Help... my headlights stay on and flatten my battery

jahra jones

Hi, I am new to the group and would appreciate any advice you can give. Recently I had an accident and rear ended a car, that night my battery went flat, turns out the headlights and the orange side lights are staying on. I had to get my dad to pull the fuse so I now don' t have central locking too due to same fuse. Has anyone had this happen? The insurance company is saying this is not from the accident, I have had my TJ for 2yrs now and with zero faults or issues until tge day of the accident... the auto electrician don't know what the fault is, second opinion today same result... has anyone experienced this or have any ideas of what the fault might be?
Thanks in advance.

My guess is the multifunction switch on the steering column. Common for them to fail. Easy to replace.

You don't say what model year TJ, I would replace whatever switch controls the headlights. Early TJs use a pull-out knob on the dash to control the headlights, newer TJs use a multi-function switch on the turn signal stalk. Both are pretty easily replaced with nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver.

Reactions: Reign Mack
Hi, I am new to the group and would appreciate any advice you can give. Recently I had an accident and rear ended a car, that night my battery went flat, turns out the headlights and the orange side lights are staying on. I had to get my dad to pull the fuse so I now don' t have central locking too due to same fuse. Has anyone had this happen? The insurance company is saying this is not from the accident, I have had my TJ for 2yrs now and with zero faults or issues until tge day of the accident... the auto electrician don't know what the fault is, second opinion today same result... has anyone experienced this or have any ideas of what the fault might be?
Thanks in advance.
Do you know if it is a rig for the Canadian market? I suspect that you may have a faulty DRL module since you mentioned central locking which was not standard on any Wranglers for the US market. Lots of folks swap the decals on the side from Wrangler to TJ which is the Canadian model but if you can in any way tell they haven't been swapped and it does have TJ on the side, I'd start with that module.

Reactions: Stinger
Is this a Jeep with daytime running lights?

If so the DRL module turns on the headlights if motion is detected????? or if it fails and thinks the Jeep it is in motion. 2 solutions... buy a new DRL module... about $40.00 or cut the orange/white wire. I cut the orange/white wire. Cannot believe the module will turn on the lights when the Jeep is parked.... need to line up the geeky IT guys who designed this and shoot them all.

google this before you cut the wire. my memory might be faulty.

I saw my headlights/DRL on one night. Had to unplug them to turn them off.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd be going after the insurance co. a bit more forcefully, as long as your rate will not increase. It obviously was from the accident and we call it "hidden damage".