Help with manifold fastners

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
I am replacing the manifold gasket on my 2.5L.
I want to know if I have this right...

Pic 1 has my assortment of bolts with 3 different washers...
20190202_110950.jpg

The weird looking washers hold against both the intake/exhaust manifolds, correct?

The round washers hold against the exhaust manifold only, correct?

Are the flat lock washers used on both round and weird shaped washers? Or leave the lock washers off entirely?
20190202_120206.jpg

When I tighten the bolt against the 'weird' washer it doesn't sit flat against the manifolds. Is this Ok?

Those washers are not correct, see the link below for the correct 2.5 manifold washers.
The heavy cup washers should be used only on the common intake/exhaust bolts. Use standard SAE washers on the remaining bolts.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/omi...FYlUsndDlNoFzvFMXOQzYQ0K4SZ4GY9UaAiA2EALw_wcB
Ok I wondered about that. Thank you for the reply @TJ4Jim !
That is all I need to know.

I wonder whats with the goofy, weird looking washers? The p.o. had them doubled up on the 2 end bolts.

@TJ4Jim , do you think it would be a good idea to use a standard SAE lock washer along with the cup style washers, or are the cup style washers ok without a lock washer?
The OEM setup did not include lock washers but you could go either way.

I think the PO just found the heaviest washers he could and used them.

Reactions: KCsTJ
the heat cycles will make the lock washers inneffective..just torque the cup washers
Gotcha. That's great info @astjp2 ... will torque the cup washers.

If I have a couple extra cup washers, would it hurt to use 1 at each end of the exhaust manifold?

I've never seen a 4.0L motor oem new, does the factory use the cup washers on the 2 exhaust manifold end bolts too?