Help with Swayloc

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
Removed my A/R and started installing a new Swayloc.
I have a couple of questions for those in the know. On the passenger side it is not clear in the instructions which way the inner bar is be installed. Should it be installed as I have it in my picture or should it be flipped over to get the two parts closer together. Second question is at what angle should the bars be at when installing the links ? And which hole are you using to connect to ? on my A/R I was connected to the second from the rear hole.

Thanks for your help

IMG_1065.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

I can't answer any technical questions as mrblaine did the install but here are some related pics.
Should it be installed as I have it in my picture or should it be flipped over to get the two parts closer together.
20230605_202402.jpg

Second question is at what angle should the bars be at when installing the links ?
20230605_202650.jpg

And which hole are you using to connect to ? on my A/R I was connected to the second from the rear hole.
20230605_202818.jpg

Reactions: MichaelGH
Yep you’ve got that on backwards. The loosest hole is plenty tight for on road.

I'll have to go look at mine in the morning, but I think you need to flip the inner.

There should be a gap about the width of a dime between the arms at their closest point and they should be level to the ground or close to it. Mine are slightly above. My discos were set at 12° and I think I've got the swayloc at 6-8°. It was in the furthest hole toward the cab and that's where I left it. Haven't tried any other setting as I've been pleased with this setup on road thus far.

20230605_203337.jpg

20230605_204033.jpg

20230605_204020.jpg

20230605_203316.jpg

There should be a gap about the width of a dime between the arms at their closest point and they should be level to the ground or close to it. Mine are slightly above. My discos were set at 12° and I think I've got the swayloc at 6-8°. It was in the furthest hole toward the cab and that's where I left it. Haven't tried any other setting as I've been pleased with this setup on road thus far.

View attachment 430340

View attachment 430341

View attachment 430342

View attachment 430343

In your third picture yours look like mine which others are saying is not correct.

In your third picture yours look like mine which others are saying is not correct.

Pics from the instructions show the arm with the key notch on the inside.

Step 9 also notes to place the key latching arm next to the inner arm, so the arm will the latch (manual version) goes on the outside.
20230605_205400.jpg

20230605_205423.jpg

20230605_205840.jpg

Reactions: Wildman
20230605_202402.jpg

@ LJ If you look at your picture above it appears that this plate is mounted more to the left where as @ DaveC below looks to be mounted more to the right

20230605_204020.jpg

@Plumber1

LJ’s is setup correctly. You want to orient the inner closer to the outer rather than farther away. Smaller gap orientation. Note the location of the latch relative to each inner on the pics above. It’s centered on @L J and not in @Dave C. Also @L J looks like the instruction pics, as does mine.

image.jpg

Set the arms level. Choose the hole you want. Loosest is the back, tightest is the front, just like the AR you already know. Drive it and change as desired.

Last edited:
20230606_012306.jpg

@ LJ If you look at your picture above it appears that this plate is mounted more to the left where as @ DaveC below looks to be mounted more to the right
20230606_012616.jpg
If anybody would know it'd be the guy who designed it, mrblaine. As a casual observer, I would think the centered engagement of the lock is preferable to the edge engagement of the lock. The instructions show the same orientation as my pic:
20230606_011758.png

20230606_011736.png

20230606_011655.jpg

Last edited:
There are posts about this exact point somewhere on the forum where Blaine explained the proper orientation. I just can’t find them. May be buried in a build thread.

There are posts about this exact point somewhere on the forum where Blaine explained the proper orientation. I just can’t find them. May be buried in a build thread.

He specifically called me out for the same issue after I posted a picture. Can't remember the thread though.

Reactions: JMT
@Plumber1

LJ’s is setup correctly. You want to orient the inner closer to the outer rather than farther away. Smaller gap orientation. Note the location of the latch relative to each inner on the pics above. It’s centered on @L J and not in @Dave C. Also @L J looks like the instruction pics, as does mine.

View attachment 430362

Set the arms level. Choose the hole you want. Loosest is the back, tightest is the front, just like the AR you already know. Drive it and change as desired.

Good catch and thanks for pointing this out. I need to flip the inner arm so the latch/notch is properly centered.