Help wiring 06 TJ side marker / parking lights

LoKrawl

So the back story is that I have an 06 TJ with flat fenders and only have a small led single function blinker up front. When I moved to Maryland I failed my vehicle inspection for not having side blinkers and running/parking lights. The current blinker setup is from the previous owner and when I look and see all the excess wires under my front fender I'm at a loss. I purchased a set of multi function blinker/marker lights but I cant seem to wire them up properly. I'm ignorant when it comes to all things electrical and wiring but I'm hoping someone can help identify the wire colors for me to I can get this thing back street legal.

lZKg16c.jpg

I2Uoi3J.jpg

If someone could take the time to look at how their blinker/marker lights are wired I'd really appreciate it. My jeep also does not have fog lights and there is no switch on the interior that I can find so I don't think I have the wiring for them.

For your aftermarket turn signal/side marker bulbs, they will need to be 3 wire type. One wire will be the ground wire. Terminate that wire at any bare metal. A 2nd wire will go to the running light wire, which you can identify using the colors of the wire (check in the FSM). The 3rd wire will run to the turn signal wire, again identified by color.

You should be able to check which one of those wires is which by cycling through the light positions. Take a voltmeter and connect one side to bare metal. Turn on the parking lights and see which wires are reading 12 volts. Those wires will be for your running lights. Shut off the parking lights and turn on the hazards. The intermittent 12 volts on the other wire should be your signal wires.

Depending upon the kit you purchased it may be as easy as splicing to those 2 wires and grounding the 3rd. If you’re using the OE style 2-wire lights it gets a bit more complicated, especially if you’re using LEDs.

So if I'm reading this correctly the white/orange wire in my picture shouldn't exist at all or at least wasn't factory so I can ignore it.

Basically I need to splice the green wire to both my three wire light and my two wire light, splice the yellow wire to the three wire and two wire light, and then just ground the three wire.

I'd be lying if I said I understand how this all actually works but I'll give it a go. Now if I can just figure out how to work this voltage meter...

VK0X2tm.jpg

I got everything wired up and working perfectly. I still don’t know what the white/orange wire on each side under the fenders is. Looks factory but I can’t find it in any wiring diagrams. Possibly fog light wiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 06 TJ my side marker only has 2 wires, white w/yellow line & white w/brown line. Which one is positive and which one is negative?

On my 06 TJ my side marker only has 2 wires, white w/yellow line & white w/brown line. Which one is positive and which one is negative?

They may both be positive, one is run one is turn signal, negative is ground, no wire needed. Easy test, use a test light, clip it to a good clean ground (Negative battery terminal if it will reach)and probe the two wires in question. My guess is one will light the test light and the other will blink it.

Reactions: Sponge
Thank you guys for this short but effective thread...

My drama is...

Previous owner - LED headlights/tail lights/turnsignals - no side markers

Hit hazards - and blew a fuse and everything stopped blinking

Just wired in OEM front turn signals, replaced fuse, new relay, and new multi-function switch too for good measure.

NO side marker lights...just found another thread about side marker lights are typically the issue. SO ordered those and tried wiring them in today...

Dealing with
- headlights off - Signals work - kind of - blinks as it should but lightly out of the other side lights as well as dash lights
- headlights on - no blink including hazards

Went to wire in side mark lights today
- wired up left side with yellow/white & light green/white
- the random white/orange wire is all i have on the right side w/a yellow/white - found the orange/white light in the fog light wiring diagram on another page of FSM

- so need to dig thru the wire loom further tomorrow and see if I can get these damn things to blink right. because it looks like both side markers need to be wired up to make it all blink right

This is more frustrating to troubleshoot than my EFI on my old CJ-7

Almost sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Locate all the ground path points, especially screws, and clean them up with steel wool. You'd be amazed at all the gremlins a single bad ground will cause

Reactions: Sponge