Hey everyone

Semper_Fi13

Hey everyone new to the site. I live in Southeast Georgia and have a 2004 TJ RME. I’ve had it for about six months and put a 2 1/2 inch lift on it I am in the process of swapping out the NV 3550 for a Novak AX 15. Put some new headlights in it, extended sway bar linkage in the front, extend the track more in the rear, and brand new wildpeak at3 tires on her.

Reactions: Chris
Yes from everything I read seems like the Synco Goes out in these transmissions frequently. I purchase mine change the fluid and within about two months my second gear started going out. Tried to find rebuild kits and also quotes from transmission shop. I couldn’t find a shop within 2 hours of me that would work on it. I found out that the parts kits are junk. I called some shops on line and they all stated that the AX-15 was the way to go. Start doing a lot of research and found that this is a very very common issue. So All the research I did showed that everyone was going back to AX-15. Seems to be a tried and true transmission. And if you look the the NV 3550 was only put in the Jeep for four years and then they got rid of it.

Yes from everything I read seems like the Synco Goes out in these transmissions frequently. I purchase mine change the fluid and within about two months my second gear started going out. Tried to find rebuild kits and also quotes from transmission shop. I couldn’t find a shop within 2 hours of me that would work on it. I found out that the parts kits are junk. I called some shops on line and they all stated that the AX-15 was the way to go. Start doing a lot of research and found that this is a very very common issue. So All the research I did showed that everyone was going back to AX-15. Seems to be a tried and true transmission. And if you look the the NV 3550 was only put in the Jeep for four years and then they got rid of it.

Indeed. I have come across various threads here mentioning that should the NV fails, AX-15 is the way to go as is still has strong aftermarket support. I just didn't know how serious your issue was with the NV and decided to do a swap.

So I am going with the AX15 because trying to shift into second is almost impossible without grinding, and now it’s starting to be hit or miss in first. I ended up going with a brand new Novak AX-15. It comes turn key ready to go, besides you need to make a jumper connection for the reverse lights and will have to bend the shifter about 1 1/2 inches so you don’t hit the dash. I will be putting in my Jeep in a couple weeks

Seems like there were many issues with the manuals, apart from the AX-15. A friend of mine over here with a 2005 4-cyl with the NVG360 was going through hell. Talking about 30+ tries sometimes to shift to Reverse before deciding to repair the tranny.

Unfortunately, in Greece we have nowhere near the abundance of parts you guys have over there so switching to an AX -5 was not an option.

Good luck with your swap!

Yeah the Ax-15 has been used in so many different vehicles, and parts are abundant here for them. It stinks that it’s hard to find the parts over seas. Thank you I’ll let you all know how it goes here in a couple weeks

Hey Johnny
Hey, just curious what head lights are you going with ?? man, the OEM lights are so bad, I'm ready to do mine. Can't see a thing !!
I have found over the years being a Chevy, Benz, BMW, Nissan customer that MOPAR parts, cars & trucks are among the worst for durability, reliability, including fit, finish & warranty. SORRY ——————— this includes the RAM truck as well. They are the only truck in my area I still see rust on & paint / finish issues. Cheap price & poor quality keep the sales rolling. I realize this might not be the norm but, It's very common & Dodge could care less. Pay the extra money for a Ford, Chevy, or GMC pick up, you WO'NT regret it !!

I bought glass headlights that I can change the bulb in. I really like the old school look over the led new lights. But that’s me, if you interested let me know I’ll get into my Amazon around and send you the link for them

I bought glass headlights that I can change the bulb in. I really like the old school look over the led new lights. But that’s me, if you interested let me know I’ll get into my Amazon around and send you the link for them
thanks / are they nice & bright ?

They are much brighter but I have the lights that came with the lenses, you can always buy bighter bulbs if you wanted to, but mine are bright enough and if I need more I hit my 2 led flood lights

8D1BEB21-1AA2-4907-8484-482243EEBE61.png