Hi Y'all!

Welcome from Fredericksburg! X3 to @b0xcar and @Kyle_W. We wheeled a Hidden Falls last Saturday. If you’re anywhere near the Hill Country come on out!

What do you have planned for the Jeep, beyond the.50 cal!

Thank You:)

I'm just under an hour North of Austin, so the "Hill Country" is in my figurative "backyard" - when considering the context of Texas. And so, for sure, I look forward to hook'n up with y'all, soon:)

Beyond the .50 cal, my Mod Wish List is as follows:

*Winch

*Some kinda change-up to my rear bumper and spare tire situation. I have a HD spare tire mount (from Extreme Terrain), on my tailgate, which nicely clears the bumper. But, I want to add some kinda bracket/mount/configuration which places the weight of the spare on the bumper, and which also gives me a cargo rack above the spare, as well as side-cargo-racks, for Jerry Cans or RotoPacks, and other stuff. I'm not sure if there is a system which can be added-to the SmittyBuilt bumper, or whether I would need to replace the bumper altogether (?).

*Dana 44 Rear Axle. So far my Dana 35 has held-up nicely, in some pretty gnarly terrain. On a 1-to-5 Scale for wheeling difficulty, I've had the Jeep consistently in the 3.5-level trails, and a few times in 4-level (in the Pacific Northwest), and with no problems. I am told however that it's wisdom to eventually fork-over the $ to get the Dana 44. I've been wheeling it about 5 years or so pretty steadily, with no issues.

*CB

*Stereo Upgrade

*Cargo Rack

Last edited:

I'm just under an hour North of Austin, so the "Hill Country" is in my figurative "backyard" - when considering the context of Texas. And so, for sure, I look forward to hook'n up with y'all, soon:)

*Winch

*Some kinda change-up to my rear bumper and spare tire situation. I have a HD spare tire mount (from Extreme Terrain), on my tailgate, which nicely clears the bumper. But, I want to add some kinda bracket/mount/configuration which places the weight of the spare on the bumper, and which also gives me a cargo rack above the spare, as well as side-cargo-racks, for Jerry Cans or RotoPacks, and other stuff. I'm not sure if there is a system which can be added-to the SmittyBuilt bumper, or whether I would need to replace the bumper all together (?).

*Dana 44 Rear Axle. So far my Dana 35 has held-up nicely, in some pretty gnarly terrain. On a 1-to-5 Scale for wheeling difficulty, I've had the Jeep consistently in the 3.5-level trails, and a few times in 4-level (in the Pacific Northwest), and with no problems. I am told however that it's wisdom to eventually fork-over the $ to get the Dana 44. I've been wheeling it about 5 years or so pretty steadily, with no issues.

*CB

*Stereo Upgrade

*Cargo Rack
Welcome aboard! Did you up grade your rear axles when you put in your 4:56 gears and went to 35" tires?

*Winch

*Some kinda change-up to my rear bumper and spare tire situation. I have a HD spare tire mount (from Extreme Terrain), on my tailgate, which nicely clears the bumper. But, I want to add some kinda bracket/mount/configuration which places the weight of the spare on the bumper, and which also gives me a cargo rack above the spare, as well as side-cargo-racks, for Jerry Cans or RotoPacks, and other stuff. I'm not sure if there is a system which can be added-to the SmittyBuilt bumper, or whether I would need to replace the bumper all together (?).

*CB

*Stereo Upgrade

*Cargo Rack
Nice wish list.

One alternative option for the spare tire, bumper situation, is the Exogate/MoRyde tailgate reinforcement kit and hinges. It allows you to run that 35" spare without tying it into the bumper. Then you can do whatever you want with the bumper/cargo system.

That's good to know about your Dana 35. I'm still on the Dana 35 and wheeling it pretty hard, although I'm easy on the skinny pedal, but I have a Dana 44 sitting on my garage floor and 4.56 gears ready to go. Just need to get it all installed. Then I'll have that peace of mind!

Look forward to seeing your rig in person and wheelin these beasts!

Reactions: b0xcar
Welcome aboard! Did you up grade your rear axles when you put in your 4:56 gears and went to 35" tires?

When I went from the stock 3:07 to 4:56 gears, I also had Detroit TruTrac LSD's installed in both axles - retaining the Dana 30 and Dana 35.

Nice wish list.

One alternative option for the spare tire, bumper situation, is the Exogate/MoRyde tailgate reinforcement kit and hinges. It allows you to run that 35" spare without tying it into the bumper. Then you can do whatever you want with the bumper/cargo system.

That's good to know about your Dana 35. I'm still on the Dana 35 and wheeling it pretty hard, although I'm easy on the skinny pedal, but I have a Dana 44 sitting on my garage floor and 4.56 gears ready to go. Just need to get it all installed. Then I'll have that peace of mind!

Look forward to seeing your rig in person and wheelin these beasts!

Thanks for the tip on the Exogate and MoRyde tailgate reinforcement options. I just checked-out the MoRyde (from Extreme Terrain) and it looks like a rugged piece:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/morryde-tailgate-reinforcement-kit-9706.html

I've picked up several items from Extreme Terrain over the past few years, and have been happy with their stuff.

The Exogate also looks like a good option:

https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

Same here - looking forward to a meet-up in "Hill Country" :)

Nice looking ride. Maybe one day mine will grow up. Unfortunately, I am limited due to the 4 cyl.

Thank You :)

I've encountered some pretty "grown up" 4-bangers in my day.

Not too long ago I was visiting the Pacific Northwest, and grinding-out some pretty challenging trails at "Tahuya National Park" on the peninsula, immediately NW of Belfair. The local 4x4 clubs have done a great job of working those trails. One trail in particular contained a very "dry" joke at the very end--whereas the only way to exit the trail was that to climb over a bunch of boulders--like 25 yards worth, or so. At the time, I had not aired-down, and didn't have any sway bay disconnects installed (I have them now). And, I had entered the park based upon a 10-year-old web site that said the trails "were for panzies." I didn't know that in the past few years the 4x4 clubs had seriously re-worked the trails, making them pretty hairy in several spots. Anyhow, it was a very violent exit from that trail, and I think I lost a few tooth fillings that day:confused:

Anyhow, a 4-banger was along for the ride, with very similar mods to mine, and tore up the trails right nicely:)

Last edited:
Nice TJ, and welcome to the forum.

Couple questions - Extreme Terrain carries several spare wheel carriers, which one did you go with?

Also, what is an Old Man EMU HD track bar? Never heard of that one...

Reactions: Jeepers-n-Creepers

Couple questions - Extreme Terrain carries several spare wheel carriers, which one did you go with?

Thank you :)

My ExtremeTerrain tire carrier is this model below:

https://www.extremeterrain.com/olympic-4x4-extended-duty-tj-yj-708124.html

It is super solid (heavy-duty steel). It handles the weight of the steelie wheel and the 35" KM2 just fine. Although, I do plan to replace the tailgate hinges with some heavy-duty ones, to differ a lot of undue stress and strain on the stocks ones, as many have warned they will eventually give-out. I'm also considering replacing the rear bumper with an identical one, which includes the swing-tire-carrier, so'z I can load-up the carrier with an over-the-wheel cargo basket as well as RotoPax. For the present however, and again, this carrier is super solid.

I'm bummed that I cannot simply add the swing-tire-carrier to this bumper, versus having to replace the whole thing. I like the way this one (XRC) is made, super solid, and cradles the gas tank real nice (it has saved my tank a couple times to date, rather handsomely).

With regard to the "Old Man EMU" HD trackbar; I've purchased many parts from these folks at "Morris 4x4 Center" (which I think is based in Utah -?). I had a lifted and heavily built "WJ" ('99 Grand Cherokee) once upon a time, which sported many parts from the Morris guys. They really took care of me over many years - treated me right nice.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/suspension/lift-kit/old_man_emu.htm

I looked for the Old Man EMU HD trackbar, and couldn't find it. The one I have may be this one:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/front-heavy-duty-track-bar-with-flex-joint-jks-ogs128.html

I'm a little foggy on recollection of precisely which one it is.

So the tire carrier is an Olympic, which replaces the stock carrier. I'd be cautious about carrying a 35" (or 33" for that matter) on that for an extended time, as it can tweak both the tailgate hinges, and the tailgate itself due to the higher weight, plus being further out from the body. A better solution than that or a swing out tire carrier bumper is the Exogate tailgate reinforcement system, which beefs up the tailgate, hinges, and tire carrier. Then you don't have to open the swing out tire carrier, then the tailgate separately, just to get something out of the back of your Jeep.

To my knowledge, OME does not have a track bar, just the bracket for mounting the rear track bar after a lift.

Indeed. Per my previous response, I am being dully "cautious" of the tailgate hinges. When I'm ascending a Level-5 incline in the future, and I see in my rear-view mirror, my tailgate and spare bouncing down the hillside, I'll know its time to go to a different set-up :)

With respect to my HD track bar; I've been deeply vexed since you've pointed-out that it couldn't be an Old Man EMU. It was ordered amidst several Old Man EMU parts for my WJ. One thing's for sure--its heavy duty. I did take a closer look at it last night, and found a sticker on it, which reads:

"Red Hot Parts, Chicago, IL"

Say, you don't suppose...

Nice forensics there, @glwood:)

1543953969809.png

I was going through my mound of receipts in my glove box the other day, and there within the "Morris 4x4" receipts, amidst my "Old Man EMU" WJ parts, was the heavy-duty "JKS" (brand) track bar for my TJ.

Also, I've decided to go with a bumper-mounted tire-swing option, for the spare. I may yet replace the stock tailgate hinges, as they've seen some serious abuse off-road over the years.