What is this cable?

Robnfl

I'm in the process of reinstalling all of my TJ's interior and as I was about to install the forward center console I noticed this. Apparently a cable, that looks like it should be attached, is not attached to a plastic piece that's controlled by the automatic gear shifter. It's definitely not the shifter linkage. There is also a small spring towards the base that isn't attached either. I'm pretty sure that I didn't accidentally disconnect these when I removed the console.
So, what does this cable do? And does it need to be reattached?

20181117_134640.jpg
20181117_140716.jpg

That's the piece that prevents the shifter from being shifted out of Park without stepping first on the brake.

That's kind of what I thought it might be, but I just traced the cable and it leads up to the steering column. I also pushed on the brake pedal and the cable doesn't move.

It does look like it prevents the shifter from moving out of park though.

Brake Transmission Shift Interlock cable.

Did the other end look like this? The black cable thing in the bottom of the pic.

E36807FC-B258-43C9-85DD-AA86E0D7D6A9.jpeg

Maybe the same theme...
When I step on the brake and release, I have a clicking noise in the selector lever from the ATG (when releasing....). This problem is unfortunately not 100% reproducible and only occurs in the "D" position. When touching the selector lever, the noise can also be felt - so there is something shifting.

Pressing the lock button several times or hitting the selector lever helps for the time being. The repair manual did not help.

Other ATG (e.g. Volvo S-series) have a small solenoid switch that releases the selector lever and can be responsible for the noise.

Is this the same with the TJ ?
I don't think it's worth to remove the lock anymore but maybe there is a "quick and dirty" solution to disable the solenoid switch - if it should be the culprit then. Thanks, Edgar

Maybe Jerry has a suggestion where to look....

(I am German, have also asked the German Jeep Forum too but as always no answer - well, the Germans do not really know the Jeep - I think ... Therefore, I prefer to ask here where the right experts are...)

Maybe the same theme...
When I step on the brake and release, I have a clicking noise in the selector lever from the ATG (when releasing....). This problem is unfortunately not 100% reproducible and only occurs in the "D" position. When touching the selector lever, the noise can also be felt - so there is something shifting.

Pressing the lock button several times or hitting the selector lever helps for the time being. The repair manual did not help.

Other ATG (e.g. Volvo S-series) have a small solenoid switch that releases the selector lever and can be responsible for the noise.

Is this the same with the TJ ?
I don't think it's worth to remove the lock anymore but maybe there is a "quick and dirty" solution to disable the solenoid switch - if it should be the culprit then. Thanks, Edgar

Maybe Jerry has a suggestion where to look....

Brake Transmission Shift Interlock cable.

Did the other end look like this? The black cable thing in the bottom of the pic.

View attachment 63934

Did you figure out where the yellow end connects? I have the same view at the moment.

(I am German, have also asked the German Jeep Forum too but as always no answer - well, the Germans do not really know the Jeep - I think ... Therefore, I prefer to ask here where the right experts are...)