Help with drag link length

Schwifty Rich

TJ Enthusiast
Ok while putting the front end back together after doing the u joints and ball joints I went to attach my drag link and the stud was turning with the nut.

Soo I needed to replace the drag link.. what I discovered was the PO installed a beefier one than stock and that meant I needed a new adjuster sleeve and tie rod end at the pitman arm. I’ve now replaced basically every part of my front end steering.

Shame on me for I did not count the rotations or measure the distance of the tie rod end or drag link so my question is...

HOW do I align/adjust or otherwise get the correct length from the passenger knuckle to the pitman arm?

Start adjusting. If the steering wheel gets worse, then adjust the other way. Get it close. Go for a short drive in a straight line. Adjust again. Keep doing this until you are happy with it.

An empty mall parking lot can be helpful.

Start adjusting. If the steering wheel gets worse, then adjust the other way. Get it close. Go for a short drive in a straight line. Adjust again. Keep doing this until you are happy with it.

An empty mall parking lot can be helpful.

Thanks jjvw, you’re the man.
1.button everything up
2. Do an alignment
3. Short drive
3a. If steering wheel gets worse ( Jeep begins to turn?) adjust sleeve one way.
3b. if that way made it worse go the other way
4. repeat step 3
5. Another alignment?

Lol Ninja edit!

Well I just got done with the first three last week, messing with the control arms pinion angle and track bar.

Since I haven’t touched them since then they should all be a ok right? It can’t very well have moved when I wasn’t looking.

So back to get it close, align toe in and test/adjust drag link?

You need to drive it and see where your steering wheel is when the jeep drives straight. Pull over or return home. Set the steering wheel to where it was when the jeep drove straight. Then adjust the draglink till the steering wheel is centered. This may take a few drives/adjustments but is easy.

You can’t mess this up.

Reactions: Schwifty Rich
I made an embarrassing mistake and screwed my Pitman-side Link End in too far before installing the drag link. Is it possible to remove the adjuster w/o removing the ball joints? In other words, can I turn the adjuster far enough, while installed, so that one of the links comes out?

I made an embarrassing mistake and screwed my Pitman-side Link End in too far before installing the drag link. Is it possible to remove the adjuster w/o removing the ball joints? In other words, can I turn the adjuster far enough, while installed, so that one of the links comes out?

Yes but it is also kind of difficult to get both ends started with it on the vehicle. Its possible but I think its easier off the jeep.

Reactions: Aloha Joe