Help me wire a license plate mount rearview camera (-:

barko1

I'm completely new to Jeeps, know almost nothing but I bought an 05 LJ and am just starting to play with it. I'm swapping out the factory radio and in that process am adding a rear view camera that attaches to the license plate frame. I figured I could run the wires from the camera into the drivers rear tail light and follow those wires up front and into the cabin to the back of the radio where I will plug it in. My problem or ignorance is that I don't know where to access that wiring harness, where do the tail light wires go and how do I access that, crawled under and didn't see anything obvious, do I need to remove a panel or some such thing? Thanks

You have to move the plastic fender well out of the way. I think mine had 1 plastic tab holding it. I just took the tab out and pulled back on the fender well. If I remember right, the purple wire is the back up wire. This is on my 99 TJ though so it may be different on your, not sure. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along. And yah, my names of the fender well and tab are not the best, know there is a normal name for them but for the life of me, I can't get them to my fingers. LOL

Don't they make a bluetooth or something to hook up to your phone? That would be easier wouldn't it? Just need power.

Don't they make a bluetooth or something to hook up to your phone? That would be easier wouldn't it? Just need power.
I'm adding a new head unit that has small monitor that has a plug in for the camera. Shouldn't be a big deal. I have a wireless on the back of my travel trailer that works pretty well but I don't want to deal with an extra screen.

Thanks for the help, think I have the camera installed and wired, will see. When I got my camera wire into the area with the other wires I noticed there was a small hole already drilled into the backseat area so I just ran the wire through that and sealed it up. Next challenge is getting to the parking brake wire, receiver needs to be connect so certain functions aren't accessible when rolling down the road. Started a new post on that.

Reactions: skrelnik