Help replacing parking brakes on 2004 Rubicon

PriddyBoy

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I need to replace the parking brake on my 2004 Rubicon. I looked in the how to section and didn't find anything. YouTube was no help either. so unless I'm just a goober and missed it can someone please help me with either a walk thru or a link to a video please. Thanks in advance.

It's documented in the FSM. You can download a free copy here:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

Once you install the new ones, follow @mrblaine's advice on adjusting the parking brakes:

Do your first adjustment at the shoes with the star adjuster. Ignore all the internet BS methods and tighten it until there is enough drag that you can barely turn a 35" tire by hand.

When both sides are that way, then adjust the cables at the T bracket under the tub until you remove all the slack, but aren't moving the actuator lever at the backing plate.

When that is done, take the rig for a short drive very slowly and keeping the button on the parking brake handle depressed, raise it until you feel it slow the vehicle, lower it, and do it again a few times.

New parking brake shoes in this case need to be seated to the small drums for the best efficiency. Going slow and applying the parking brake will accomplish that for you.

Take it back to your work area and once again adjust the shoes at each side until you have a very slight amount of drag and then adjust the cables again.

Done correctly, you will have to pull up very hard on the parking brake handle to get more than 3 clicks.

Reactions: PriddyBoy