High Mileage 2001 Sahara Build

Doing a some tow rig test driving today. Had to rent something to get home for thanksgiving. Ended up with a 2019 supercrew F150 with the 5.0 in it. Will probably end up with something similar come spring. It is easy to maneuver around chicago and actually pretty nice to drive.

I was looking at older diesels at one point, but those make no sense due to the prices people want and the fact I’ll be using it in Chicago mostly.

4F552200-34D7-4303-AA03-239EAC89376F.jpeg

Reactions: Apparition
Doing a some tow rig test driving today. Had to rent something to get home for thanksgiving. Ended up with a 2019 supercrew F150 with the 5.0 in it. Will probably end up with something similar come spring. It is easy to maneuver around chicago and actually pretty nice to drive.

I was looking at older diesels at one point, but those make no sense due to the prices people want and the fact I’ll be using it in Chicago mostly.

View attachment 205541

Been looking at F150s too. A buddy of mine has the 5.0 and he loves the way it tows his Defender 90, even out here on the CO passes. Plus they have great prices currently for 2018/19 models. I keep looking for a diesel but we have the same story; high mileage (over 150k) and $30k+. Get to 200k miles and the price drops to $20k. Ridiculous.

Been looking at F150s too. A buddy of mine has the 5.0 and he loves the way it tows his Defender 90, even out here on the CO passes. Plus they have great prices currently for 2018/19 models. I keep looking for a diesel but we have the same story; high mileage (over 150k) and $30k+. Get to 200k miles and the price drops to $20k. Ridiculous.

This one is pretty nice. No options at all which is probably what I would end up with. Would pull a TJ just fine.

I like the idea of having a project diesel truck while I’m young and don’t have a wife to yell at me when it breaks down on the side of the road, but I’m not paying $20k for a project diesel. Lunacy.

Reactions: tworley

View attachment 205541
I just got a 17' 3.5 ecoboost, the torque is real! Will have no problem towing the TJ

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Got back to Chicago and to the Jeep today. Fired it up and noticed a little more exhaust smoke than typical (smelled a little sweet for my liking as well). Coolant is still full, but I've had a sneaking suspicion that the head gasket has a small leak for a while now. Engine is 100% original internally with 233k miles. Just going to wait it out and see since I don't drive the Jeep much anymore. Might look into it next summer since the head gasket is a pretty easy job and I'll hopefully have a tow rig by then (finger crossed).

This is what the rest of my December looks like roughly. Did the first Philly to Chicago leg today in my Dad's Grand Cherokee. Was slightly consider taking the TJ on the western loop, but I'm thinking the Cherokee will be a better bet now. Will be more comfortable anyways I guess.

Capture.PNG