Hey Everybody!

monkeygrip

Hello from SC. I'm enjoying reading your posts. I'm in the market for a Jeep and I'm learning a lot. I've been looking at a lot of Jeeps within about a hundred miles of my home. I've found a 2006 X that passes all of my tests but it's a little bit pricier than I want. If the guy comes down a little more and doesn't sell it by the weekend I may be owning it.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you end up finding a TJ. They truly are a blast to own!

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.15.12 PM.png

That picture is the one I'm looking at. It's not original paint, but I can't find any bondo. It has a couple of flaws in the paint. But the undercarriage is clean and that makes me like it. It's from NC. They wanted 13, says he'll take 11, I'm at 10. Is it worth it? I already want to fix paint, change tires, and maybe new top with tint. What do y'all think?

I'd have to see a lot more high resolution photos in order to give you my opinion as to whether to not I think it's worth the money.

When you say it has a couple of flaws in the paint, do you mean light scratches, or rust bubbles under the paint?

No rust bubbles. A fender has some paint flaked off and there are scratches. There's nothing major to run from but 10 grand for a 12 year old vehicle with 120k miles is a lot.

I think 13k might be a bit much. I would say 11k is fair if the frame is as clean as you say it is. Still, I'd offer $10,500 and I'll bet they would take it!

It's the first one I've seen without rust. Should I be more patient? I'd rather have hard top. I'd rather have a sport. But I also like this one without the rusted out bottom.

Rust is the biggest factor to look for when buying a used Wrangler, hands down.

That being said, it's hard to find non-rusted TJs unless you live on the West Coast or Southwest (or if you're willing to travel to pick one up). For some of us, it has taken up to a year or more to find a clean, rust free TJ.

If this one is rust free, I wouldn't feel bad about buying it for 10.5k. You could wait and see what else is out there. You may find a rust free one with lower miles and better paint, but it will understandably be more expensive.

Reactions: monkeygrip
I'm going out on a limb and predict garnet for a new color.
I do like garnet better than red but I'd keep it the original color. It's over an hour drive from my home but if it's still there this weekend I'm going to go over it some more and if he will drop to that 10,500 I may bring it home.