Help with clutch!

ObedaTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey it’s me again! So my clutch was working just fine however when I was driving home it started to smell like brakes but I wasn’t slamming them so I kept driving to get home and that’s when the clutch was pressing in all the way with no pressure and the car kept moving but when I stopped at a red light it stopped moving. I pressed clutch in switched to 1st nothing. Long story short I got the car home but what could this be and how much could it cost? I am really freaking out here.

Sounds like your clutch went out, mine when out over Thanksgiving weekend, it cost me about 250 for the parts. Not very hard to do as long as you have the parts and time. There is lots of videos on YouTube with step by step instructions on how to fix it

Yep, sounds like your clutch went out. I'd expect to pay around $1000 for a new clutch.

Purchase the same clutch as they come stock if you need a clutch.

You want to make sure your clutch slave cylinder doesn't have any issues first

Okay so good news and bad news I got a clutch kit for 120$ from Autozone and a mechanic near me is going to replace it for 500$ but MY JEEP WONT TURN ON! Been like this since Saturday, replaced the fuel pump, crankshaft position censor and oil pressure switch. Each time I replaced a part it would work for a day then do the same thing all over again.

Does your battery have a charge? Possible that or an alternator. Another thing to check would be your starter

Does your battery have a charge? Possible that or an alternator. Another thing to check would be your starter
It does, it cranks but won’t actually start, if I turn the key and leave it I get “no bus” along with a check engine light. It’s not throwing any codes but that could be due to the battery reset

Okay so I found a new mechanic, confirmed that the clutch disk is completely burned out. I got a new LuK kit for about 100$ without discount codes and such. He’s going to change it for me for 350$. Great deal right?

Okay so I found a new mechanic, confirmed that the clutch disk is completely burned out. I got a new LuK kit for about 100$ without discount codes and such. He’s going to change it for me for 350$. Great deal right?
That's not a bad installation price at all. I've done just one clutch replacement on a Wrangler TJ and that one was enough.

Do NOT let the installer turn or resurface the flywheel, the factory service manual specifically says not to do that. And odds are about 99.9999% that you will not need a new flywheel either so don't waste your $$$ on one unless the installer shows you that yours is damaged and needs replacement which is highly unlikely. If any glazing is present on the surface of the flywheel, the installer can remove it with just some mild sandpaper or emery cloth. That is also per the official factory service manual. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mots and ObedaTJ
That's not a bad installation price at all. I've done just one clutch replacement on a Wrangler TJ and that one was enough.

Do NOT let the installer turn or resurface the flywheel, the factory service manual specifically says not to do that. And odds are about 99.9999% that you will not need a new flywheel either so don't waste your $$$ on one unless the installer shows you that yours is damaged and needs replacement which is highly unlikely. If any glazing is present on the surface of the flywheel, the installer can remove it with just some mild sandpaper or emery cloth. That is also per the official factory service manual. :)
Thanks for the info! this guy is a longtime friend of my dad, he doesn't like to work on Jeeps but he said the clutch he could do. I went to someone before this guy and he told me he would do 800$ without the parts and he told me to get a new flywheel. Another guy asked for 1250$ but with parts. My dads connections came in handy!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
505DC0FC-AA59-4F08-88D3-0B61871754A8.jpeg

This is the old clutch, could I still use it?
The new clutch kit makes the Jeep fast, faster than it was i’m not kidding! It literally jumps forward now it’s awesome!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I got the Jeep with 144k and put about 2k on it, so 146k in total but I only drove it for 2k miles lol
That amount of damage/wear at only 146k miles is very surprising and unusual. I abused the hell out of my clutch, regularly smoking it while rock crawling with it, and it still had plenty of life on it when out of caution I replaced it at about 161k miles. >200k miles on a TJ's clutch is not unusual.

This is my previous TJ's clutch with 161k miles on it the day I replaced it out of caution, not expecting it to still be in good condition.

CIMG1354.JPG
CIMG1359.JPG

This is clutch smoke which happened on a semi-regular basis while rock crawling (one reason I later converted to an automatic). This photo was taken four years before replacing the above clutch disk.

0a50a5c0.jpg

Reactions: ObedaTJ and KCsTJ