Hi / low beams switched

MellowYellow

TJ Enthusiast
04TJ I've had for over a year. My "high beam" dash light comes on when my low beams are on. Is it as simple as rotating my bulbs 180 degrees? They appear to be factory lights.

Been that way since I bought it. The high beams come on, but the high beam dash light goes off. Just a little irritating driving with my little blue dash light on.

I wonder if it's the switch itself. It wouldn't have anything to do with the bulbs.

Been that way since I bought it. The high beams come on, but the high beam dash light goes off. Just a little irritating driving with my little blue dash light on.
My guess is there was a headlight socket issue problem on the driver's side and the high and low beam wires were reversed when the socket was replaced. The passenger side headlight wiring is connected to the driver's side wiring. Or a similar type of headlight wiring repair/screw-up by a previous owner.

Reactions: Daryl and Chris
My guess is there was a headlight socket issue problem on the driver's side and the high and low beam wires were reversed when the socket was replaced. The passenger side headlight wiring is connected to the driver's side wiring. Or a similar type of headlight wiring repair/screw-up by a previous owner.
So I can look at a wiring diagram and switch two wires at the drivers side headlight? I thought (hoped) it would be something simple....or would it be easier to just rotate the headlights?

So I can look at a wiring diagram and switch two wires at the drivers side headlight? I thought (hoped) it would be something simple....or would it be easier to just rotate the headlights?
It definitely wouldn't be easy to rotate the headlights since they are keyed to only mount in one orientation nor would they be properly focused afterward if you managed to do that.

Reversing the violet/white wire with the red/orange wire leading from the driver's side wiring harness to the headlight will reverse the low/high beam connections for both headlights.

Reactions: MellowYellow
It definitely wouldn't be easy to rotate the headlights since they are keyed to only mount in one orientation nor would they be properly focused afterward if you managed to do that.

Reversing the violet/white wire with the red/orange wire leading from the driver's side wiring harness to the headlight will reverse the low/high beam connections for both headlights.
Thanks. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. I wouldn't bother with it, but I'm considering a lighting upgrade this summer.