Help with P0441 Incorrect Purge Flow

Sulu

Anyone have any advice on what I should do next? 1997 TJ, 4.0, Manual

Transmission dropped and clutch replaced, CEL later that day, P0441

Got a new OEM gas cap from the dealership, reset CEL, CEL came back within 10 miles

Charcoal rocks found in old purge valve, New purge valve, CEL reset, CEL came back within 70miles

Leak test, old charcoal canister had hole in filter. New charcoal canister, CEL reset, CEL came back within 50 miles

Replaced purge valve again, thinking rocks from the old charcoal canister damaged the 1st replacement purge valve, CEL reset, CEL came back on within 110 miles

Here's the million dollar question: Are you replacing the purge valve with an OE Mopar unit?

If not, that is very likely your issue. These Jeeps are notorious for rejecting electronic replacement parts (i.e. sensors and such) unless they are OE Mopar. This is very well documented across this forum and the internet in general. No one seems to know why this is for sure, but it's definitely a thing.

Here's the million dollar question: Are you replacing the purge valve with an OE Mopar unit?

If not, that is very likely your issue. These Jeeps are notorious for rejecting electronic replacement parts (i.e. sensors and such) unless they are OE Mopar. This is very well documented across this forum and the internet in general. No one seems to know why this is for sure, but it's definitely a thing.

The purge valve replacement isn’t an OEM one, it’s by Dorman OE Solutions. I knew there were some fixes that were picky about OEM. Had the crank position sensor code and it only went away after I replaced it with an OEM part. The Dorman purge valve seemed to have good reviews, so I picked it up. I’ll stop by the dealership and grab an OEM one. Thanks

I have one shop that thinks it’s the Leak Detection Pump, but I thought that would give a different code?

The purge valve replacement isn’t an OEM one, it’s by Dorman OE Solutions. I knew there were some fixes that were picky about OEM. Had the crank position sensor code and it only went away after I replaced it with an OEM part. The Dorman purge valve seemed to have good reviews, so I picked it up. I’ll stop by the dealership and grab an OEM one. Thanks

I can't comment on the purge valve in regards to whether or not it is finicky like some sensors (such as O2 sensors) in terms of being an OE sensor. This was just something that had popped into my mind given all the other sensors I know have issues (O2 sensors, CPS, TPS, etc.).

I would try an OEM one. Do a very clean install, clear the code, and if it comes back, you can always put it back in the box and return it, as it should look like it was never installed. This is at least where I would start, just to rule it out.

I have one shop that thinks it’s the Leak Detection Pump, but I thought that would give a different code?

It could give a different code, but not necessarily, as that's not always the case. Is a leak detection pump cheap enough that you could replace it without dropping a lot of money? If so, that might be worth doing just to see.

@Sulu I had the exact problem 2 months ago with my 97.
I removed the canister and charcoal poured out where the vac hose connects.
Temporarily I have removed the canister and just bypassed it. I unplugged the battery to reset the code.
So far no code and it runs just fine. I'll have to fix it before the next inspection. :-|

Anyone have any advice on what I should do next? 1997 TJ, 4.0, Manual

Transmission dropped and clutch replaced, CEL later that day, P0441

Got a new OEM gas cap from the dealership, reset CEL, CEL came back within 10 miles

Charcoal rocks found in old purge valve, New purge valve, CEL reset, CEL came back within 70miles

Leak test, old charcoal canister had hole in filter. New charcoal canister, CEL reset, CEL came back within 50 miles

Replaced purge valve again, thinking rocks from the old charcoal canister damaged the 1st replacement purge valve, CEL reset, CEL came back on within 110 miles
I think whats is happening is this; a membrane or something has ruptured inside the canister, and now since the charcoal is not contained properly it gets sucked into the purge solenoid valve and throws a code. This is all mechanics conjecture as I have not yet, but plan to, cut open my canister to see for myself whats going on.
Replacing the purge solenoid won't work until the canister is replaced or repaired, imho.
I will do surgery on my canister once the summer heat goes and post results then.

I think whats is happening is this; a membrane or something has ruptured inside the canister, and now since the charcoal is not contained properly it gets sucked into the purge solenoid valve and throws a code. This is all mechanics conjecture as I have not yet, but plan to, cut open my canister to see for myself whats going on.
Replacing the purge solenoid won't work until the canister is replaced or repaired, imho.
I will do surgery on my canister once the summer heat goes and post results then.
Yeah, once they leak and pressure tested my EVAP system, charcoal went flying everywhere out of the canister. I had found little pieces in the original purge valve too. We replaced the charcoal canister, and then the purge valve. Light came back on. Just ordered a Mopar purge valve. A lot of people seem to think the aftermarket one just isn’t working right, including the shop that did the leak test.

Reactions: KCsTJ
You should be ok with the Mopar purge solenoid, especially since you replaced the canister.
That aftermarket one probably wont cut it. Mine lasted long enough to get me through an inspection, luckily.
Mine was not Mopar so I expect I will be getting a Mopar purge valve soon as well.

You should be ok with the Mopar purge solenoid, especially since you replaced the canister.
That aftermarket one probably wont cut it. Mine lasted long enough to get me through an inspection, luckily.
Mine was not Mopar so I expect I will be getting a Mopar purge valve soon as well.
Good to know, didn’t know people were having problems with the aftermarket purge valves. Mopar will go on tomorrow

Update, it’s been about 500 mile and the CEL went out on it’s own and has stayed off since replacing the aftermarket purge valve with an OEM Mopar purge valve.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
Update, it’s been about 500 mile and the CEL went out on it’s own and has stayed off since replacing the aftermarket purge valve with an OEM Mopar purge valve.

That's awesome news! Thanks for the update on this!