Help with choosing upper control arms for lift kit

Go with the Zone 4.25" combo lift, Rancho rs5000x shocks and stock control arms for $25 each.
tan jeep no lift (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

zone lift.jpg

Go with the Zone 4.25" combo lift, Rancho rs5000x shocks and stock control arms for $25 each.

ok perfect sounds like the 4.25 is the way to go for my budget, why the rancho5000? Do they ride better or outlast the zone offerings? Thanks!

I saw that however the installation time goes to 9 hours labor vs 5 the other way.. and the kit comes with shocks

Going with an aftermarket control arm that does not have a JJ is a step back from stock. They are usually just DOM or solid link with a rubber or poly bushing. There is no flex in the link itself, just the busking, so stress is transferred to the mounts. The stock channel sacrifice some strength, but they are a u channel design that can twist. They are cheap enough that you can replace all 8 for about $200. If you stay around 3” suspension lift I’d stay with stock.

If you’ve never installed a suspension or body lift those installation times mean nothing.

ok perfect sounds like the 4.25 is the way to go for my budget, why the rancho5000? Do they ride better or outlast the zone offerings? Thanks!

Yes. Zone only has their black nitro shocks now. Some places that sell Zone lifts offer the Rancho shocks as an option with the kit.

Last edited:
Going with an aftermarket control arm that does not have a JJ is a step back from stock. They are usually just DOM or solid link with a rubber or poly bushing. There is no flex in the link itself, just the busking, so stress is transferred to the mounts. The stock channel sacrifice some strength, but they are a u channel design that can twist. They are cheap enough that you can replace all 8 for about $200. If you stay around 3” suspension lift I’d stay with stock.

If you’ve never installed a suspension or body lift those installation times mean nothing.

Thanks!

Really nice! Here is the before pic of the jeep i bought my son. Hopefully in few weeks it will be awesome, and yes i know the bumpers are awesome 😂

View attachment 408260

Nice color. When I bought my Rubicon 6 years ago it had twin tube bumpers and those side steps on it. I was shocked when someone gave me $150 for the bunch a week later.
RED RUBI 3 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Reactions: JMT
Nice color. When I bought my Rubicon 6 years ago it had twin tube bumpers and those side steps on it. I was shocked when someone gave me $150 for the bunch a week later.
View attachment 408262

Ok so I am going to order the combo lift and the rancho 5000x i see they have the shocks for 2-3 in lift, also some for 3.5in and then 4-5in lift, assuming i would need the 2-3? Or should i do the 3.5?

If my suspension lift was going to be in the 2.5-3” range I would pair the following. Rancho’s run a bit long, and I’ve been down this road several times.

55239 for the front
55240 for the rear

Reactions: TheBoogieman
If my suspension lift was going to be in the 2.5-3” range I would pair the following. Rancho’s run a bit long, and I’ve been down this road several times.

55239 for the front
55240 for the rear

Ok great! Thanks for the info! Definitely feel better knowing they run a little long!

Reactions: TheBoogieman

55239 for the front
55240 for the rear

Ok sorry to bug went a different direction with lift, my neighbor around the corner has a really nice jeep that he did a zone 3in with a 3/4 spacer in the front to level it out and accommodate for bumper, looks perfect for my sons needs so i decided to go that route however having trbl finding the rancho shocks for it, would i need 2 sizes? The3.5 for front and 3 for rear? I can only find sets of 4 for 3.5 having trbl finding them in sets of 2.. any idea what part numbers? Thanks