TJ has a hiccup and stutter

Cory Smith

I am hoping someone has had a similar issue as me.

I have a 2005 TJ 4.0 IL6 Manual.

At random times, RPMs and Gears, my Jeep does what I would call a "hicup" and seems to studder for a half a second. No check engine light and no codes are thrown.
If I am in lower RPMS and gears and I press the clutch in I can save it from stalling. If I don't press the clutch in, in lower RPMs and gears, it bogs down and eventually dies. Also, sometimes after it bogs down, it is a very rough start not starting again for 5 minutes or so.
In higher RPMs and gears, it will "hicup" for a split second but pick right back up like nothing happened...

This issue has gone on since this September. Sometimes it goes days without an issue. Sometimes it happens 10 times in one trip...

I have yet to see any sort of pattern.

I have taken it to 2 different places both of which have not found any issues.
Fuel compression was checked and grounds have been checked with no issues.

Someone mentioned fuel pump/filter assembly and also a possible chip reciever for my key. (The key is an aftermarket key that came with the jeep).

Can anyone shed some light on this issue please!!!

You would think fuel pump assembly would've shown up in the fuel pressure test.. If it was bleeding off pressure, etc. Throttle position sensor maybe? I had a similar issue, except mine wouldn't die... Just the hiccup from time to time. I ended up replacing the TPS before checking fuel pump (mine was losing pressure after sitting a bit).... Anyway no problems since

Thanks I will check in to that.
You would think fuel pump assembly would've shown up in the fuel pressure test.. If it was bleeding off pressure, etc. Throttle position sensor maybe? I had a similar issue, except mine wouldn't die... Just the hiccup from time to time. I ended up replacing the TPS before checking fuel pump (mine was losing pressure after sitting a bit).... Anyway no problems since

I am hoping someone has had a similar issue as me.

I have a 2005 TJ 4.0 IL6 Manual.

At random times, RPMs and Gears, my Jeep does what I would call a "hicup" and seems to studder for a half a second. No check engine light and no codes are thrown.
If I am in lower RPMS and gears and I press the clutch in I can save it from stalling. If I don't press the clutch in, in lower RPMs and gears, it bogs down and eventually dies. Also, sometimes after it bogs down, it is a very rough start not starting again for 5 minutes or so.
In higher RPMs and gears, it will "hicup" for a split second but pick right back up like nothing happened...

This issue has gone on since this September. Sometimes it goes days without an issue. Sometimes it happens 10 times in one trip...

I have yet to see any sort of pattern.

I have taken it to 2 different places both of which have not found any issues.
Fuel compression was checked and grounds have been checked with no issues.

Someone mentioned fuel pump/filter assembly and also a possible chip reciever for my key. (The key is an aftermarket key that came with the jeep).

Can anyone shed some light on this issue please!!!
I am having a similar issue. Pressure is ok at the rail, and not seeing any arcing with the plugs. I am going to pull the down stream o2 sensor to look at the tip, maybe a bad cat?

I am having a similar issue. Pressure is ok at the rail, and not seeing any arcing with the plugs. I am going to pull the down stream o2 sensor to look at the tip, maybe a bad cat?

Could very well be bad cats. Usually they throw codes (have you scanned it for codes?), but not always. Mine didn't throw any codes when they went bad.

O2 sensors should be replaced every 80k miles as general maintenance, regardless of whether they are throwing codes or not. Your TJ will run better with new O2 sensors, period.

I have been fighting this hiccup and stutter for several months now. A friend recommended changing the distributor cap and rotor button and that stopped it for about a month. Now it is back. I am going to try replacing the TSP and O2 sensors. After reading several notes on the forum, I want to go with the Mopar replacements.

Does anyone have the Mopar part numbers for the TPS and both O2 sensors? I have looked them up and am getting conflicting info from different websites.

Mopar 68433984AA is what I found for the TSP but I found some websites showing that is not correct. Rock Auto has this one listed: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mopar,68433984AA,throttle+position+sensor+(tps),5136

234-4076 & 234-4078 are the numbers I found for the O2 sensors; however, I cannot find these for Mopar items. I have found a ton of "replacements" but not anything listed as "Mopar".

It is as though the replacement part distributors want to confuse the issue to make it difficult to find the Mopar numbers. :)

I've gone through this twice now on my TJ. Last year I replaced both the Crank and Cam position sensors and it cleared up. This year I am still in process of confirmation - however I swapped spark plugs and O2 sensors and a quick drive this morning on a loop I was reliably getting the issue on and no sign of a problem 🤞🤞.

As another data point, here's the thread I am working through in on:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/intermittent-stalling-help.26320/#post-424962

No codes, and only has problems while I am moving. I hate to start changing parts, but she could use a little updating I suppose!