Here's hoping the Bronco puts pressure on Jeep

Wasn’t this the same hype when Toyo revived the FJ40 as well? Don’t get me wrong, the 2 door Bronco is pretty cool. I agreed with Andy G, love to see Jeep uncouple the “Rubicon” option into a package and offer a more stripped down version for the market. How about some manual crank windows again too eh?!? Less pigtails to disconnect when removing the doors.
If only the Toyota FJ40 had a topless-doorless option, I bet the Jeep lost the edge long before the Bronco showed up.

My wife's Honda Oddysey minivan has twice the road noise as my Toyota Highlander. The leather seats were comparable. My infotainment center was touchscreen but hers has more refined software. We both had 3rd row seats, but she still has cargo space. You know the difference between my comparison and yours? I actually drove both cars. Maybe we should wait until the Bronco comes out, rent one and drive it, compare prices with similar options, blah, blah, blah before doing reviews about which is better.

What's Carplay? Is that the new On-star? When I rent a car, the first thing I do now is skim the manual on how to turn off all the lane and brake assist options, find the aux input, plug my phone in and turn on my own music.

The Bronco is going to compete with not only the Jeep but with Honda and Toyota minivans, and every SUV on the market. It would not surprise me to see Toyota revamp and re-release the FJ cruiser since they look so similar to the Bronco when you drive by the car lot. It would be a perfect opportunity for them to piggyback the FJ with some minor cosmetic changes like doors that come off and a removable hard top, leave it as is for off road capability, and try to undercut the Bronco on price. I could see others in that market like Toyota, Chevy, Honda, Tesla 🤭 bringing competition as the Bronco cuts into mid and full sized SUV market. Ford may find the Bronco cutting into their own Expedition sales.

The Jeep won't get cheaper or add more off road options to stripped down vehicles. Everything you find on the lot will have more option packages and cost more money as they race to create more powerful sports/luxury off road cars. Like this thread shows, the electronic infotainment center wasn't good enough, the interior trim wasn't good enough, the options not good enough. Those and power train upgrades will be fixed with money and increase the price.

Jeep and Ford aren't really targeting the off road crowds because that market is way too small. They're targeting the SUV crowd that's buying the thought of being in the off road crowd. They even highlight their pick a terrain computerized drive setup to help people who have never driven off road before. It's good marketing and why the Jeeps and Broncos and whatever comes next keep getting bigger and bigger, with more and more computerized driving assistance. To act more as an on-road full sized SUV a dad will get on board buying for the family car. Beats driving a minivan.

Last edited:
I think it’ll go like this.

Customer: The bronco rides so much better

Jeep: get rid of that damn SFA

Aftermarket: you need a SFA conversion on that wrangler

Sadly... you’re probably right. I also bet they make a more mall crawler/soccer mom version like they did with the bronco.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
I think it’ll go like this.

Customer: The bronco rides so much better

Jeep: get rid of that damn SFA

Aftermarket: you need a SFA conversion on that wrangler

I'm sure the SFA option will only come with the Top of the line UBER RUBICON EDITION with the v8 at a family friendly $85k.

Reactions: Apparition
A Bronco isn't a Jeep and never will be. After driving my brother's lifted 4 door JK, I will stick to the much more maneuverable TJ. If I wanted all the bells and whistles, I'd buy a Escalade and lift it. People are getting softer than Joe Biden's brain. :rolleyes:
The word you're looking for here is "effete". A pet peeve and something I've observed for some years now. People mewling about how they can't live without "keyless start" (that never made any sense whatsoever to me), cell phone connectivity and other meaningless crap. I don't get it, and like Chris, I resent the fact that this junk is now forced onto the consumer whether they want it or not.

The Jeep won't get cheaper or add more off road options to stripped down vehicles. Everything you find on the lot will have more option packages and cost more money as they race to create more powerful sports/luxury off road cars. Like this thread shows, the electronic infotainment center wasn't good enough, the interior trim wasn't good enough, the options not good enough. Those and power train upgrades will be fixed with money and increase the price.
WORD. And a word to go with it: Effete.

I had to Google that one. My vocabulary consists mainly of 4 letter words, but I might expand to 7 if I decide to buy a new Bronco with remote start, seat warmers and coolers, hair fluffer, and Hillary was my fallen hero bumper sticker. I hope they have a Joe Biden memory key ignition feature.

Jeep ASSHOLE plate.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Zorba and L J

Or, you know, convenient.

I get it- plenty of people just want to drive back and forth to the same building every day listening to the 80's top 40 for the thirtieth decade. Or tune in to their local AM station to hear Hannity "own the libs". These are the same people that leave the ringer turned on on their flip phone and still pay for AOL.

On the other hand there are "effete" people like yours truly that get the privilege of going to new muddy holes every couple weeks in the middle of nowhere. Terrestrial radio is dead, so we consume our media via podcasts and streaming services. Linking all that to a system integrated in the vehicle, especially considering the draconian laws around holding said device while driving is just the bare minimum.

We probably agree on the various driver aides like lane keeping and back up cameras useless and distracting- but don't blame the automakers for that- blame your government.

As it stands, I've got mounts for a phone and an iPad in my LJ and an aftermarket head unit to manage them. But if I were buying a new vehicle, lack of what is at this point basic connectivity is a deal breaker.

So I guess I'll have to figure out where to trade my boots, jeans and hard hat for a dress. Glad I've got this dainty little hand computer to aid the search...

Careful now. I've been known to wear a dress myself on more than one occasion, and have even been accused of effeminacy being that I'm a Belly Dancer and all. But *NEVER* effete! :D

But you can keep vehicle "convenience" - another word for "useless luxury". As for onboard music, I keep mine on a $3 "geek stick", I don't need a $1,000 iPhone nor do I need to pay a monthly subscription fee. Terrestrial radio still works fine for that matter, but I like having control of my own playlists.

Careful now. I've been known to wear a dress myself on more than one occasion, and have even been accused of effeminacy being that I'm a Belly Dancer and all. But *NEVER* effete! :D

But you can keep vehicle "convenience" - another word for "useless luxury". As for onboard music, I keep mine on a $3 "geek stick", I don't need a $1,000 iPhone nor do I need to pay a monthly subscription fee. Terrestrial radio still works fine for that matter, but I like having control of my own playlists.
I have the only Jeep decal that matters to me. That and my license plate explain everything people need to know about me.
Watch.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting

At some point, needlessly using outdated tech is an affectation, a luxury in itself.

If I called my boss from a pay phone at a general store where I stopped to buy a map and ask for directions, the first words out of his mouth would be "Why don't you use the GPS and call me from the truck you dumbass! Quit fooling around. We have work to do!"

These things are tools. Not really any different from using a ratchet wrench when an open ended wrench would work just as well.

Just like owning a ratchet wrench is useless to a guy that doesn't fix anything, Device connectivity is useless if you don't use a device.

I suppose that I'll allow its silly to spend the cash on a smartphone, but then, I haven't had a phone that wasn't provided by my employer in over a decade.

Using a flash drive is very quaint. I'd love to know how you use that in a 2 knob stereo.

That's because you make ASS-umptions about what tech I *do* use. First off, I don't have a 2 knob stereo...

And again, why would I use a $1,000 "device" - plus its $80+/mo maintenance fee, when a $3 geek stick will do the job - and actually do it better for my use? And yes, I have a GPS - that cost less than ONE MONTH of the maintenance fees on that overpriced smartphone and has no monthly fee associated with it.

I have zero problems with tech that A) doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, and B) has a tangible benefit. The smartphone in particular meets neither - its a mediocre phone and a HORRIBLE computer, never mind its OBSCENE expense. I worked my entire career in the computational field, designing, building, programming, and using them since long before most people had ever seen one - and "the smartphone ain't it". Another technological device that I have and love is my Kindle - it cost about the same as one month's subscription to a smartphone, and is FAR better at what it does than anything else ever will be.

Last edited:
That's because you make ASS-umptions about what tech I *do* use. First off, I don't have a 2 knob stereo...

And again, why would I use a $1,000 "device" - plus its $80+/mo maintenance fee, when a $3 geek stick will do the job - and actually do it better for my use? And yes, I have a GPS - that cost less than ONE MONTH of the maintenance fees on that overpriced smartphone and has no monthly fee associated with it.

I have zero problems with tech that A) doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, and B) has a tangible benefit. The smartphone in particular meets neither - its a mediocre phone and a HORRIBLE computer, never mind its OBSCENE expense. I worked my entire career in the computational field, designing, building, programming, and using them since long before most people had ever seen one - and "the smartphone ain't it". Another technological device that I have and love is my Kindle - cost about the same as one month's subscription to a smartphone, and is FAR better at what it does than anything else ever will be.
I see a pattern. I have deduced that testosterone left the tech scene around the time Bush Jr. left the Oval Office.