Help with lower control arm bushings

AugustusMcCrae

2000 Jeep TJ with (what the previous owner claims) a 6” Rough country lift. The red polyurethane lower control arm bushings are shot. RC has been zero help and I cannot find replacement bushings. ‘3533’ is stamped on the bushings I removed.

F3B7EB4D-B4BF-41C3-AD54-5025EE58B39D.jpeg

05118ED4-0A2D-47E9-9501-193E76E8E273.jpeg

So several companies made arms like that. You will need to measure the eye and see if it is 1.5 or 1.75. This will help narrow it down. I would suggest replacing these arms as the poly bushings are prone to causing bracket failures.

Reactions: AugustusMcCrae
6in lift with factory Uppers? I didnt know that was possible. What was the reason you started taking the Arms off?

These 8 Moog replacement bushings will go on my jeep
20190115_135137.jpg

I'll stay with my 2.5" lift for now, which means i wont be needing different CAs so these bushings will be used on an as needed or PRN basis.. :)

Anyone up for a bushing install par tay, i dont think I can motivate myself unless other Jeep heads are around ... :)

Reactions: Brad W
These 8 Moog replacement bushings will go on my jeep
View attachment 72467
I'll stay with my 2.5" lift for now, which means i wont be needing different CAs so these bushings will be used on an as needed or PRN basis.. :)

Anyone up for a bushing install par tay, i dont think I can motivate myself unless other Jeep heads are around ... :)

Check out Harbor Freight. They have a hydraulic press for about $130 that will save a ton of time and cussing. Ball joint presses are great to have but that press will make easy work of this Job.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Check out Harbor Freight. They have a hydraulic press for about $130 that will save a ton of time and cussing. Ball joint presses are great to have but that press will make easy work of this Job.
Thanks for that suggestion @Brad W ... I certainly will.
My garage/shop needs a cool hydraulic press and I'm in to saving time for sure.
I've also heard that heating the old rubber till it starts to melt will make the bushing removal easier.. we'll see :)

Reactions: Brad W
Thanks for that suggestion @Brad W ... I certainly will.
My garage/shop needs a cool hydraulic press and I'm in to saving time for sure.

No Problem sir!
At that price its paid for itself the first job ive used it for. The axle bushings are the only PITA to replace.

I'm thinking I need to replace a bunch of control arm bushings too. I have 2.5" OME springs, Rancho Rock Crawler lower control arms. All 16 bushings are about $100. Upper CAs in the rear are new, adjustable. Fronts are old stock, probably need replacing.
Or I go with stock control arms, about $200.
Either way, the cost is about the same. Do I really benefit having the Rancho CAs?

Well a rigid control arm with factory bushings will not twist like an OEM one, so you will not get as much articulation with your old arms. I put on Rusty's arms on my wifes old TJ, I put factory arms back on because I kept blowing out bushings due to the lack of rotational flex.

Well a rigid control arm with factory bushings will not twist like an OEM one, so you will not get as much articulation with your old arms. I put on Rusty's arms on my wifes old TJ, I put factory arms back on because I kept blowing out bushings due to the lack of rotational flex.

That seems bizarre to me..... you actually get MORE articulation from stock CAs??

That seems bizarre to me..... you actually get MORE articulation from stock CAs??
The c-channel shape of the stock arms allows for some rotational flex. When you replace that with a solid fixed arm with poly bushings, no more rotational flex. That's what can lead to ripping off a control arm mount under certain extreme situations.

Reactions: KCsTJ and tworley