Help me pick out my next gun

What about my Ruger 10/22 with a 30rd banana clip? Nice & quiet - sure, not the fastest or most powerful, but I can empty that thing after not cleaning it for a year in less than 30 seconds and put a lot of little holes in an intruder. Hell of a mess to clean up, but it represents less than $3.00 per clip. Even after the cleaning supplies from Walmart I'm coming out ahead.

Reactions: Tomcat
What about my Ruger 10/22 with a 30rd banana clip? Nice & quiet - sure, not the fastest or most powerful, but I can empty that thing after not cleaning it for a year in less than 30 seconds and put a lot of little holes in an intruder. Hell of a mess to clean up, but it represents less than $3.00 per clip. Even after the cleaning supplies from Walmart I'm coming out ahead.
1594172943007.gif

For home defense I have a IWI Jericho ready to go in a safe connected to the bed.

I shoot in NRA distance competitions from time to time (mostly a hobby at this point) The 2 primary guns I use are a AR10 (SP10) frame (6.5 Creedmoor) and a HAVAK bolt action custom 24" barrel (chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor) both made by Seekins Precision.

I have a number of other firearms as well. I prefer the CZ action on pistols over the more widely used 1911 variants. Not much of a fan of "plastic" pistols and the CZ's and licensed CZ clones all have great steel/alloy variants. My favorite rifle these days is the new Henry Big Boy X in .357. It's a blast to shoot and is a very viable home defense weapon with a very low probability of failure.

For home defense I have a IWI Jericho ready to go in a safe connected to the bed.

I shoot in NRA distance competitions from time to time (mostly a hobby at this point) The 2 primary guns I use are a AR10 (SP10) frame (6.5 Creedmoor) and a HAVAK bolt action custom 24" barrel (chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor) both made by Seekins Precision.

I have a number of other firearms as well. I prefer the CZ action on pistols over the more widely used 1911 variants. Not much of a fan of "plastic" pistols and the CZ's and licensed CZ clones all have great steel/alloy variants. My favorite rifle these days is the new Henry Big Boy X in .357. It's a blast to shoot and is a very viable home defense weapon with a very low probability of failure.

From the IWI Jericho website

No models are available for CA or MA. :mad:

From the IWI Jericho website

No models are available for CA or MA. :mad:

Hmm.... I'm pretty sure they make a 10 round version. Check Bud's Gun Shop on line... If they don't there is a nearly identical gun sold by Magnum Research called the Baby Eagle. All the parts are made in the same Israeli shops. The only difference is the location of the safety lever.

EDIT: OK, in 2020 CA made it very difficult to make pistols CA compliant (yet another reason to hate 2020... and CA)

CA Compliant

IWI does have 10 round mag models that were CA compliant in 2019. With the new casting stamping requirement they are no longer compliant.

CZ does have a line of CZ75's that are compliant. They great pistols as well. I have a CZ SP 01 Tactical which is a great pistol. I like the Jericho a little better but in reality they are nearly the same when it comes to shooting.

Last edited:
If you haven’t found what you are looking for yet in stock don’t give up I’ve bought 3 guns at outdoor world bass pro this month, the Glock 10mm, Zev ZO9c 9mm and a S&W M&P-15 sport 2 in 5.56, they just happened to get the AR in the night before And I was first in the next morning killing time I’d been looking for one so I bought it on the spot. Right now everyones sold out internet prices are kind of high, but bass pro prices haven’t changed the AR with red dot optics was $759. I bought my oldest son one back in May for his birthday (he’s a deputy sheriff) off gun broker same package for $729 buy it now now the bids start around 800+ for the M&P. Bass Pro gets a gun shipment every couple of weeks so you need to check in often they did still have a nice selection of shot guns here and plenty of shot gun ammunition the other caliber rifle and pistol rounds were also trickling in. For ammunition bulkammo.com has some availability I was able to buy 1000 rounds of 10mm and 5.56 for $395 each and a 1000 rounds of 9mm for $425 (it’s harder to find).

I stopped at Guns Fishing and More Store https://gunsfishing.com/ which is a large gun store near me. The shelves were all but empty, I was going to pick up a few rounds for my handgun and they said they were out. And no just out of what I needed but OUT of everything they had no Amo at all. When I asked about buying another Hand Gun they guy told me I would need to order it and would take about 2-1/2 months before it would come in, and if I waited another few weeks it would be 6 months

WTF
:mad:

I stopped at Guns Fishing and More Store https://gunsfishing.com/ which is a large gun store near me. The shelves were all but empty, I was going to pick up a few rounds for my handgun and they said they were out. And no just out of what I needed but OUT of everything they had no Amo at all. When I asked about buying another Hand Gun they guy told me I would need to order it and would take about 2-1/2 months before it would come in, and if I waited another few weeks it would be 6 months

WTF

This whole mess going presently on in the US political system has caused a panic buy of guns and ammo that is unpreceded in history. I learned my lesson in '08 and decided to be PREPARED by becoming an avid shooter and reloader in the years since. I buy during the good times and note the sellers who gouge during the tough times. I know this doesn't help your situation but it has been a great help to me to keep an eye on the political situation at all times good and bad in the US to prepare for the future.

WTF
Cabelas was picked dry of ammo when I stopped by before the slickrock run. They had about 10% of the normal amount of guns and almost none in the used area.

Too bad we cant mail order ammo any more :mad:(n)

• Angry
Reactions: DrDmoney
Cabelas was picked dry of ammo when I stopped by before the slickrock run. They had about 10% of the normal amount of guns and almost none in the used area.

Too bad we cant mail order ammo any more :mad:(n)
I asked about buying ammo in Reno and he said it's against the law to bring ammo into CA. REALLY 🤬

I guess a lot of people are getting worried about the peaceful protesters.

I asked about buying ammo in Reno and he said it's against the law to bring ammo into CA. REALLY 🤬

I guess a lot of people are getting worried about the peaceful protesters.
I asked if they asked for ID when purchasing ammo and he said no. Henness pass, if I recall the name correctly, is a nice backway into truckee from verdi. 😉

It's crazy here in the Midwest too. Local shop I get my goods from has told me for the past few months, I can order whatever you want, but no idea when it will come in.

I had also been looking online and I was notified from PSA that their 300BA pistols came back in stock (in June I think). Email came in, seen it 10 minutes later after it was delivered to my inbox. After confirming with my local store it was ok to ship there, went to order 30 minutes later. Sold out again. It's killing my vibe...

Reactions: Rick Flair
Have any of you tried gunbroker? I picked up a Sig P365 and a Taurus .22 revolver on gunbroker recently. Worked out great. I've been looking for the Sig for months locally and picked one up on gunbroker in about a week. They have ammo too but the auction prices can be expensive.

This whole mess going presently on in the US political system has caused a panic buy of guns and ammo that is unpreceded in history. I learned my lesson in '08 and decided to be PREPARED by becoming an avid shooter and reloader in the years since. I buy during the good times and note the sellers who gouge during the tough times. I know this doesn't help your situation but it has been a great help to me to keep an eye on the political situation at all times good and bad in the US to prepare for the future.
Sandy Hook at the end of ‘12 was the big one prior. ‘08 was hard to find AR’s.

It's the perfect storm of supply chain disruption due to the virus shutdowns, politics with an upcoming election and a gun confiscation platform of one candidate, plus rioting with police departments standing down and now getting their budgets cut.

All of them contributing in their own way.