Help with crossmember repair

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
Rig is 2004 LJ with 4" lift - Just noticed my transmission/transfer case Skid Plate has come loose at the front. I didn't install it (came with the jeep) and know nothing about brand etc.
  1. Can anyone ID The brand etc.?
  2. How do I fix it? Does not look like there is a nut on the inside of the frame for the bolt that is out?
  3. Do I need to worry about the other side that looks bent?

Any help appreciated!

That is the factory transmission skid plate. Someone put in a rubber expandable plug to compensate for a failed factory nutsert.
Back off the bolt and reinsert the expandable rubber plug. Retorque. BUT.... It's a temporary fix.
Or pull the whole darn thing off if you don't wheel it.
Or put in some better skids if you do wheel it and want protection.

Reactions: B252
That is the factory transmission skid plate. Someone put in a rubber expandable plug to compensate for a failed factory nutsert.
Back off the bolt and reinsert the expandable rubber plug. Retorque. BUT.... It's a temporary fix.
Well we definitely wheel it hard - lots of rock crawling which is probably how it got tore up. What brand skid plate do you recommend? How do the aftermarket ones install - do they use existing holes in frame and come with their own nutserts etc?

So do you think this is the stock skid plate, which is what it looks like the nutsert sets are made for?
Yes
Well we definitely wheel it hard - lots of rock crawling which is probably how it got tore up. What brand skid plate do you recommend? How do the aftermarket ones install - do they use existing holes in frame and come with their own nutserts etc?
This is a much better idea given you use it in the rocks. I have the TJ version of the skid row one I'll link below and it has held up great. https://www.skidrowoffroad.com/product/jeep-lj-unlimited-engine-transmission-skid-plate/

It will also protect your oil pan. Installation instructions can be found through the link. The nutsert would not be needed in this case.

I don't see the plug.

Always been a Houston, Texas Jeep, but has probably been to the beach in Galveston a few times. There really isn’t any real rust - just plenty of surface rust from being banged around on the trails......

I don't see the plug.

Yeah, you are correct, Sir. My old eyes looked at it again. Initially it looked like those spacers where expandable plugs.

Looks like that skid took some real good hits. With the spacer on there the impact leverage is multiplied.

To the OP: Not a good situation. Buy a MML and a surfboard skid or TerraFlex skids.

There really isn’t any real rust - just plenty of surface rust from being banged around on the trails......
Still in the Houston Area? If so what trails do you hit, we go to the Pass, run the old Hwy 82 to around Sabine and there are various trials around the house in Texas City, Pearland , etc and such but always looking for new LEGAL trails to ride on.

Still in the Houston Area? If so what trails do you hit, we go to the Pass, run the old Hwy 82 to around Sabine and there are various trials around the house in Texas City, Pearland , etc and such but always looking for new LEGAL trails to ride on.

We have not found any local trails - would love to hear about the trails you mentioned. Are the mainly mud/sand, any rocks or other obstacles?

We mainly do the Jeep Jamborees which are a blast. Just got back from Llano Jamboree which has really hard crawling - that is where the skid plate damage came from along with a torn up reciver hitch and rear stock bumper and dent front fender....

The trails we have been on like Hwy 82 are mud/sand trails, it is the old washed out part of 82 that runs along the coast so the scenery is nice. The Pass, or San Luis pass is a beach, it has some dunes and some trails through the salt grasses and the others are power line trails that are all mud. I don't know of any rocky place around where I am at.