1. Want to have your TJ featured as the September 2018 "Ride of the Month"? The winner will receive a $200 gift card from Metalcloak! Click here to submit a photo of your TJ. Submissions are accepted until August 20th!
    Dismiss Notice

Help: Oldest son is job hunting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KMG, Aug 9, 2018 at 8:01 AM.

1. KMG

KMG TJ Enthusiast

Hello, My oldest son graduated from Tulsa University this May with a double major in International finance and Economics. He is looking for a job in the Seattle area. He is a very hard worker and not afraid to begin at the bottom and prove himself. Any leads or tips are appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Shatto likes this.
  2. Shatto

Shatto Member

I'm curious; what kind of lifestyle does he want?

3. KMG

KMG TJ Enthusiast

He enjoys hiking, camping, golf, anything outdoors. Not a nightlife kind of person. Mature for his age.

Shatto likes this.
  4. Sancho

Sancho TJ Enthusiast

Tell him to stay focused.. treat it like a full time job.

Took me 2 years to find a career type job after getting my Masters in Global Business.. living in san diego. (I stayed busy working, just way over qualified)

It took that long because I lost steam.. though I hunted.. I did much less when I first started.

God provided for me.. as he will for your son. Just gotta stay focused and don't forget to see what's Gods plan is in all this.

Pm me if he needs resume or job search tips.

KMG, Squatch and ohiopatriot like this.
  5. Shatto

Shatto Member

Does he like solving problems, puzzles, riddles? (As opposed to having a solid, predictable routine?)

6. KMG

KMG TJ Enthusiast

Problem solver. Loves solving problems, puzzles, trivia, any thing that challenges mentally. He's a very inquisitive outside the box thinker but physically looks very traditional.

Shatto likes this.
  7. KMG

KMG TJ Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice and offer to help. He treats job searching as his full time job because he knows his time in Seattle with out a job is limited. He's always been good at setting realistic goals followed up with a plan to achieve the goal.

8. Shatto

Shatto Member

Good.
    If he can think outside the box, he might investigate low-risk Option Trading, which is what I do. There are people making tidy sums, which funds playtime, even when they are involved in playing, This is how I intend funding my living and exploring in my motorhome.

Let's put it this way; if he has income, independent of his trading time for dollars, he can do what he loves, and/or trained for on his own time schedule, not the bosses.

KMG likes this.
  9. Sancho

Sancho TJ Enthusiast

Seattle should have import export.. commodity exchanges/trading, shipping, currency exchanges... triangular arbitrage industries. I know san fran is big on those areas.

KMG likes this.
  10. Sancho

Sancho TJ Enthusiast

Linkedin, the ladders, and zip recruiter can help identify companies in the industry he is interested in.

For a guy who likes outdoor stuff.. maybe he should look into one of the outdoor camping hiking companies.

11. Shatto

Shatto Member

12. skrelnik

skrelnik TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

A couple junior openings at this shop in Seattle. Smart people at this place so if he applies make sure to triple check spelling and grammar.

https://www.freestonecapital.com/careers

If he wants to work at a financial services firm have him register at this site and look through the job openings.

https://village-us.albourne.com

KMG likes this.
  13. KMG

KMG TJ Enthusiast

Thank you. I forwarded the information to him.

14. johnny deeker

johnny deeker Member

You might also suggest he sterilize his facebook account if he has one. As a former HR guy i can tell you it is checked.

15. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

X100!

Scrub any social networking account of absolutely anything that could be misinterpreted. I'd also even go as far as taking anything political down from social networking profiles as well. With the heated political climate we live in, it's best to not even get into politics at all when it comes to work.

I've known a number of managers who told me first hand that social media and Google is one of the first things they check on job applicants!