Help needed with rocker switch wiring

PSUlion01

Apologies as this is likely covered in a post somewhere, but all search efforts both here and on Google don't seem to be returning what I need — I'm likely not searching for the right terms.

I'm helping my father install some accessory lighting on his TJ — roof light bar, windshield light cubes, rear lights, along with adding some 12v accessory ports for USB, CB, etc. Additionally, we were planning to replace the existing fog, rear wiper and rear defrost switches, and factory cigarette lighter outlet. In the end we're planning on having all Contura switches from OTRATTW with maybe 2 or 3 12v cigarette lighter ports.

I'm trying to understand how to best or most cleanly wire everything up. We eventually want something like a Bussmann setup, with single set of wires coming from the battery to a central fuse/relay/power distribution location. We might not get all of the fuses and relays together in a box just yet due to cost constraints, but are trying to avoid a birds nest of wires coming off the battery.

Can someone help explain or point me to a resource that might explain the following:
- General wiring connections from battery terminals. Seems like we're want 2 or 4AWG wire running into a ANL fuse or breaker first, then to the fuse/relay setup.
- Explanation of wiring from engine bay into cab — My understanding is that all switches can be daisy chained together, but I'm not totally following. Would I need one power and one ground going into the cabin, along with one wire per switch, so 6 switches = 8 wires total? Can the 12v sockets for USB, CB etc also be wired in-line with the switches?

I'm just having a hard time visualizing what the wires would look like from the Bussmann/fuse/relay setup. I read elsewhere that cat6 ethernet could be used for the switch wiring (not the power and ground) — does this sound correct? Sorry if some of the above seems basic or foolish, but if anyone that could help clarify or point me to a wiring schematic or video it would be very helpful.

Thanks!

This may help and more lights equals more relays.

PXL_20210308_152739033.jpg

This may help and more lights equals more relays.

View attachment 232261

Yes, very helpful thanks. A few questions:

1) On the right side (Fuse box), is that where I'd tap some accessory line so the switches come on with the ignition? If so, what's the best way to go about this? Would I use a tap splice or something else, and which item and where is best to do this for switches mounted near the factory rockers for fogs?

2) Why is there only one wire coming into the switch form the relay/battery side? All diagrams and pictures I'm seeing show a power and a ground (often daisy-chained), in addition to the switch wire coming into the switch panel. It's that daisy-chained red and black wire that I don't get — where does it come from? See below pics as examples:

The DIY wiring harness shown is from a link on the Tacoma Forums (DIY - Build and install a Bussmann RTMR Fuse/Relay Block) which is super detailed, but I don't understand where the 'Switch Independent LED Ground' and 'Switch Independent LED Power' wires are coming from. I assume these are the power and ground wires that get daisy-chained across switches.

Thanks again for any help you can offer...

61726e6573735f5a3241333639345f57697468546578745f7765623830302e6a7067.jpg

64330_W4.jpg

switch diagram.PNG

Yes, very helpful thanks. A few questions:

1) On the right side (Fuse box), is that where I'd tap some accessory line so the switches come on with the ignition? If so, what's the best way to go about this? Would I use a tap splice or something else, and which item and where is best to do this for switches mounted near the factory rockers for fogs?

2) Why is there only one wire coming into the switch form the relay/battery side? All diagrams and pictures I'm seeing show a power and a ground (often daisy-chained), in addition to the switch wire coming into the switch panel. It's that daisy-chained red and black wire that I don't get — where does it come from? See below pics as examples:

The DIY wiring harness shown is from a link on the Tacoma Forums (DIY - Build and install a Bussmann RTMR Fuse/Relay Block) which is super detailed, but I don't understand where the 'Switch Independent LED Ground' and 'Switch Independent LED Power' wires are coming from. I assume these are the power and ground wires that get daisy-chained across switches.

Thanks again for any help you can offer...

View attachment 232633

View attachment 232634

View attachment 232635

#1 You can use a fuse tap and tap it off any fuse behind the glove box tht only has power when the key is on.

#2 The relay needs power and ground (pins 85 and 86) to energize the coil to close the contacts and supply battery power (pins 30 and 87) to the lights. The lights will have a ground wire that the battery power will use. You can use the same ground for all the lights if you want by daisy chaining the ground wires together and connecting them to the battery or some other ground location.

As far as the switches, if it has an indicator light it will have 3 wires . One wire to the fuse tap for power, one to the relay (pin 86) and one to ground. The best ground for this is in the passenger foot well just below the dash. If is doesn't have an indicator light it will only have 2 wires, one to the fuse tap and one to the relay.

IMG_3583.JPG

For Rocker Switches check out New Wire Marine they excellent wiring info for every rocker Sw made and rocker switch covers, panels and switches. The ones pictured are on my boat
IMG_3569.JPG

#1 You can use a fuse tap and tap it off any fuse behind the glove box tht only has power when the key is on.

#2 The relay needs power and ground (pins 85 and 86) to energize the coil to close the contacts and supply battery power (pins 30 and 87) to the lights. The lights will have a ground wire that the battery power will use. You can use the same ground for all the lights if you want by daisy chaining the ground wires together and connecting them to the battery or some other ground location.

As far as the switches, if it has an indicator light it will have 3 wires . One wire to the fuse tap for power, one to the relay (pin 86) and one to ground. The best ground for this is in the passenger foot well just below the dash. If is doesn't have an indicator light it will only have 2 wires, one to the fuse tap and one to the relay.

Hey, finally revisiting this as I got a bunch of parts and some time to focus on things. In follow-up to our previous discussion, I'm still unclear where the #2 pinout on the switch would get it's power from. I'm planning on using the OTRATTW switches with independent indicator lights. 5 pins on the switch.

Regarding the ground on the switches: Seems like I can daisy chain the two ground pins on the switch together, and then chain each switch ground together, leaving a single wire off the switches to ground to the body somewhere. Is 18awg ok for these daisy-chained ground connections to the body in the cabin somewhere?

Regarding the 12v+ pins on the switches: I get that the indicator light (pin #8) can be daisy-chained from switch to switch and then tapped off a fuse in the glove box that goes on with the ignition. This will illuminate the switches when the car is on. I don't understand where the other 12v+ wire should come from, going to pin #2 on the switch. Can that also be wired in-line with pin #8? If so, is 18awg again ok to use here? What about fuse size coming off the tap? My understanding is that these load will be small, just for the switch LED and to send a signal to my relay to turn on the accessory.

The above setup would leave me with two wires going into my switch panel, one daisy-chain for the two ground pins per switch-to-body, and another daisy-chain for the two 12v+ pins per switch-to-fused tap in glove box.

Remaining would be one separate wire per switch from pin #3, back to my relay for each accessory. So, if I had 4 accessory devices, I'd have 4 wires + 1 ground + 1 12v+ coming off the switch panel. Does this sound correct?

Lastly, I'm going to add more 12v outlets. Should each be wired with separate power and ground, or can these also be chained together? I need to research this a bit more I think, but any direction here would be helpful as well.

Thanks!