Help on spare Duratrac tire 31x10.5xR15 Alcoa wheel won’t fit on stock tire mount

Loopback

Supporting Member
Looking for help on Spare Duratrac tire 31x10.5xR15 on Alcoa Wheel (Rocky Mountain Edition) that won’t fit on stock spare tire mount. It looks like maybe due to back spacing and the 10.5" wide tire that the snubbers are in the way. Here is what I have been able to come up (See Below I-V) with reading the forums. Looking for any suggestions to correct it and mount it. I appreciate any help!

I. Remove or trim Snubbers. Stock brake light may need washer lift or trimming.

II. Use 1-inch wheel spacer

III. Add washers between the tailgate and the stock spare tire mount to push stock spare tire mount away from tailgate.

IV. Replace lugs on stock spare tire carrier with longer lugs —-> Sounds too complicated for me :).

V. Go with what @Chris used, which looks like Rugged Ridge 11585.01. I assume with moving out 2 inches, I would need to add hockey pucks, pvc, or add and trim/cut second set of factory snubbers recommended by @Jerry Bransford to get the snubbers to touch the tire again.

Last edited:
What material did you use to extend rubber snubbers? I assume longer bolts/screws were needed?

Yes, I had to get longer screws. For the extended snubbers, I bought a second set of factory snubbers and ended up cutting the rounded portion off the top, then using that extra rubber part to extend them.

Did this fit the factory mounting holes too? Some comments on Amazon were conflicting about this.

I don’t have this problem yet, but probably will when I get a right sized spare. The current snubbers push pretty hard even against my smaller tire.

Also, perhaps a dumb question, but are the snubbers really required to keep things from rattling?

Did this fit the factory mounting holes too? Some comments on Amazon were conflicting about this.

I don’t have this problem yet, but probably will when I get a right sized spare. The current snubbers push pretty hard even against my smaller tire.

Also, perhaps a dumb question, but are the snubbers really required to keep things from rattling?

Yes, it fits the factory mounting holes perfectly.

Also, you need the snubbers. Not only do they keep things from rattling, but if you don't have the snubbers (and have your spare pushed up tight against them), you WILL destroy your tailgate and hinges in short order, especially if you off-road.

I can't stress this enough... YOU MUST HAVE THE RUBBER SNUBBERS AND THE SPARE TIRE MUST BE UP VERY SNUG AGAINST THEM!

Reactions: Creakydoor
Ok, snubbers it is. :)

Though I see on another thread that you ditched the Rugged Ridge carrier. Is a spacer the way to go then? Tire is just changing from a 30/9.5 to a 31/10.5.

Last edited:
Here's an Old School method which worked perfectly when I upgraded my spare from the original Goodyear Wrangler to a (matching) BF Goodrich 31"X10.5" on my 2004 TJ. Deflate ALL the air from your spare when it's on the ground - this will make it easily fit onto your stock spare tire carrier. Tighten the attachment lug nuts securely, THEN fill the tire up to ~30 PSI (assuming that you run your tires at ~25-26 PSI - I always like a bit of a "dividend" in my spare to compensate for a slight loss in pressure as time goes by)...

In other words: "Don't raise the bridge, lower the river", LOL!