High Mileage 2001 Sahara Build

Hardcore kit on today as well as the winch line and steering box skid. Front is buttoned up.

83E977F5-04F0-4648-8863-2F6F53E09D05.jpeg

Also in full summer now.

CBBDA052-6ED2-4729-8AEC-F1318A5889C3.jpeg

Still trying to figure out this starting problem. I have literally make 0 attempts to fix it so I’m going to do that soon.

I can’t wait to install mine!!! It just looks soo good!!

The hardcore upgrade is pretty easy. All pictures, including mine above, make the plates look angled downwards a fair bit. Mine are angled just a little downward but not as drastically as the photos make it look. Just make sure you have a grinder for the bumper. Mine don't fit perfectly and the passenger plate hangs over the edge of the bumper a little. I was running an electric grinder off a generator today because we've been kicked out of my University's shop space due to the virus so I tried to grind for as little time as possible. My ears are still recovering :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Gave the Jeep new 10W-30 and cleaned my IAC.

Went to install my heat shield and found something interesting. 4 out of 6 injectors are cracked... Ordering 6 new Mopar injectors and installing the heat shield when I swap them out.

99F6A11D-A5FD-4B57-B3BF-22D9B759FA9C.jpeg

04A3AF6A-9266-41E7-9C77-D02D33F59D6E.jpeg

8DA53F91-964F-427A-A87B-8D96938C3C02.jpeg

28D70105-C3E2-4785-9310-DE9B5DD45052.jpeg

378E38D8-84E2-44D0-811E-A69498A6D31C.jpeg

Last edited:
I need to figure out how it is bumped. The bumpstops haven't been changed since 3" springs, 33's, and shocks that were too long were put on in 2016. I then swapped to Savvy specc'd 3" lift shocks (with 3" Savvy springs I already had). I still have my old shocks that were too long, so between the two, I should have shocks that work. I might start by getting the 4" springs in there with the old longer BDS fox's I have, and then go back and adjust the bumps when it gets warmer.
You have Savvy 3" springs coming off? I might be interested in knowing what you plan to do with them ;)

Those cracked injectors probably have something to do with your hard starting...I can imagine that when they're warm, the crack opens up and leaks fuel... Causing an overly rich mixture. Does it smoke when it finally fires up?

You have Savvy 3" springs coming off? I might be interested in knowing what you plan to do with them ;)

Those cracked injectors probably have something to do with your hard starting...I can imagine that when they're warm, the crack opens up and leaks fuel... Causing an overly rich mixture. Does it smoke when it finally fires up?

I should have those 3” springs coming off fairly soon. I’m worried about my track bar hitting my gas tank, so we will see. It’s going to take a weekend with my buddy helping, cycling the suspension and such to see.

The injectors are probably the problem. They are original from 2001. I’ve ordered 6 new from rock auto. $480, ouch! I’m not sure if it smokes since I’ve never checked. It does sound like it could be a fuel problem but the starter also sounds like it is slowing down sometimes. I don’t think it is anything electrical because it only happens when warm. Going to swap injectors and install my heat shield. Hopefully that fixes it.

Reactions: Mike_H
I should have those 3” springs coming off fairly soon. I’m worried about my track bar hitting my gas tank, so we will see. It’s going to take a weekend with my buddy helping, cycling the suspension and such to see.

The injectors are probably the problem. They are original from 2001. I’ve ordered 6 new from rock auto. $480, ouch! I’m not sure if it smokes since I’ve never checked. It does sound like it could be a fuel problem but the starter also sounds like it is slowing down sometimes. I don’t think it is anything electrical because it only happens when warm. Going to swap injectors and install my heat shield. Hopefully that fixes it.

Ouch is right on those injectors! But, you can't put a value on reliability...

Let me know on the springs. Everyone on here knows I'm not too proud to run used stuff! :)

Reactions: TJ Starting
Ouch is right on those injectors! But, you can't put a value on reliability...

Let me know on the springs. Everyone on here knows I'm not too proud to run used stuff! :)

When I get them off, I’ll send them over for the same price as the control arms 🙂. Should be sometime before June, hopefully.

Reactions: Mike_H
New injectors are in. Drove it down to the gas station to fill up and didn't notice any difference in how it drove. Tried to trigger the rough start condition and it started fine. Time will tell if this is the fix though. I just did the main heatshield from the kit I got. The individual injector wraps didn't fit as well as I would have hoped and the fuel rail wrap just seemed like it would be irritating. If I have a hard start issue this summer I'll wrap injector 3 in the shield.

IMG_1741.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

New injectors actually caused a worse idle and worse heat-soak start than before. I disconnected the battery to get the computer to relearn them quicker and that helped with the idle a good bit. The starting issue from before is actually gone, but the new injectors have the common TJ heat soak problem worse than my stock ones. I have to wait 30 seconds for the misfire to go away when starting warm. I wrapped #3 in a heat shield yesterday and I'm going to test it out again when it gets warmer. Pretty disappointed in these injectors to be honest.

My black magic brakes have started screeching on ~30% of stops again. I have no clue why. I've taken them apart and cleaned them, done a new break in procedure 3-4 times, and have changed my driving style a ton over the past year. Every time I come to a stop with no one behind me, I make the trepadors squeal hard enough for people on the sidewalk to look at me. @mrblaine , it is possible that the shop that did my brakes messed the install up somehow? I've read about the pads being upside down causing problems, but I've never checked mine. Could that be it? It is only the passenger one and has been happening for about a year. The driver one is nice and quiet.

I bet the pads are upside down. Mine are quiet once I put them in correctly

I’ll have to look up which way they go in. Considering that the driver side has always been perfect and the passenger side has screeched for a year, that would make sense. If only this rain would stop I’d be able to work on the Jeep again 😡

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Installed a new belt so I have the old belt as a spare in the toolbox. Obviously a very easy job and just insurance for the future.

In other news, it appears that one (or more) of my new injectors is leaking. I've been having some long starts after sitting since installing the new injectors, so I decided to investigate. The jeep has been sitting for a couple days, so I walked over and hit the valve on the fuel rail. No fuel came out. This is similar to what would happen if you had a bad anti-drain back valve on the fuel pump. Since this issue appeared right after installing new injectors, I'm betting i have a bad injector instead of a bad fuel pump. Anybody know a good way to check which injector is leaking so I can send it back to RockAuto? I'll have to change the oil again after this is solved to completely clear it of gas, which is annoying since I just did an oil change only a few weeks ago :mad:

My plan for now is to pull the injectors and crank until I see one leak. If anyone has a better plan, let me know!

Back on the hunt for my new fuel loss ssue. If it sits for a night, I have no fuel at the rail in the morning. I got this right after I installed new injectors.

I pulled the injectors and put them on some shop towels. Then I cycled the key multiple times. I was expecting to see an injector leak and put fuel on the shop towel. Nothing.

Two ideas:

is cranking fuel pressure different than cycling fuel pressure? This could cause a faulty injector not to leak when primed by simply cycling.

Somehow my fuel pump went bad right when I swapped injectors.

5880264A-DB35-4A42-B4FA-DCF2ED93C9BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Great pics thx for sharing
Thanks! I have almost an unlimited supply of Jeep photos. They are mostly from Grand Teton National Park and Moab. Here is a dump of some of my favorites. Don't want to lose them so I guess I'll upload them here.

View attachment 55144

View attachment 55145

View attachment 55146

View attachment 55147

View attachment 55148

View attachment 55149

View attachment 55150

View attachment 55151

View attachment 55152

View attachment 55153

View attachment 55154

View attachment 55155

View attachment 55156

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Going to grab a gauge to see what overall fuel pressure I have at the rail after cycling. The pressure should dissipate, but the fuel has to be going somewhere. I’m pretty sure it isn’t draining back into the tank.

Finished up my toolbox install.
Two tips. Don’t be an idiot like me and hit a tub brace while drilling for nutserts. Also, if you want carpet in the back, don’t attach via nutserts. I tried to cut my carpet for the bolts, but attempting to get the bolts through the box, rubber pucks, carpet, and into the nursert is basically impossible.

2E11F49F-251B-4EC2-BECF-841E1B1F3CA1.jpeg

4BA7BC15-EFF1-4FD1-A591-D77656551BE5.jpeg

I also ordered some 6 inch led’s suggested in another thread. I think they will fit nicely on my bumper, but they may be tight.

9466E78A-F06B-422B-9A40-E91523B21060.jpeg

Last edited:
So today was an interesting day and not because I was doing anything interesting on my Jeep. I fixed up my tool box mounting a little bit and tried to install my new header seal. I was working in a parking lot with some buddies. Half way through, a couple "local youth" approached and started to try to steal stuff out of my Jeep while I was working on it less than a foot away. They got two of my knives out of the glovebox and the keys to my Jeep, even tried to start it before I yanked it into neutral and got the keys back. They were clearly high and I eventually scared them off with nothing for their trouble (all knives and keys in my possession). I ended up getting punched in the back of the head through all of this.

This got me thinking. Is it worth having my sentimental Jeep around in Chicago? I'm most likely going to be moving closer downtown next year and can't see myself leaving my Jeep with no doors or roof in a parking garage like I've been doing for the last 3 years. I don't even go wheeling that often anymore. I don't even drive it in the winter due to salt. I've been thinking of this for years, but maybe it is time to send my TJ back home (I'm in college) and get another beater TJ to fill the void...

So today was an interesting day and not because I was doing anything interesting on my Jeep. I fixed up my tool box mounting a little bit and tried to install my new header seal. I was working in a parking lot with some buddies. Half way through, a couple "local youth" approached and started to try to steal stuff out of my Jeep while I was working on it less than a foot away. They got two of my knives out of the glovebox and the keys to my Jeep, even tried to start it before I yanked it into neutral and got the keys back. They were clearly high and I eventually scared them off with nothing for their trouble (all knives and keys in my possession). I ended up getting punched in the back of the head through all of this.

This got me thinking. Is it worth having my sentimental Jeep around in Chicago? I'm most likely going to be moving closer downtown next year and can't see myself leaving my Jeep with no doors or roof in a parking garage like I've been doing for the last 3 years. I don't even go wheeling that often anymore. I don't even drive it in the winter due to salt. I've been thinking of this for years, but maybe it is time to send my TJ back home (I'm in college) and get another beater TJ to fill the void...
What!!? I'd be out of there!:eek:

While I can’t totally relate I can sympathize. I straight up moved when fucktards from the local high school started trying to steal from my jeep (I lived across the street from the high school) Chicago is no slouch when it comes to crime. I’d take the jeep back home and drive a beater while in college. Just my 2 cents. It sucks that this is the reality of the situation, but unless you get a house with some friends and have garage rights then I’d be taking my family heirloom back home and drive it over summer break.

edit: I do love that town though. Had myself some damn good times there 😉

I wasn't all that worried since it was two high and shirtless 15 year olds vs two of my buddies and I, but I can imagine them seeing my doorless Jeep in my parking garage soon and taking advantage of it. I live in one of the nicest suburbs of Chicago, so once I move downtown after graduating next year, it can only get worse. I really think finding a ~$7K TJ and using that for my time here in Chicago is a better move. I can park it anywhere and not care. I've also found that I'm more timid about working on my Jeep since it is so special and I don't want to mess anything up. Being able to work on a TJ without any cares of messing something up would be nice. I would also be able to drive in the winter since I wouldn't have to care as much about salt. Getting a different TJ while I'm in the city is all around a better option. Once I get older and get a house or find a place with a private garage, I would bring my TJ back closer.

This has been a problem for a while. In summer 2018, someone yanked my glovebox open trying to steal whatever was there. They ended up taking nothing, but I'm having a hard time taking this much risk with a Jeep that has been in the family for 20 years anymore. I'll likely be in downtown Chicago for another 5+ years, so this might be a long term setup.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep