Help with starting jeep after having it in neutral

04LJ

hi all. Any advice on starting up the jeep after I worked on it. I changed the rear u joints. That’s all. I had it up on jack stands and in neutral. I had to cycle the tires a bit. When I go to start it, it has zero turn over. The dash lights come on and everything but no crank. Zero. It happened yesterday as well. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it turned over. Any ideas. I’m fairly new to diy jeep work. Thanks

Try slowly moving your shifter between Park & Neutral while you hold the ignition switch in the Start position and see what happens.
Tried it for a bit. Nothing FYI the check engine light does flash a few times but goes back to solid when I turn the key 3-5 times

The usual suspects for that could be the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) on the transmission or the Ignition Switch Actuator mounted on the back of the ignition switch key cylinder. Kinda leaning more toward the Ignition Switch Actuator as that part fails far more commonly than the NSS and it causes that exact same problem.

This doo-dad... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QGH8NU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Though I'd sure give everything in the areas you worked on some scrutiny as it's possible (likely) the cause of your problem is related to your most recent job done on the Jeep... though changing u-joints doesn't normally cause this kind of problem.

Battery in good shape? So it stopped starting again after it started up after you disconnected/reinstalled the battery connectors?

Reactions: 04LJ
The usual suspects for that could be the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) on the transmission or the Ignition Switch Actuator mounted on the back of the ignition switch key cylinder. Kinda leaning more toward the Ignition Switch Actuator as that part fails far more commonly than the NSS and it causes that exact same problem.

Though I'd sure give everything in the areas you worked on some scrutiny as it's possible (likely) the cause of your problem is related to your most recent job done on the Jeep... though changing u-joints doesn't normally cause this kind of problem.

Battery in good shape? So it stopped starting again after it started up after you disconnected/reinstalled the battery connectors?
Battery is good. Yesterday I put on an oil pan skid. Had the Jeep up on front stands and rear stands in neutral. I looked at the unit bearings and front joints. I then jacked up the rear to check the rear shaft joints. When I lowered it, it did not start. However, I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it and it started right up. Today, no such luck.

anyone have a pic or a way to show where there neutral starting switch is on 04 with auto? thanks

Thanks Jerry for the help. Retraced my steps and we found it to be a broken negative wire that goes to the selonoid. I must have knocked it or something when I put on the oil pan skid. Sometimes it’s the littlest thing that goes....lesson learned

Reactions: Jerry Bransford