Help. Noise

JBell

First I want to say thanks for letting me join. I hope to learn a lot. I have a 04 Jeep wrangler Dr standard. I have owned it for a week and have started hearing a chirping noise from below that starts when warmed up and stops and starts at 30 mph and above. Also some sort of sound like a screw rattling around in a can that starts at 50 mph and stops at the same 28th vibration. Motor sounds strong, it shifts great and drives straight. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Chris
Kinda sounds like the angry sparrows syndrome. In short the u joint on the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. Do a search and you will know more than you ever wanted. Solution? Pull the shaft and get the joint replaced-now!

Reactions: TheFrenchMan
Kinda sounds like the angry sparrows syndrome. In short the u joint on the transfer case end of the front drive shaft. Do a search and you will know more than you ever wanted. Solution? Pull the shaft and get the joint replaced-now!
Thanks. That was very helpful. I will repost my end result.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris and Stinger
Ok. First I want to say thank you for the help. Spot on advice. I have the feint shaft out and it made the biggest difference. I will be replacing the joints and ball assembly in the week ahead. Thanks again.

Glad that you were able to fix it. Nothing like having your TJ run good and new again!

Ok. First I want to say thank you for the help. Spot on advice. I have the feint shaft out and it made the biggest difference. I will be replacing the joints and ball assembly in the week ahead. Thanks again.

For me that is the only reason for these item specific forums---to share information and experiences. I learn so much here and on others forums it is unbelievable. Who needs google?

This is been there, done that stuff!

Reactions: Chris
Forums are an invaluable source of information.

I've noticed a huge amount of people using Facebook Groups for help with stuff like this. My issue with that is that the Facebook Groups don't come up in Google search results, nor do they have the search functionality that a forum does.

That means that if I ask a question on Facebook I have to wait for a number of people to respond. However, if I post it on a forum it's here on the forum, indexed for all eternity and therefore easily accessible to someone else who may eventually have the same problem (and need help with it) in the future.

Reactions: TheFrenchMan
Agreed Chris. While the FB site is "okay" it still is lacking in depth.

Yes, that's my issue with it as well. And like I said, if I do a Google search for something like, "How to replace heater core on a Jeep Wrangler TJ", the FB stuff can't be found since the groups are private.

I have one too, no prblems in driving. But whenever moving, kind of a rattling from the front end. Tilted tire, can't be ball joint or bearing. Steering is all tight, any ideas? Hope to switch out springs and shocks and wheels this weekend to rule all those out.

I have one too, no prblems in driving. But whenever moving, kind of a rattling from the front end. Tilted tire, can't be ball joint or bearing. Steering is all tight, any ideas? Hope to switch out springs and shocks and wheels this weekend to rule all those out.

If you're doing springs and shocks I would do tie rod ends and ball joints, especially if the vehicle has over 100k miles on it and you have no record of these things having been done before.