Help with choosing upper control arms for lift kit

Spent$

Hello!
I want to have a zone 4 in lift on my sons 98, my mechanic told me to get a kit that includes new control arms because all our factory bushings are bad. Most affordable kits (in my price range) only include lower arms, how do i add upper control arms to the kit? i see some are adjustable does that help even though the lowers are not adjustable? I would greatly appreciate some guidance as to what uppers to purchase.. thanks in advance!!

John

A few options, I’d highly highly reccomend you get double adjustable uppers. They make your life significantly easier dialing in the pinion/ caster. That will smooth out the ride / eliminate rear vibrations if you have issues.

options that make those include metalcloak, savvy, and rockjock.

All are on the higher end of the spectrum cost wise but not having to disconnect to adjust is a huge advantage

Reactions: Claybirdd
4" suspension or 3" + 1" body lift?
A little less lift can determine whether you need adjustable or can retain the (cheaper) factory style arms.

4 in suspension lift i was going to go 3in until mechanic told me all control arm bushings are bad so then i figured 4 in because it included the lower control arms.. but parts vs labor to rebuild stock ones i would rather spend the money on the parts.. kiddo is turning 16 and i just bought the jeep last week.. so i am clueless. Trying to do this as cost effective as possible. And no SYE for now.. i did see some single adjustable uppers from freedom offroad not sure if thats an option thanks

A few options, I’d highly highly reccomend you get double adjustable uppers. They make your life significantly easier dialing in the pinion/ caster. That will smooth out the ride / eliminate rear vibrations if you have issues.

All are on the higher end of the spectrum cost wise but not having to disconnect to adjust is a huge advantage

Yeah the cost would add at least $600 which we dont have unfortunately..

Reactions: IPerkWVU
I’d still want to get adjustable arms for the uppers, there are cheaper single adjustable options like Core4x4, Rubicon express, rough country. if they are poly bushings on both ends I wouldn’t recommend them, the OEM used rubber for a reason.

Are the shot control arms OEM or aftermarket? If oem, look at direct replacements.

A lot of zone lifts came with 3” spring lift and 1” body lift. Are you sure you don’t have a 1” body lift, there would be a puck on all of the body mounts

Reactions: JMT

I’d still want to get adjustable arms for the uppers, there are cheaper single adjustable options like Core4x4, Rubicon express, rough country. if they are poly bushings on both ends I wouldn’t recommend them, the OEM used rubber for a reason.

Are the shot control arms OEM or aftermarket? If oem, look at direct replacements.

A lot of zone lifts came with 3” spring lift and 1” body lift. Are you sure you don’t have a 1” body lift, there would be a puck on all of the body mounts

No jeep is stock.

Jeep is stock right now this is what i was looking at from zone

10DF4460-F307-4C36-806C-155FA9D47138.png

4 in suspension lift i was going to go 3in until mechanic told me all control arm bushings are bad so then i figured 4 in because it included the lower control arms.. but parts vs labor to rebuild stock ones i would rather spend the money on the parts.. kiddo is turning 16 and i just bought the jeep last week.. so i am clueless. Trying to do this as cost effective as possible. And no SYE for now.. i did see some single adjustable uppers from freedom offroad not sure if thats an option thanks

I assume you're starting from scratch. No lift.
There's quite a bit of difference in work and money between 3" and 4".
If you're on a budget, I would do whatever it takes to stay with oem replacement arms.
They're cheap enough to replace the whole arm and not mess with the bushings.
You (and son) could do it yourself. ;)

Reactions: GPK03X and IPerkWVU
No jeep is stock.

Jeep is stock right now this is what i was looking at from zone

View attachment 408212

It is actually a
Little cheaper on a different website. so all the shocks and control arm bushings are bad plus the tires so i figured if i had to replace all of it i would add a lift.. rubicon express has affordable uppers only single adjustment though.. does it matter if lowers are not adjustable?

9 hours labor vs 5

Going the spring lift only route, is less install time upfront but you’ll spend more time dialing out the vibrations a 4” spring lift creates… and probably more money buying rear upper control arms to fix your pinion angle. That’s because your driveline angles are higher than a 3” lift (how far up your transfer case sits relative to the axle) ,

The combo lift is less spring lift, still works well, and has the ability to use new OEM style control arms with rubber bushings that flex (and won’t rip the mounts off like hard poly).

Going the spring lift only route, is less install time upfront but you’ll spend more time dialing out the vibrations a 4” spring lift creates… and probably more money buying rear upper control arms to fix your pinion angle. That’s because your driveline angles are higher than a 3” lift (how far up your transfer case sits relative to the axle) ,

The combo lift is less spring lift, still works well, and has the ability to use new OEM style control arms with rubber bushings that flex (and won’t rip the mounts off like hard poly).

Thank you for you're help I really appreciate it. I am going to look into this instead, makes sense.

Reactions: IPerkWVU