Help me interpret these frame pictures

thomat65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello!

What do you guys think about these pictures of an '05 Rubicon (not unlimited) with 230k miles? Looks better than others I've seen, but I'm a newbie.

Thanks!

474d200047991558a73192e14f9dcfbb.0.jpg
4d5aab339d98788924ec5e95136836a8.0.jpg
870fd03b4777624f47b7bf423ae63d2b.0.jpg
cca10dc887dd07519045b6488b67ab88.0.jpg

I am not an expert...... but the waves the the mating surface of the skid plate has me wanting to check the inside of the frame.

It is really easy to paint a turd. I would definitely spend the few bucks for a scope that will plug into your phone. Best $40 you can spend. I have used mine many times. Once to find a socket in the frame. Does good looking in tight spaces.

DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope Inspection 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and iOS Smartphone, iPhone, Samsung, Tablet -Black(11.5FT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTHWK4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

the waves the the mating surface of the skid plate has me wanting to check the inside of the frame.

I was kind of wondering about that, too. Wanted someone else to point it out first though.

I would definitely spend the few bucks for a scope that will plug into your phone.

Good idea. I've actually already got one.

This is a Southern Jeep, though, and I'm way up North. I wonder what the seller would think if I shipped them a scope and asked for pictures inside the frame haha! Maybe they'd be more inclined if I made sure it was a nice scope and told them they could keep it.

It looks sprayed, and there’s enough texture to suggest the others are right - scope the inside and places that would be harder to paint (like the top of the skid plate, top of the frame rails, cross members, etc)

I see some potential spots of concern, but it's far from the worst I've seen.

The worst seems to be where the large skid plate is somewhat wavy between where it to bolts to the frame but I don't think it looks too bad. Are there flakes of rust in that area? If there never was, that is great news. More likely there was some flakes but if someone was able to loosen the bolts, remove the flakes and rebolt it together, that is pretty good news.

It does look to be painted but based on the visible surface rust by that slot in the second picture, the paint may be from quite a while ago which makes it less of a cover up today.

What is you budget buddy....

230,000 is a lot if it hasn't been maintained , and nothing if it really has....

What is you budget buddy....

Not a whole lot right now, but more with every paycheck 😉. Maybe I'll have enough scrounged up in a few months to not have to be looking at 200k+ Jeeps lol. On the other hand, I would feel terrible driving some of the beautiful low mileage pieces I've seen.

230,000 is a lot if it hasn't been maintained , and nothing if it really has....

Correct be if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard an automatic transmission is probably on it's last leg at 200k. Probably a good bit of life left in the 4.0 if it's been taken care of. And other than those and rust it's just normal maintenance.

But yeah if I get a 200k+ Jeep I don't expect to be winning Ride of the Month haha

We do a Ride of the Hour for guys that can't keep one running 30 days too.

You are right on both the engine and transmission .

My 03 Rubicon has 46,000 miles. I just went rock crawling at night .

Trust me ..you would not feel bad . You would feel fantastic , it is a ball .
And honestly , one that has some miles and wear and tear , is also a ball . Man a Jeep is just incredibly fun , year round .

I would also look to see if there is paint on things like rubber body mounts, or bolts heads that should not be the same color as the things next to them. And yes 200k mile is a bit unless it's going to be a weekend toy and not a DD.

Reactions: thomat65
I would also look to see if there is paint on things like rubber body mounts, or bolts heads that should not be the same color as the things next to them. And yes 200k mile is a bit unless it's going to be a weekend toy and not a DD.
Can I have your TJ for Christmas ?

Ok how about these? An '06 Rubi with 109k. Obviously painted, but I wonder if they did that only for looks. There are a couple of spots where the spray didn't reach yet it looks fine to me. Thoughts?

2006-jeep-wrangler-rubicon (3).jpg
2006-jeep-wrangler-rubicon (2).jpg
2006-jeep-wrangler-rubicon (1).jpg
2006-jeep-wrangler-rubicon.jpg

If the frame scopes clean , and the top looks as good as the underneath appears it would , at 109 k, I'd be all over it if the price is right.

Under one condition- your Avatar stays . We love it .