Hi from Australia

Fr11ts

Hi jeepaholics, I’m Jason from Sydney Australia 🇦🇺
I have a new Jeep addiction called a tj 😜 so I thought I’d join this group to help feed the addiction!

27CC59E5-AA25-4953-ADC6-9BFFF449F47E.jpeg

2EB8E4C2-993C-42E4-9CA1-76FA0DD4A673.jpeg

E015C49B-2263-4040-843F-2BA069BAC7D6.jpeg

Welcome! Why go backwards in your build with steel rims?

Welcome! Why go backwards in your build with steel rims?
Thanks buddy, I'm keen to keep learning

The main reason is so that if I damage it out on the trail or while touring I can always get a hammer to bend it back onto shape, where as alloy would be totally split.

What are your thoughts?

The main reason is so that if I damage it out on the trail or while touring I can always get a hammer to bend it back onto shape, where as alloy would be totally split.

What are your thoughts?
I've been on this forum for 5 years and can't recall anyone cracking an alloy wheel and splitting it. These are people who are wheelin' hard in the rocks.

I have seen several steel wheels bent and ruined beyond repair and many replaced them with alloy.

Steel wheels are also heavier which negatively affects performance.

What are your thoughts?
I watched a guy spin a rear tire with a steel rim against a rock. It rolled the outy bead to be a full inny bead and pushed the tire bead completely over and puked out all the air. That rim will never run a tire again and no amount of trail hammering will fix that.

On the same trails, I've seen several more fully damaged steel rims, I've yet to see a failed alloy wheel. Damaged, but never to the point of needing changing out. I know of them, I've seen pics, never seen it in person.

Ok cool good advice, thank you both!
I definitely prefer the look of alloy rims, I guess not all alloys are created equal either? Any good brands to look out for? Or steer away from?

Ok cool good advice, thank you both!
I definitely prefer the look of alloy rims, I guess not all alloys are created equal either? Any good brands to look out for? Or steer away from?
Can't say I'm into Method wheels, but I wouldn't worry too much about brand. Just get something with proper backspacing around 3.75-4".