Hidden Falls solo wheelin'

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
I've been itching to go back to Hidden Falls since installing a tummy tuck and making a few other changes to my Jeep since my last trip about a year ago. I finally got the opportunity this past weekend to go with my dad and we had a great time. I always regret not having pictures or videos of wheeling trips, so I was grateful to have my dad tag along and take plenty of GoPro video and pictures. I also enjoy "wheeling vicariously" through this section of the forum when I get the itch and figured I ought to post up for y'all ;)

Pictures first:

20210904_194007.jpg

Sunset on top of Wildcat Mountain

IMG_0966.JPEG

The falls, down to a trickle right now

20210904_103838.jpg

Accidentally got vertical enough to lose oil pressure here :oops:

20210904_103831.jpg

20210905_093109.jpg

Many of the obstacles in the park are ledges like this one, with a nice undercut under a shelf of limestone

20210905_100828.jpg

20210905_101336.jpg

IMG_0946.JPEG

Obligatory poser shot

GH010065_Moment(3).jpg

Wish this were a picture and not a screencapture

GOPR0099.JPG

After running out of level 4 trails and wanting something more challenging, we started venturing onto the level 5 trails. This one is called Stonehenge. It's rated 5 but felt like a 4 until the very end, when I rolled up to this - a massive wall of rock (me for scale). I wanted to get a poser shot of my front tires on the wall just for kicks, but couldn't even get that close because of the huge wheel holes dug out at the base of the wall.

IMG_0953.JPEG

20210905_103924.jpg

IMG_0950.JPEG

Last edited:
Loose rock is the trail that took out my rear driveshaft. Sorry I couldn't make it out there this past weekend. Hopefully in the future we will meet on the trails.

We are taking a trip to Merus Adventure park out by Abilene, TX. It's another 6/7 hours west of Hidden Falls. We will be wheeling the 29th and 30th of this month. You're more than welcome to join us.

I've been itching to go back to Hidden Falls since installing a tummy tuck and making a few other changes to my Jeep since my last trip about a year ago. I finally got the opportunity this past weekend to go with my dad and we had a great time. I always regret not having pictures or videos of wheeling trips, so I was grateful to have my dad tag along and take plenty of GoPro video and pictures. I also enjoy "wheeling vicariously" through this section of the forum when I get the itch and figured I ought to post up for y'all ;)

Pictures first:

View attachment 275488
Sunset on top of Wildcat Mountain

View attachment 275490
The falls, down to a trickle right now

View attachment 275495
Accidentally got vertical enough to lose oil pressure here :oops:

View attachment 275496
View attachment 275502
Many of the obstacles in the park are ledges like this one, with a nice undercut under a shelf of limestone

View attachment 275503
View attachment 275504
View attachment 275505
Obligatory poser shot

View attachment 275507
Wish this were a picture and not a screencapture

View attachment 275508
After running out of level 4 trails and wanting something more challenging, we started venturing onto the level 5 trails. This one is called Loose Rock. It's rated 5 but felt like a 4 until the very end, when I rolled up to this - a massive wall of rock (me for scale). I wanted to get a poser shot of my front tires on the wall just for kicks, but couldn't even get that close because of the huge wheel holes dug out at the base of the wall.

View attachment 275511
View attachment 275517
View attachment 275506
Great post. Enjoyed the pics and commentary. Hidden Falls is my old wheelin’ grounds. Miss her. Great job!

Reactions: Tob
We are taking a trip to Merus Adventure park out by Abilene, TX. It's another 6/7 hours west of Hidden Falls. We will be wheeling the 29th and 30th of this month. You're more than welcome to join us.
Hidden Falls is already about 6 hours from me, and I can’t justify 12+ hours one way for 2 days of wheeling, plus I don’t tow, so if I break I’m stranded. I appreciate the invite but I wish I lived closer to some of these parks!
Great post. Enjoyed the pics and commentary. Hidden Falls is my old wheelin’ grounds. Miss her. Great job!
Thanks, it’s one of my favorite parks that I’ve been to so far.

I’ve got a bunch of GoPro footage too that I’ll post as soon as I can figure out a way to upload - I was having trouble yesterday. Maybe I’ll try YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Hidden Falls is already about 6 hours from me, and I can’t justify 12+ hours one way for 2 days of wheeling, plus I don’t tow, so if I break I’m stranded. I appreciate the invite t I wish I lived closer to some of these parks!

Thanks, it’s one of my favorite parks that I’ve been to so far.

I’ve got a bunch of GoPro footage too that I’ll post as soon as I can figure out a way to upload - I was having trouble yesterday. Maybe I’ll try YouTube.
YouTube is the way to go. Look forward to it!

And here's the the videos!

Note - I trimmed out most of the bad lines, boring parts, and Helen Keller-ing, so this is the highlight reel.

First, I'd like to say how much more fun you can have with a tummy tuck. I went on a lot of trails I probably shouldn't have been on with 31's where a tummy tuck and lockers got me through. I was pretty smug walking up Revenge first try this time, where last year I kept getting hung up on the transfer case skid. The line I took this time was a bit sketchy - you can see my dad drop the GoPro for a moment and say "ooof" nervously 😄
It was also this ledge where I bent the tub corner, coming down it via a really poorly chosen line.

My dad hasn't done a bunch of off-roading, so I decided to start on a mild but fun trail, North Pole. It follows the northern fenceline of the property and has a few good sections of climbs and descents.

This ledge has a sign next to it saying something like "CAUTION: EXTREME DANGER". I ain't no yella belly, so of course I passed up the bypass and went down it.

I almost made it up this ledge, but decided to back off before I did something stupid.

I was so close on this one too. They'll be on my hit list next visit.

I didn't really expect my dad to do any spotting since he hasn't done much of this, but he did help when I was stubborn on bad lines.

There is one inescapable weakness to small tires that I hate - rutted trails. This was Green Mile, a fun level 4 trail, that I kept digging my diffs into.

I really didn't want to turn back down and miss the rest of the trail, so I winched past the last bit of ruts and kept going.
GH010087_Moment.jpg

Here is the top of Stonehenge, the trail with the ridiculous obstacle at the end. This video shows a better angle of the base of the obstacle than the pictures. I'd love to watch something make it up that wall...

I have one more video of me bending the rocker panel at the end of Wet N Wild, but YouTube won't let me upload any more right now. I'll add it later.

Before y'all come after me, yes, I know my JJ's are creaking and cracking like an old grandma. I'm on it.

Last edited:
And here's the the videos!

Note - I trimmed out most of the bad lines, boring parts, and Helen Keller-ing, so this is the highlight reel.

First, I'd like to say how much more fun you can have with a tummy tuck. I went on a lot of trails I probably shouldn't have been on with 31's where a tummy tuck and lockers got me through. I was pretty smug walking up Revenge first try this time, where last year I kept getting hung up on the transfer case skid. The line I took this time was a bit sketchy - you can see my dad drop the GoPro for a moment and say "ooof" nervously 😄
It was also this ledge where I bent the tub corner, coming down it via a really poorly chosen line.

My dad hasn't done a bunch of off-roading, so I decided to start on a mild but fun trail, North Pole. It follows the northern fenceline of the property and has a few good sections of climbs and descents.

This ledge has a sign next to it saying something like "CAUTION: EXTREME DANGER". I ain't no yella belly, so of course I passed up the bypass and went down it.

I almost made it up this ledge, but decided to back off before I did something stupid.

I was so close on this one too. They'll be on my hit list next visit.

I didn't really expect my dad to do any spotting since he hasn't done much of this, but he did help when I was stubborn on bad lines.

There is one inescapable weakness to small tires that I hate - rutted trails. This was Green Mile, a fun level 4 trail, that I kept digging my diffs into.

I really didn't want to turn back down and miss the rest of the trail, so I winched past the last bit of ruts and kept going.
View attachment 277587

Here is the top of Stonehenge, the trail with the ridiculous obstacle at the end. This video shows a better angle of the base of the obstacle than the pictures. I'd love to watch something make it up that wall...

I have one more video of me bending the rocker panel at the end of Wet N Wild, but YouTube won't let me upload any more right now. I'll add it later.

Before y'all come after me, yes, I know my JJ's are creaking and cracking like an old grandma. I'm on it.
Now that's the wheelin' I miss. Familiar with most of those. Not sure I completed all those though. Don't think I ever tried Stonehenge. Great driving! You're patient and wait for traction rather than hitting the skinny pedal. Well done. Enjoyed every video and the one pic. Would love to be there now that I'm on 35's.

What kind of tire are you running? The two denied attempts at North Pole made me wonder.

Unsolicited advice: sometimes if you're struggling up an obstacle I think it's because your wheels are turned. If you can get your rig pointed straight at the obstacle the traction will be a lot better. Sometimes that's not possible, of course.

Very enjoyable videos. Make me want to be there. ☹️

EDIT: You made a lot of that look very easy. A lot of people are not going to like you for that!
EDIT 2: Ok, I thought those were Duratracs. I read your profile and confirmed. I think you'd do even better with an MT. I think you might have made the North Pole ledge.

Last edited:
Now that's the wheelin' I miss. Familiar with most of those. Not sure I completed all those though. Don't think I ever tried Stonehenge. Great driving! You're patient and wait for traction rather than hitting the skinny pedal. Well done. Enjoyed every video and the one pic. Would love to be there now that I'm on 35's.

What kind of tire are you running? The two denied attempts at North Pole made me wonder.

Unsolicited advice: sometimes if you're struggling up an obstacle I think it's because your wheels are turned. If you can get your rig pointed straight at the obstacle the traction will be a lot better. Sometimes that's not possible, of course.

Very enjoyable videos. Make me want to be there. ☹️
Thanks! They are 265/75 16 Duratracs. The rocks there really tear them up though. The treads are all ripped up and have chunks missing, especially after this last trip. I do appreciate the quietness and wet traction on road though.

In the "denied 2" video, you can see the rear passenger tire digging into a hole instead of pushing towards the obstacle. I couldn't see that from the driver's seat but noticed it was holding me up when I watched the video. I wondered about tires too, and if different ones would have made a significant difference. I'll probably stick with these until I go to 33's though, which will be a while.

Thanks! They are 265/75 16 Duratracs. The rocks there really tear them up though. The treads are all ripped up and have chunks missing, especially after this last trip. I do appreciate the quietness and wet traction on road though.

In the "denied 2" video, you can see the rear passenger tire digging into a hole instead of pushing towards the obstacle. I couldn't see that from the driver's seat but noticed it was holding me up when I watched the video. I wondered about tires too, and if different ones would have made a significant difference. I'll probably stick with these until I go to 33's though, which will be a while.
I think it's crazy how much you were able to get up out there. The lockers and TT are super great setup . So capable. 33's will be nice. I think tires make a big difference. The Cooper STT Pro's are a great hybrid tire. Most think they are an MT, but they're not. They definitely don't hum like my Maxxis Razr MT's do. My KM3's are still under review. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set of Cooper STT Pro's after running GY MTR, Maxxis Razr MT, and KM3's.

Reactions: Tldelaney and Tob
I think it's crazy how much you were able to get up out there. The lockers and TT are super great setup . So capable. 33's will be nice. I think tires make a big difference. The Cooper STT Pro's are a great hybrid tire. Most think they are an MT, but they're not. They definitely don't hum like my Maxxis Razr MT's do. My KM3's are still under review. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set of Cooper STT Pro's after running GY MTR, Maxxis Razr MT, and KM3's.
Yes, it'll be nice to get 33's on, but I want to do it right, so I'll be adding chromoly shafts, a regear, 33's, a brake upgrade, and possibly ARB's all at the same time. That's a big ticket, so it may be a while before I dive into it. And thanks again for the advice!

Yes, it'll be nice to get 33's on, but I want to do it right, so I'll be adding chromoly shafts, a regear, 33's, a brake upgrade, and possibly ARB's all at the same time. That's a big ticket, so it may be a while before I dive into it. And thanks again for the advice!
Man, I still can’t believe you were doing all that on something like a 32” tire. Lockers are awesome though. Take you so many places, and the TT, well, that speaks for itself, so much clearance. I would love to have my rig there now and try some of those trails. I need rear chromo’s is all. I’d just take it easy on the skinny pedal.

bummer about the wheel holes dug out at the base of climbs. Big tire-skinny pedal wheelers really ruin things for not-huge-tire wheelers sometimes.

bummer about the wheel holes dug out at the base of climbs. Big tire-skinny pedal wheelers really ruin things for not-huge-tire wheelers sometimes.
Go anywhere with a mud hole such as Drummond, the big tire guys make it near impossible for a 35 to make it through.

• Sad
Reactions: Mike_H and Tob
Good to see a Louisiana boy on here! Nice videos.😎
Likewise! Not too many of us on here. If you’re ever looking for people to wheel with, hit me up. We’ve got a “seven slot society” club over here that makes multiple trips per year to hot springs if you’re ever interested in joining. Most are mall crawling JK’s, but there’s a core group of wheelers that are cool people.

Reactions: NOLAJeep
Here's the last video. I started to walk up, but held off when I heard the body mount scraping. This video is a great example of why wheelwell-to-wheelwell rocker protection is important.

Ah crap! Good illustration of ww2ww importance though. I guess sliders will be in your near future.