wrench to hold that end while using another wrench on the nut.

1652142974053.png

You might be able to use a damaged bolt/stud remover tool to hold it from above but I don't know that you'll get enough bite on it without damaging the threads for the nut.

1652143212275.png

Spray some kind of penetrating oil on the threads ASAP so it can be working it's way in and hopefully help it to loosen up.

Kroil is highly rated and has always worked well for me. A 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone will work very well too.

Reactions: DropTopDon

Can the shock still be reused with this method? He takes the bushing closest to the shock out and then holds it with a vise grip there. My question is if I put the shock in my TJ without that bushing would there be any problems

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Okay so for the stock front shocks on the LJ I was left with no choice but to break them out. Ran to the nearest auto shops and got some monroe shocks for $33 a pop. I’m selling the TJ anyway so it doesn’t matter to me what goes into that now. Anyways, the same problem has happened on my OME shocks which I plan on putting into the LJ, so I absolutely cannot break these ones out.
234D92AE-FA30-4E55-A7EB-8FA871327655.jpeg

Penetrating oil has been sprayed on it diligently for about 3 days prior to the project. Vise grips aren’t working either and I do not have an impact wrench. It is spinning on both sides. The last thing I can think of trying is heating with a torch. Really need to get these ones out without breaking anything.

Are you using and electric or air impact? That's the only way this is coming off!

Are you using and electric or air impact? That's the only way this is coming off!
I don’t have an impact wrench unfortunately. Currently debating whether I buy new rancho rs5000x shocks for $250 or if I should buy milwaukee impact and see if it gets my current shocks off.

Reactions: Irun
I don’t have an impact wrench unfortunately. Currently debating whether I buy new rancho rs5000x shocks for $250 or if I should buy milwaukee impact and see if it gets my current shocks off.
Regardless, you have to get the shocks loose. Coat the threads with a lubricant, hold the shock body, hit it with an impact. It will come loose!

Okay so for the stock front shocks on the LJ I was left with no choice but to break them out. Ran to the nearest auto shops and got some monroe shocks for $33 a pop. I’m selling the TJ anyway so it doesn’t matter to me what goes into that now. Anyways, the same problem has happened on my OME shocks which I plan on putting into the LJ, so I absolutely cannot break these ones out. View attachment 329626

Penetrating oil has been sprayed on it diligently for about 3 days prior to the project. Vise grips aren’t working either and I do not have an impact wrench. It is spinning on both sides. The last thing I can think of trying is heating with a torch. Really need to get these ones out without breaking anything.
It don’t look too rusty,vice grips on top

Buy the impact. It will likely get them loose, then you'll have a nice tool that you will use tons. If for some reason it doesn't get them loose, return the impact to home depot and use the money to buy Ranchos.

I just had to cut mine off a couple days ago. I tried many methods to get it off without cutting but no luck. Antiseize next time for me...

That shock tower looks amazing clean and good condition so you might be able to get yours off without cutting.

Could try a crowfoot wrench and breaker bar with visegrips.

Going to the home depot to buy an impact. The plan is to return it after the job but I’ll probably end up keeping it if it proves to be as useful as I have heard.

Anyone have any advice on if I should get the milwaukee M12 fuel stubby impact 3/8 or the big daddy m18 fuel 1/2? I don’t need crazy torque just something to get the control arm bolts etc off.
How much are you lifting the jeep, that you are considering leaving the stock length shocks in?
My LJ will be getting the 2.5 inch lift from the TJ and the TJ gets stock components from the LJ.

Reactions: 97TJNM
Also am I going to have to drill and tap a hole into where the bump stop sits? There is a threaded hole for it on my TJ but not on the LJ
484FECAF-DB27-4AAF-953C-7C53A79C4670.jpeg

CDAC359A-2BCE-4C54-AA39-68AFC46D323D.jpeg

Reactions: 97TJNM
Also am I going to have to drill and tap a hole into where the bump stop sits? There is a threaded hole for it on my TJ but not on the LJ
View attachment 329720

View attachment 329721
Yeah, you'll probably have to drill and tap em. At least the bottom ones. The top ones should already have a threaded hole when you remove the stock bump stop cup. I had to for my bump stops. It was a super easy job though. Don't overthink it, mine went smooth.

Going to the home depot to buy an impact. The plan is to return it after the job but I’ll probably end up keeping it if it proves to be as useful as I have heard.

Anyone have any advice on if I should get the milwaukee M12 fuel stubby impact 3/8 or the big daddy m18 fuel 1/2? I don’t need crazy torque just something to get the control arm bolts etc off.

My LJ will be getting the 2.5 inch lift from the TJ and the TJ gets stock components from the LJ.
I have dewalt tools, not Milwaukee (because I'm a poor ass) but either will likely work. If I already had impact sockets in either 3/8 or 1/2, I'd go with what I already had sockets for. I didn't when I bought mine, so I went with 1/2, because more is better, right? That said, I hear those Milwaukee 3/8 drive impacts are beasts.