Here's hoping the Bronco puts pressure on Jeep

BoldlyGoing

TJ Addict
So I've been traveling a bunch and as such I've been having to rent vehicles.

Week 1 I had a Dodge Ram. It was pretty nice for a truck. Comfortable, rode well, and had a bunch of creature comforts that actually lead me to just price them out. Not terrible in terms of price. This was my baseline for "Modern" vehicles. I haven't driven anything but my LJ or my old TJ in a decade.

The following week I end up in a Cherokee. This thing was hot garbage. The road noise was at least as bad as my LJ. The interior was poorly designed and uncomfortable. No matter how I adjusted the seat, I couldn't make it feel good. Then it starts doing this thing where it would randomly sound the horn once and the hazard lights would come on and couldn't be turned off. Turns out this is a common glitch.

The next week, I had a Compass. Oddly enough, for being a "step down" from the Cherokee, was actually quieter inside and didn't have the electrical issue. But still, just terrible inside.

This week, I get to the rental lot and they have a Gladiator and a JLU. I've been interested in the Gladiator since I generally use my LJ as a mini pickup.

I get in and immediately notice that this thing doesn't have CarPlay. Even the shitty Compass had that.

Then I try to adjust the seat- I can't figure out how to adjust the seat back. There's a knob- that adjusts the lumbar support. There's a lever- this thing just pumps the seat up and down like a barber chair. And... nothing. I can't figure out how to make the seat recline. I poke around and eventually find a little strap- like a backpack strap. This? This is the adjustment method? WTF?

The truck drives ok. I was happy with how the transmission did it's job getting the power down. But it had a noticeable pull to the right. I'd expect that on a rental, except that this thing had 38 miles on it when I got in!

So I get to my job site and I'm looking at this thing. Putting aside for a moment that it looks ridiculous with the dinky little tires, I can't help but notice that behind the rear wheel, there is a trim piece on the bottom, yet under the passenger cabin, where a rock slider should be is... nothing. There is just an exposed edge of sheet metal with a handful of holes.

I get it- the higher tier trims have rails mounted there, but at a BARE MINIMUM it seems like there ought to have been a little trim piece or something to make it look finished!

So I had some spare time and the rental company left the toolkit in the glovebox, so naturally I started playing around- took the panels off the top. I do like that feature.

Folded the windshield down. Neat party trick, but really, why? Why spend time engineering that and ignoring the issues above!

I look at the press photos of the Bronco and whatever you think of the aesthetics, at least it looks like a finished design.

Anyway, it feels like Jeep has rested on its laurels for too long. Here's hoping the Bronco forces them to grow up.

Another forum I’m on, not jeeps, has set up a Jeep crybaby thread because of the Bronco.
Haha - as in Jeep owners crying over their lack of features?

If so, unless the Bronco turns out to be a turd, I think there will be plenty.

I'm actually pretty amazed at how little I would want one of these new jeeps.

Until today I was seriously considering buying a Gladiator for a Daily Driver, but seeing what I'd have to spend to get in to what I'd consider an "acceptable" trim level, I'm out.

Until today I was seriously considering buying a Gladiator for a Daily Driver, but seeing what I'd have to spend to get in to what I'd consider an "acceptable" trim level, I'm out.
I’d like to build a newer 4 door for the GF to drive. Keep the LJ though. Maybe Bronco pressure will help me buy low.

The JL will be forced to be something entirely different now which is a blessing. 2018-2020 model JLs will be remembered as the mistake years and won’t be worth much. I look for them to introduce a new twin turbo v6 to compete with bronco and change some style cues. They have a ton to fix tho and I’m sure it won’t happen over night. I don’t think they saw this beast coming lol

• Face Palm
Reactions: L J
The JL will be forced to be something entirely different now which is a blessing. 2018-2020 model JLs will be remembered as the mistake years and won’t be worth much. I look for them to introduce a new twin turbo v6 to compete with bronco and change some style cues. They have a ton to fix tho and I’m sure it won’t happen over night. I don’t think they saw this beast coming lol

In addition to the motor, Jeep needs to spend some time on the Interiors. Look at the JL / Gladiator vs the Bronco.

The fact that CarPlay compatibility isn't standard in 2020 is crazy. I had to stop and pick up a phone mount since the screen doesn't show Nav. Come on.

Upholstery too- no option for an easy-to-clean material is crazy. Cloth has no place in a vehicle that doesn't have on-board storage for the doors is a pretty wild oversight, especially since the Bronco has both a vinyl option AND an on board storage option.

I played around folding the windshield and was about to pull the doors till I noticed that the stops also have to be disconnected. Sure it's just one more
Bolt, but I wonder how much of a pain it will be to reconnect them?

I have this Jeep for 2 weeks, so plenty of time to play around.

Reactions: Starrs
Folded the windshield down. Neat party trick, but really, why? Why spend time engineering that
yep ^^^^ well said
Competition should make a huge difference.
I hope Jeep has lockers on every model before the first Bronco is delivered.
And factory 35s on a JL/JLU/JT.... should be childs play.

I kind of like the granny low 7speed over Jeeps pick which transfer case you want and compromise. I doubt Jeep will ever address that issue but lockers and 35s are almost parts bin options.

Given the JK/JL are 5" wider than the TJ and the Bronco is 5" wider yet.... I'll keep my TJR. But I think Ford will sell every Bronco they can make. Will it hurt Wrangler sales? Maybe but I think the 4 door Bronco will steal more F150/K1500/W1500 sales the Wrangler sales. And maybe make a dent in the FourRunner and Land Cruiser market too. Sure they will steal some JL/JLU sales but I don't see doom and gloom.

Yes the Bronco is cool but ....
It has independent front suspension.
It has rack and pinion steering.
It has an electric transfer case shifter.
It does not yet have much aftermarket support.
It is not proven, the Wrangler is definitely a sure thing far from civilization.

Last edited:
It is very unlikely that the Bronco is going to "force" Jeep to do anything that would interest me - the 7 speed transmission with granny low would be a happy exception though.

2018-2020 model JLs will be remembered as the mistake years and won’t be worth much.
Yep, for how many years did Jeep tease us with the new Wrangler..... and Ford came thru in a few months from the first press leak to here it is. But that said Bronco is literally a carbon copy of the Wrangler. The big difference is a la carte options rather than "will that be a Rubi or a Sport".

Last edited:
Yep, for how many years did Jeep tease us with the new Wrangler..... and Ford came thru in a few months from the first press leak to here it is. But that said Bronco is literally a carbon copy of the Wrangler. The big difference is a la carte options rather than "will that be a Rubi or a Sport".
Ford actually confirmed the bronco as a production car in 2017 at the north american international carshow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...mp32196/new-ford-bronco-official-photos-info/

Here's the story -

Jeep struggles under AMC and AMC folds , Jeep is circling the drain and can't meet coming emissions standards.

Lee Iococca pays 600 million for Jeep

The YJ is an attempt to make the original open air utility jeep more refined, and was a step in the right direction (generally)

The real step in the right direction was the Cherokee. Huge.

The TJ comes along and it really puts the classic Jeep back on the map, and it does very well, nearly a million units sell, the TJ Unlimited version is a test of better passenger and cargo space...but is hard to access and sells dismally as the TJ Era winds down.

The 4 door comes to market.
Fireworks , applause and cheers- history is made. Out of the park success.....even with the Caravan engine, this design literally does for Jeep what Harley Davidson did with it's line ...draws a new crowd with deeper pockets. And they came in droves.

Now , 12 years later , it has evolved into a vehicle that is in a weird place....refined, underpowered, almost too nice to enjoy off road, and too expensive to beat on. (Not to say that they aren't wheeled, they are). Leather seats, power windows and good highway manners.

Still, the Wrangler has a cult following...and this is where we are-

The JL sits at the point FCA is going to rethink some things, and the Bronco is just a very present reminder they need to quit riding on past success and revamp the line.

Here is what you are likely to see- Some bigger engine options and powertrain options and, possibly, some bare bones "ready to build" type packages , aimed at the dedicated off road crowd.

The pressure is real, but the beauty of FCA's position is they have an incredibly good selling platform, and all they need is a couple of better engines and some model variety to stay top dog.

The Bronco is going to be interesting, it's almost a novelty, at the same time, Ford is pretty stinking good these days, and it may prove to be a bigger hit than we all may anticipate.

Here's the question-

What type buyer will it attract?

This will tell us a lot.

Now , 12 years later , it has evolved into a vehicle that is in a weird place....refined, underpowered, almost too nice to enjoy off road, and too expensive to beat on. (Not to say that they aren't wheeled, they are). Leather seats, power windows and good highway manners.

Very well put. Certainly agree with this and more.

I hate to say it but I was onboard with the new Bronco till I saw these pics. If this is it, give me a JL anyday.

2021-Ford-Bronco-SUV-4-door-2-1.jpg

Glad you have notice the details and is not even funny. Well said.
I am one of them that was amazed (in a bad way) how the new jeeps turned out to be.
That is why I will not buy a JL or a JT. I am a selfish cry baby and that's a good thing for me.

Reactions: Zorba
Wasn’t this the same hype when Toyo revived the FJ40 as well? Don’t get me wrong, the 2 door Bronco is pretty cool. I agreed with Andy G, love to see Jeep uncouple the “Rubicon” option into a package and offer a more stripped down version for the market. How about some manual crank windows again too eh?!? Less pigtails to disconnect when removing the doors.

Reactions: DWR
Wasn’t this the same hype when Toyo revived the FJ40 as well? Don’t get me wrong, the 2 door Bronco is pretty cool. I agreed with Andy G, love to see Jeep uncouple the “Rubicon” option into a package and offer a more stripped down version for the market. How about some manual crank windows again too eh?!? Less pigtails to disconnect when removing the doors.
Jeep still does have the manual windows...

... for now. I would be shocked - SHOCKED I SAY! - if Jeep keeps them long term or "offers a more stripped down version". That isn't how the game is played in our luxury loving market. {insert rant about touchscreens and smartphones here}

And the doors not weighing the amount of an average American...

• Haha
Reactions: JeepZilla380
A Bronco isn't a Jeep and never will be. After driving my brother's lifted 4 door JK, I will stick to the much more maneuverable TJ. If I wanted all the bells and whistles, I'd buy a Escalade and lift it. People are getting softer than Joe Biden's brain. :rolleyes:
Lol, JK is not the real Jeep that you and I are used to. And so, I am glad there is a Bronco so the FCA will compete.