Help with rattling

Angel97

Theres a rattling that occurs while in 1st and second gear accelerating, 1997 jeep TJ 4in lift with 33in tires. Can someone help. Just got this jeep.

Mam, that can be a lot of things...just for starters make sure your spare tire is not loose or you don't have a spare tire carrier that's banging around.

I would put the back axles on jack stands and get someone to run the engine while I walked around it.

I'm being pretty broad because we're starting from scratch here but it could be something like your catalytic converter

It could be a loose exhaust

Feel free to post a video and we will help you any way we can.

Reactions: Thunderhead
As he said, the location and problem could be anywhere. Is your tire Jack tight under the pass seat? Radio or speaker have a loose screw? Does it rattle only during acceleration or if you are coasting in 2nd is it still there? Motor mount, trans mount, soleplate, exhaust, the list is endless. Do as he suggests. Rear axle on jackstands. Have the wife ride with you to help pinpoint the sound.

Theres no jack or spare tire or anything. It happens as you accelerate from first to second the entire jeep rattles. And I am a female and it's my jeep. Gonna try the rear axle then see

Could be motor mounts, tran mount, loose skidplate, exhaust hitting something. Does it rattle if you are in neutral and give it some gas?

Have a couple friends sitting front and rear help you narrow down the actual location of the rattle. Sound easily travels through metal. A noise heard by the driver may well be coming from a completely different location than what is supposed. Spectators listening to a recording can only guess. Side note: Old Jeeps are noisy buggers almost all the time.