Hi there I have pink spooge coming out of my top radiator hose

5 speed

So I have an 05 LJ and I popped the hood and found this pink dried bubble gum ooze around the top radiator hose where it meets the radiator and also where it goes into the thermo housing. I looked at the radiator and its full and I dont see any oil slick or anything. Also, the reservoir is full and not leaking. I have never noticed this before so any idea what is going on ? I put a new radiator cap on just because and I had the air con on high and it stayed right at 210ish. Should I be concerned or?

IMG_4586.JPG

Reactions: Chris
It looks like that stuff you put on radiator houses to keep them from seizing in place. That way when you go to remove them it's much easier.

I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like. Seems like the hot heat may have bubbled the excess. Someone probably put way too much on there.

Thanks for the reply but I dont think so. You can see its the original hose in the original position. It wasnt there before; this is a new occurrence. I have owned the jeep for about 3 years.

Ohhh... So it's a new thing then?

What color is your coolant? Is it pink?

You likely mixed the dexcool with another coolant. If you did indeed mixed the two, flush your system immediately. They are coagulating.

Dex cool should never to be mixed with ethelyn glycol coolant, soon it will be as thick as molasses.

Here's a bit of info on it FYI:

Can I mix green coolant with orange coolant?
This is one of those questions that is usually asked after the fact, and usually engine damage has already occurred. The green and orange coolants do not mix. When mixed together they form a gel-like substance that stops coolant flow and consequently the engine overheats.

There are some coolants that claim compatibility with Dexcool, but I would rather err conservatively and add what the system is supposed to take rather than take the gamble. To guard against major engine failure, read on.

What exactly happens when these coolants are mixed?
The coolants chemically react and form a gel rather than a liquid. The coolant stops flowing through the system, clogs up coolant passageways and water jackets, radiators, and heater cores. The water pump overheats and fails due to a lack of lubricant in the coolant. Head gaskets blow, heads warp, and the engine suffers major damage.

What exactly is Dexcool?
In the 1990s, GM introduced an engine coolant called Dexcool. It's supposed to last 5 years or 150,000 miles but there have been problems with this coolant. Cooling systems that use Dexcool exhibit more acid buildup and rust in the system when the coolant level gets low and oxygen is allowed to enter the system. The acid eats away at head gaskets and intake gaskets. Rust builds up in the system, inhibiting coolant flow, which causes overheating.

Overall, numerous cooling system problems have been attributed to the use of this controversial product, although GM sternly stands behind it. There were class action suits against GM on this issue, and GM reached settlement agreements with some owners starting in 2008.

Hi there and thanks for all the info. I know before I added coolant to the reservoir I looked and it appeared to be the orange stuff. So I bought dexcool but I suppose maybe it only looked orange? Who knows but clearly a flush is in order. Thanks for the tips!!!

Hi there and thanks for all the info. I know before I added coolant to the reservoir I looked and it appeared to be the orange stuff. So I bought dexcool but I suppose maybe it only looked orange? Who knows but clearly a flush is in order. Thanks for the tips!!!

All it would have taken was a little bit of the wrong coolant in there. That would be enough to coagulate. What I would do now is flush it very thoroughly with several gallons of distilled water.

Hi there and thanks for all the info. I know before I added coolant to the reservoir I looked and it appeared to be the orange stuff. So I bought dexcool but I suppose maybe it only looked orange? Who knows but clearly a flush is in order.
:eek: Don't wait to get that flush done!! I"d take it to a shop where a THOROUGH flush can be done.

After a flush, a very good coolant to start using would be Zerex G-05 which is a superb long-lasting coolant. Make sure to only dilute it to the recommended 50:50 strength with distilled water, don't use tap water. You can also buy it pre-mixed with distilled water though that costs more.

Mixing coolant types can cause big problems, especially where Dexcool is concerned. Google Dexcool problems and you'll pull up plenty of nightmare stories about the issues GM owners have had with it.

Reactions: Chris and Stinger
Jerry, thanks for the info, I will probably take it to the dealer so I know it fully flushed as well as the heater core. What about the theromostat, any point in replacing it or will the flush chemicals take care of it?

I'd probably remove the thermostat for the flush since the flush is unlikely to get warm enough for the thermostat to open and allow the flush to flow past it. Since it'd be out, I'd replace it with a new 195 degree replacement... just make sure to install a conventional thermostat and not a fail-safe model which is known to fail in the open position. A 195 degree Stant SuperStat thermostat would be a good one to install if your local store carries it. NAPA normally carries them.

Reactions: _thejoker_